T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

How long does it take to do a screenprint?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 11th, 2006 Aug 11, 2006 1:11:42 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default How long does it take to do a screenprint?

Hello.

I'm setting up a business and I wonder how long it would take to set up one screen print for a tshirt? All my orders will be different, so I cannot reuse same design. Just wondering about the time involved in making ONE tshirt, as I fear it might be quiete a bit and should probably search other avenues. Please let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2006 Aug 11, 2006 1:30:00 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Default Re: How long does it take to do a screenprint?

Depends on the deisgn. Average time for a one color would be from burning the screen, taping, setting up on press about 20 min.
Dont forget to add the printing and then cleaning/reclaiming of the screen.
If your going to be doing a lot of onsies you might look at the Direct to Grament printers. They are a lil expensive but ultimately cheaper for the short run jobs, especially if they are multi colored.

Old August 11th, 2006 Aug 11, 2006 5:58:47 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkchild
Hello.

I'm setting up a business and I wonder how long it would take to set up one screen print for a tshirt? All my orders will be different, so I cannot reuse same design. Just wondering about the time involved in making ONE tshirt, as I fear it might be quiete a bit and should probably search other avenues. Please let me know
Depends on weither your talking about labor hours or clock hours.... layout artwork and make positive 10 or 15 min... for simple stuff
labor time for cleaning screen degreasing screen coating screen and setting up on press maybe 30 minutes.....
Now if you mean Clock hours thats another story
Clean screen let dry 2 hours...de-grease screen let dry 2 hours.... coat screen let dry 2 hours... burn screen ...washout.... let dry at least an hour....
As has been said in many posts screen printing does not lend itself to one off shirts very well...

Old August 13th, 2006 Aug 13, 2006 4:16:43 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,121 Times in 788 Posts

I'm sure you will get varied answers as to the time it takes. If you are only doing your designs and not printing other people's designs, and they are only one color, then it could be good to invest in screen printing.

If you have one color designs you can actually print them rather quickly, once you've invested the time up front. After making the screen, you can leave it taped, scrape off the ink and put it back in the bucket. You don't need to actually clean the screen off completely, the ink won't harden unless you leave it on for months and months and months.

If you wanted to print one shirt, it's as simple as grabbing your screen, putting in on your press, grabbing a little ink and a squeegee. It could take less than 5 minutes to do this. The most time you would be investing with each time you want to reprint a design is the time it takes to heat up a flash dryer or a conveyer dryer. Multiple colors is a different story, but if your work is more in the realm of single color jobs, screen printing could be a viable source for repeat one up orders.

Old October 26th, 2018 Oct 26, 2018 2:14:14 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

You can call me: Chauncey

Can anyone advise me about the pros and cons of buying a tee shirt printer versus having a third party print and ship the tee shirts I design? One of the cons of a third party for me is the 12 day shipping time. However, my money is limited to purchase a good tee shirt printer so a little advice as to how to proceed is greatly appreciated!

This is a discussion about How long does it take to do a screenprint? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in