T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Exposure Unit Undercutting Neoprene Blanket Question

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 31st, 2015 Mar 31, 2015 2:27:23 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Exposure Unit Undercutting Neoprene Blanket Question

I believe my vacuum exposure unit is undercutting because of a modification that we made when replacing the neoprene blanket. I am getting jagged edges. My friend suggested glueing a washer on when we inserted the tire valve through the neoprene. Please see attached picture of washer/tire valve. There wasn't any washer on the blanket that I was replacing. The tire valve was also replaced when we changed the blanket so I am hoping the tire valve is correct.
The printed side of of the film is closest to the emulsion side so I am sure that is not causing the undercutting. It's NuArc model First Light UV fluorescent.

After I remove the washer does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not I can patch the neoprene in the tire valve area. I am hoping it doesn't put too big of a hole in the new neoprene.
Thanks,
Twillie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washer_closeup.jpg (1,015.8 KB, 42 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2015 Mar 31, 2015 2:43:10 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,481 Posts

Default Re: Exposure Unit Undercutting Neoprene Blanket Question

First the washer isn't causing under cutting and I wouldn't remove it. Is your blanket pulling a good vacuum? It is possible it's letting it suck to the glass because it's now being held strait. Do you have a rope on you glass? If so make sure the valve lands on the rope, my guess if you have the rope the valve was moved enough to cause it not to contact the valve area. if not go get a cotton or poly rope, I wouldn't use a nylon rope unless it's a blend. Tape that in place so the valve always contacts the rope and then over run the screen frame.

Also look at the valve itself where the gold area is on the old valve. There usually is a + cut into the gold portion to prevent it sucking to the glass.

The Following User Says Thank You to sben763 For This Useful Post:
Greatzky (March 31st, 2015)
Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 4:03:11 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twillie
I believe my vacuum exposure unit is undercutting because of a modification that we made when replacing the neoprene blanket. I am getting jagged edges. My friend suggested glueing a washer on when we inserted the tire valve through the neoprene. Please see attached picture of washer/tire valve. There wasn't any washer on the blanket that I was replacing. The tire valve was also replaced when we changed the blanket so I am hoping the tire valve is correct.
The printed side of of the film is closest to the emulsion side so I am sure that is not causing the undercutting. It's NuArc model First Light UV fluorescent.

After I remove the washer does anyone have a suggestion as to whether or not I can patch the neoprene in the tire valve area. I am hoping it doesn't put too big of a hole in the new neoprene.
Thanks,
Twillie
Thanks for the great advice.
I bought this unit used so never had any info using the the rope correctly. I was just laying the rope over the frame. I did not have the rope going underneath the valve. Will fix the today and l see if there is any plus sign on the new valve as I no longer have the old valve.

As for whether or not I have enough vacuum I am not sure about that. The blanket pulls real snug around the frame. However, I think I will take everything apart & take more of the slack out of the blanket to see if that helps.
Thanks, Twillie

Old April 1st, 2015 Apr 1, 2015 9:51:10 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Much improved! I took off valve & put a positive sign on the gold part with a hacksaw. I placed rope under valve. Now the vacuum seems to be drawing much tighter. Less jagged edges than before. Thanks again for the advice.
Twillie

This is a discussion about Exposure Unit Undercutting Neoprene Blanket Question that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in