T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Epson R1800 is it expensive to work with?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 6th, 2008 May 6, 2008 4:33:45 PM -   #1 (permalink)
RAM
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson R1800 is it expensive to work with?

Hi

I looks like my Lexmark printer won't be a good printer to use for printing transparencies. So I'm looking at the Epson R1800 cause I'm hearing so much about it. With the Epson R1800 I know that you can purchase FastInk cartridges & RIP software.
Here are my Questions:
1a. Is it highly recommended that I purchase the RIP software?
1b. If yes, why?
2. With the FastInk cartridges, how long do they last? (I'm trying to determine will I be spending money constantly buying FastInk cartridges).
In other words will printing transparencies on a Epson R1800 be an expensive job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2008 May 12, 2008 1:06:05 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: Epson R1800 is it expensive to work with?

The waterproof paper is expensive for the 1800. The 1400 uses dye ink and dye film is reasonable. You don't need an 1800 if you're not using the roll feature. The 1400 should be just fine and there are RIP's for it. I think Iproof's RIP supports the 1400. I use the 1800 for positives, heat transfers, signs and stickers. Get it if you're going to use it for a variety of things. The pigment ink works great on transfers and stickers.

Old May 20th, 2008 May 20, 2008 12:16:11 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

We have the 1800, with ScreenRIP Pro and waterproof transparancies. We also just use the stock epson inks, which works just fine. You NEED the Rip to lay enough ink down on your transparancies, as well as printing halftones. I actually just tried a couple of runs using standard inkjet transparancies, and they came out great. So, you really don't need to invest in the FastInk, and could start out using standard inkjet transparancies. We have both WP and standard on hand, saving the WP transparancies for bigger multicolor jobs requiring halftone work. Hope this helps!

Old May 20th, 2008 May 20, 2008 12:39:34 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: MANNY
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwalktee
The waterproof paper is expensive for the 1800. The 1400 uses dye ink and dye film is reasonable. You don't need an 1800 if you're not using the roll feature. The 1400 should be just fine and there are RIP's for it. I think Iproof's RIP supports the 1400. I use the 1800 for positives, heat transfers, signs and stickers. Get it if you're going to use it for a variety of things. The pigment ink works great on transfers and stickers.
What kind of stickers do you make, and how is the quality, i was under the asumtion that stickers from the printers do not last long, have you had this problem.

Old May 20th, 2008 May 20, 2008 5:23:13 PM -   #5 (permalink)
JMD
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Do yourself a favor and forget the Epson, yes it will cost you...and then when the head clog you'll really go crazy. Try the HP 9800, no special ink required. I am still using an old HP 1220 and the positives are very nice. If my 1220 ever craps out I would get the 9800. You couldn't pay me to use an Epson.... and all the FAST crap...someone is getting rich.....

Old May 21st, 2008 May 21, 2008 5:58:09 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2STRONG
What kind of stickers do you make, and how is the quality, i was under the asumtion that stickers from the printers do not last long, have you had this problem.
Many popular sticker papers work with pigment inks and are durable. Spray some Frog Juice brand clear over them for increased protection. Highressolutions.com and Kimoto have adhesive backed vinyl for inkjets.

The Following User Says Thank You to norwalktee For This Useful Post:
2STRONG (May 21st, 2008)
Old May 21st, 2008 May 21, 2008 6:55:44 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM
Hi

So I'm looking at the Epson R1800 cause I'm hearing so much about it...
In other words will printing transparencies on a Epson R1800 be an expensive job?

Thanks
Hi there - well, I just joined the forum and had to respond to your post. I purchased an R1800 almost 2 yrs ago now and loved it, but after about 12 months it started clogging up on me. Thankfully I purchased an extended warranty, I am right now waiting for a new printer to arrive because I couldn't get my R1800 to "unclog" - it stopped printing yellow first - and I spent hundreds of $$$ in ink trying to unclog it before I finally threw in the towel...and then remembered I bought an extended warranty. Anyway - I loved it when it worked, but it certainly was a lot of money for not a lot of time.

Good luck in your decision

Old May 21st, 2008 May 21, 2008 9:46:41 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Do yourself a favor and forget the Epson, yes it will cost you...and then when the head clog you'll really go crazy. Try the HP 9800, no special ink required. I am still using an old HP 1220 and the positives are very nice. If my 1220 ever craps out I would get the 9800. You couldn't pay me to use an Epson.... and all the FAST crap...someone is getting rich.....
are you saying that the hp printers dont need a rip program. how much does the 9800 run!

Old May 22nd, 2008 May 22, 2008 7:48:18 AM -   #9 (permalink)
JMD
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yes, an HP 9800 you can get directly from HP online for $300 + shipping and I believe their policy is if you don't like it you have 21 days to return it. Get some samples of waterproof film, go to screenprinters.com forum and do a search for HP 9800 and HP9800, you'll get alot of info there. When you start doing halftones you can download ghost script and ghost view for free, works great.

The Following User Says Thank You to JMD For This Useful Post:
2STRONG (May 22nd, 2008)
Old May 22nd, 2008 May 22, 2008 8:34:15 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Phillip

We just replaced our Epson 1520 with an HP 9800. Best decision we've made! Great solid black films. No more clogged print heads. Plus you can refill the cartridges with aftermarket ink to extend the life.

We use Graphics One WP film which is about $90 for a 13" x 100' roll. Just cut off what you need.

Old May 22nd, 2008 May 22, 2008 9:27:12 AM -   #11 (permalink)
LCE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
JMD,

Thanks for this infomation! I was shopping around for a wide format inkjet printer and I keep on hearing about the epson printers with the rip softwares. I definately agree with you...somebody is getting RICH!

I currently use a HP4MV laser printer and it works great. I need a backup printer and I will look into the 9800.

LCE

Old May 22nd, 2008 May 22, 2008 9:39:15 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Yes, an HP 9800 you can get directly from HP online for $300 + shipping and I believe their policy is if you don't like it you have 21 days to return it. Get some samples of waterproof film, go to screenprinters.com forum and do a search for HP 9800 and HP9800, you'll get alot of info there. When you start doing halftones you can download ghost script and ghost view for free, works great.
thanks for that info. but isnt ghost script a rip program? i thought you didnt need one. I am definatly going to look at the 9800 though.

Hey this thread went from an epson thread to an HP

Old May 23rd, 2008 May 23, 2008 4:31:18 AM -   #13 (permalink)
JMD
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Not to get a nice dark opaque positive. But for halftones you need to use ghostscript and ghostview, its a little tricky, but once you know how to use it its very very easy. There is actually a nice little video on this forum somewhere, on how to use the ghostscript, done by Diane from coloryourworld.

Old May 23rd, 2008 May 23, 2008 4:41:52 AM -   #14 (permalink)
JMD
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I think this is it, look halfway down for GSGV video

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t37583.html

Old May 23rd, 2008 May 23, 2008 7:02:45 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rusty

I have an R1800 that I use for film positives only, and I use FastRIP, FastInk, and waterproof FastFilms. It makes rock solid positives. Can you probably get acceptable positives with other setups? Probably. But I like the dependability and quality I get from my setup.

This is a discussion about Epson R1800 is it expensive to work with? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in