T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Liquid Emulsion exposed on Yudu is washing off

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2014 Oct 3, 2014 7:21:23 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Dismairy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Liquid Emulsion exposed on Yudu is washing off

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to see if I find any help.
Me and my husband started the screen printing business about two weeks ago, but we still don't have all the equipment.
We don't have an exposure unit other than the Yudu machine, and we expose the screens on the Yudu machine.

We already did 50 shirts and they came out great. I exposed those screens on the Yudu, one for 8 minutes but it washed off, and then the other ones for 10 minutes and they came out good. The 50 shirts were 3 colors.
Now the problem is im trying to make 10 shirts but after the image gets exposed and I go and spray the screen, the whole liquid emulsion washes off.
It's a liquid emulsion from Diazo.
I tried with 10 minutes exposure time, another screen with 11 minutes, and finally 13 minutes but nothing works.
I thought it was the new 26oz emulsion bottle that I started using for coating the screens for the 10 shirts and that maybe I poured a lot of water to the sensitizer. Then maybe I thought the emulsion coat was too thin,
But I don't know what's happening.
The screens dried overnight for about 5 hours with the drying cabinet with the fan on.
I coat my screens with a plastic squeegee that came with the Yudu, and I did the same with the screens for the 50 shirts, and now I don't understand why the emulsion is peeling off.
Any ideas of why this happened?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dfloriancruz; October 3rd, 2014 at 09:32 AM..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2014 Oct 7, 2014 3:21:20 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Denise
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default Re: Liquid Emulsion exposed on Yudu is washing off

First, hi and welcome to the forums :-)

Are you degreasing your screens?
Your screens can form a resist that will make it so that your emulsion won't necessarily be able to fully attach to your screen.
Personally, I find it an easy, fast step to do at when I reclaim my screens.
Makes life easier.

Old October 11th, 2014 Oct 11, 2014 6:54:54 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,481 Posts

I agree with the degreasing but sounds like you emulsion is bad. If you didn't mix the diazo properly, did you use bottled water or tap water. With tap water wheat her its from a well or city water this is a bad idea. The minerals from a well or the chlorine from a city supply will cause the emulsion to go bad fast. If you used bottled water then if you used more then you suppose to it will also make it go bad fast.

Did you store it in a cool dry light safe place. The hotter the emulsion the faster it will go bad. Putting it in a fridge and letting it warm up 1 hr before use helps it last but make sure it doesn't get shoved to back and freeze or its done.

Also if the emulsion you bought was sitting on a shelf a long time it will usually work for a few days after mixed but goes bad very fast. I quit using diazo emulsion years ago. Buying from a supplier that has volume will help but after mixed most manufactures say 30-90 days max but if it was old could be a few days. Coat a screen. Put a film on and a piece of glass over film. cover back side and walk outside on a sunny day. 30 seconds go back in. If it all washes out. Properly then your light source is the problem. If it all washes out the emulsion is bad.

Old October 17th, 2014 Oct 17, 2014 7:00:51 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hi, thank you for replying the emulsion was bad. I didn't add enough sensitizer to the 26oz bottle.
I added the smallest sensitizer that I had.
I bought new emulsion, mixed it properly and it work, I even reduced my exposure time and it's great!!
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using T-Shirt Forums

Old October 17th, 2014 Oct 17, 2014 7:01:43 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you Celtic!!!
I do degrease them, the problem was that I didn't mix the emulsion correctly with the sensitizer

Thank youu

Sent from my SM-G900V using T-Shirt Forums

This is a discussion about Liquid Emulsion exposed on Yudu is washing off that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in