T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Problem with screen sticking to shirt

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 12th, 2006 Jul 12, 2006 9:17:34 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Problem with screen sticking to shirt

Hey everyone, I'm doing test prints and having a problem with the screen sticking to the shirt after I do a pass of ink. It comes up after, but slowly causing pock marks on the layer of ink.

I'm using a 110 mesh and maxopake ink from union ink. My guess is that since the ink is so think and it is a low mesh count that too much of the ink is going through the screen causing the shirt to stick. Would that be a good guess, anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2006 Jul 12, 2006 9:35:51 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Andrew

Default Re: Problem with screen sticking to shirt

Maybe try a higher off contact.
Whenever my ink is "Pock marked" i raise it up a bit.
Worth a try.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 5:16:23 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

I agree. Sounds like your off contact is too low or the mesh is too loose.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 8:46:29 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Thanks for the input. I've experimented with the off-contact already, and that doesn't seem to help much so I'll try reburning it on a higher mesh count.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 10:35:29 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by identityburn
Thanks for the input. I've experimented with the off-contact already, and that doesn't seem to help much so I'll try reburning it on a higher mesh count.
Hate to mention the obvious but if the shirt isnt held firmly by the pallet adhesive it will lift slightly, sticking to the screen....
what appears from the top looking down like the screen sticking is really the shirt slowly letting go from the bottom...
Combine that with not enought off contact and its a recipe fro frustration...
....Chuck

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 12:47:17 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Yeah I had quite a bit of adhesive on it. The weird thing is, it's only that design thats giving me trouble. Right after I printed another design on a 135 and didn't have the problem at all. It must be a combination of the ink (it is very thick) and the screen.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 1:15:15 PM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

Sounds like you got it nailed. Dont go too hign on your mesh. For a solid white print on a dark shirt manually printing I would not go higher than a 156.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 1:49:15 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah I had quite a bit of adhesive on it. The weird thing is, it's only that design thats giving me trouble. Right after I printed another design on a 135 and didn't have the problem at all. It must be a combination of the ink (it is very thick) and the screen.
One other thing.... when you run into it sticking and you.ve eliminated off contact and adhesive problems...try a clean up stroke.... turn the squeege up much farther then what you print at and do one or two strokes without any ink.... I have to do this almost always with white ink.... it will appear to stick then a clean-up stroke and its free.... Good Luck with it...
....Chuck

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 2:59:50 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Chuck, so you're saying to basically run the squeege without any ink on it over the stencil?

thanks everyone again for the tips.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 3:56:57 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Chuck, so you're saying to basically run the squeege without any ink on it over the stencil?

thanks everyone again for the tips.
Yes exactly ...after you've inked it then do one or two clean-up strokes at a higher angle without adding ink....

Last edited by Squirts; July 13th, 2006 at 06:56 PM..

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 7:54:52 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

ok I'll try it out.

Old July 13th, 2006 Jul 13, 2006 11:01:10 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Just a quick one.
Is your shirt board hot?
If so it could be the ink is partially curing on the print stroke.
If not a bit of plastisol thinners will alow the ink to flow better and should eliminate the sticking.
Phil

Old July 14th, 2006 Jul 14, 2006 8:48:15 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Phil:

It was the first design we put up on the press so the board wasn't hot yet. I'm thinking thinning down the ink will be a good idea as well. I don't know if you guys ever used maxopake ink before from union ink, but it is very thick. The stencil itself is basically a big whole so it lets a lot of ink through so a combination of all these things is probably causing it.

Old July 14th, 2006 Jul 14, 2006 10:30:43 AM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

I still use MaxoPake inks from Union. They are thick but they are good inks. Once the ink is moved around a bit, it loosens. If you thin the ink, you will have a problem with the opacity.

If you stir the ink up really good, it will loosen it up.

I'll reiterate what some have already stated:

Use a spray adhesive. Obviously not too much, but use enough so when you are printing, the shirt doesn't pull up.

If you are using MaxoPake inks, my guess is you are printing then flashing the ink, then printing again. This will cause the platen to heat up and every time you pull your screen down, you are helping ink to stick in the screen. To remedy this, if you are a medium speed printer, I would place a shirt on the platen, rotate it under the heat (getting rid of any shrinkage), place a shirt on the next platen and so on until the first shirt is back to you. Print that one and rotate it under the heat. Flashing the print is all you need. You do not want to cure the ink at this point. I believe the flashing point is a little over 200 depending on your ink. If you cure the ink before you print again on top of it, you could get some flaking. Anyway, by the time you rotate the first print back to you, it will be cool enough to print on. Remove that shirt and place a new one on and rotate it under the heat while you print, remove and place a new shirt on that one. By the time you are finished, the original shirt will get back to you already preshrunk.

Another factor could be your squeegee. If it's way too soft, it will push more ink through or if you are using too much of an angle. I would use a medium to firm durometer squeegee and use about a 70 degree angle. Obviously you don't want it straight up and down, but too far down will push too much ink through your screen.

Hopefully this helps.

Old July 14th, 2006 Jul 14, 2006 11:14:18 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Thanks Jerid, I didn't know you could stir the ink to loosen it, I'll try that. And yes, I was printing, then flashing, then printing again. I think after a few prints the hot board could be a problem like you were saying, I'll have to try that also.

One question. How does Maxopake ink work on lights? Is it too heavy of a deposit? I just assume that you would only have to hit it once though right?

This is a discussion about Problem with screen sticking to shirt that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in