Printer Stage: What does the Screen Printer Need to Print My Order? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Printer Stage: What does the Screen Printer Need to Print My Order?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 17th, 2006 Aug 17, 2006 3:42:22 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Printer Stage: What does the Screen Printer Need to Print My Order?

So I've got most of my designs together, and I've met 2 printers that I'm interested in dealing with. I chose 2 so I could have a choice based on look and of course price.

My questions basically deal with how to appropriatly dealing with my printers. So far I've emailed my files to them so I can get a quote. One printer will provide shirts, and I've told him what Amer. App. shirt I want. The other printer asks that I provide the shirts.

So as of now I'm waiting for quotes.

Questions...

1. Should I meet with my printer to have a disscustion as to where and how I want my images positioned?

2. Do I need to provide line sheets to my printer?

3. How long does it usually take to get a quote back?

These questions may be odd, but I'm really curious.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2006 Aug 17, 2006 4:26:34 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Default Re: Printer Stage: Questions to Ask a Screen Printer?

Quote:
1. Should I meet with my printer to have a disscustion as to where and how I want my images positioned?
Most printers have standard print locations that you can communicate to them (left front chest, right front chest, center front, center back, back tab, left sleeve, right sleeve).

If you have more specific requests, you should be able to communicate that to your printer via email or phone. Sometimes an in person meeting can help you feel better though

Quote:
I don't think so. I think they only need the graphic file that you want printed. If you are sending them a vector file and want to send them a JPG version of your shirt with the print location, that might also help them "see what you see".

Quote:
3. How long does it usually take to get a quote back?
You should expect a quote within 24-48 hours (or less).

This can also be a good test for you to see how responsive the printer is and how well they communicate.

Hope this helps!

Old August 17th, 2006 Aug 17, 2006 5:02:58 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: Printer Stage: What does the Screen Printer Need to Print My Order?

Yes it does thanks. I guess my questions were pretty simple!

Old August 17th, 2006 Aug 17, 2006 6:01:27 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

good answers Rod.

" What does the Screen Printer Need to Print My Order? "

a deposit. $$

Old August 17th, 2006 Aug 17, 2006 10:56:41 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Just remembered another ques.

I still havent gotten my quote, but my printer says they will include my shirts. Is it a better idea to purchase the shirts on my own and take them to the printer? I just dont know if the printer will jack the price up a bit to make a profit.

I have an EIN # so I can buy wholesale. I'm considering Bella shirts. Do you guys think I should buy my own?

Thoughts...

Old August 17th, 2006 Aug 17, 2006 11:22:50 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

well, keep in mind that your printer may be someone you will need as a working partner long term. You depend on his wormanship to profit.

They don't have a problem (in most cases) when brands supply the shirts. It is done often.

The question is : are you experianced enough to handle the t-shirt supply with out increasing the risk of production problems for the printer where the shirts are defective or someting like that. It does happen, peeps go out to get the cheapest price shirts only to find out that the printer will refuse to work with them. Sometimes its hard to tell between First and second quality goods.

As for Bella, the brand is less popular then "aa". Quality, fit etc... you should examine them yourself really. Cause opinions vary.

Old August 18th, 2006 Aug 18, 2006 3:45:12 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelesque
I just dont know if the printer will jack the price up a bit to make a profit.
Most printers will increase the price a little to make some money; many of those printers will charge more for the printing if you provide your own shirts to make the same amount of money.

Old August 18th, 2006 Aug 18, 2006 5:57:59 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:

Hi Rebelesque,

what are line sheets?

Thank you.

Old August 18th, 2006 Aug 18, 2006 9:05:25 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rodney
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,228 Posts

Quote:
I still havent gotten my quote, but my printer says they will include my shirts. Is it a better idea to purchase the shirts on my own and take them to the printer? I just dont know if the printer will jack the price up a bit to make a profit.
I usually just have the printer supply the shirts. The markup they add usually tries to cover the cost of shipping the blanks to them from the supplier. It shouldn't be a huge profit difference.

Some people prefer to supply their own blanks, but if the printer can get Bella and I can get Bella, I just have the printer do it to save me time.

Also, when the printer buys the blanks, they usually cover stuff like misprints, etc. So if there are misprints (which sometimes happen), they will make sure you aren't short any shirts.

Old August 18th, 2006 Aug 18, 2006 9:17:39 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Lucy,

My printer actually suggested Bella to me, and I've seen it mentioned on the board.

Annushka: From my understanding a line sheet is a presentation of what your garment will look like with a corresponding key. The key will show color, material, item name and number, with a picture of the front and back (if there is something on the back). I guess you can say it's like a spec sheet.

Keep in mind, this is what I got from what I've read before. Feel free to jump in if you have something to add to my definition.

Old August 18th, 2006 Aug 18, 2006 9:20:36 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Annushka: From my understanding a line sheet is a presentation of what your garment will look like with a corresponding key. The key will show color, material, item name and number, with a picture of the front and back (if there is something on the back). I guess you can say it's like a spec sheet.

Keep in mind, this is what I got from what I've read before. Feel free to jump in if you have something to add to my definition.
Oh ok I got it. Thanks

Old August 18th, 2006 Aug 18, 2006 10:28:51 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
From my understanding a line sheet is a presentation of what your garment will look like with a corresponding key. The key will show color, material, item name and number, with a picture of the front and back (if there is something on the back). I guess you can say it's like a spec sheet.
A line sheet is for wholesale purposes so in addition to shirt specs you would need to list your wholesale cost + (optionally) MSRP, minimum order, delivery and cut off dates. Most buyers and sales reps will not deal with you w/o one of these.

Old February 17th, 2007 Feb 17, 2007 11:02:25 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

sorry for bringing up old post, but how do you go about making or obtaining a line sheet...thank u

Old February 18th, 2007 Feb 18, 2007 12:03:04 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9clothing
sorry for bringing up old post, but how do you go about making or obtaining a line sheet...thank u
This tag should give you the information. They're a retail/wholesale thing; you don't need them to get shirts printed.

This is a discussion about Printer Stage: What does the Screen Printer Need to Print My Order? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in