T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Screening Cycle jerseys; is this possible?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 14th, 2008 Mar 14, 2008 10:18:36 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Screening Cycle jerseys; is this possible?

I have a customer who wants me to print a few hundred Mt. Bike jerseys for his bike shop. I am concerned about the curing of the Plastisol on these shirts. I am not 100% sure, but I think they are either Lycra, Spandex, or Nylon. I was wondering if I will be able to cure the ink on these without a risk of melting the shirt. Has anyone done these before?

This is the Jersey that I am looking at printing on:
Bike Nashbar.com - Nashbar Endurance SS Jersey

Last edited by smackintush; March 14th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: needed to add a link

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2008 Mar 14, 2008 11:46:37 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Lisa

Default Re: Screening Cycle jerseys; is this possible?

Is the imprint just single color or two color? You could have vinyl cut for them

Old March 14th, 2008 Mar 14, 2008 11:57:08 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Steve

Right now I am just in the starting discussion phase with the customer, but I am trying to go toward a single color. However, the customer in the past has had up to 6 colors on his tees. I just can't see printing 6 colors on a garment that has such a high stretch count, and having the fabric be so thin, I'd also be worried about scorching it or burning and melting it while flashing.

Old March 15th, 2008 Mar 15, 2008 12:34:40 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Pity the yellow was not white, as I have just printed a few with sublimation. The colours are amazing and never wash out. Although the stress is always there in placing the shirt. Takes a long time. But the customer pays premium for made up shirts.

Gemais

Old March 15th, 2008 Mar 15, 2008 12:53:27 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Most of the cycling jerseys are done by sublimation as a cut-sew application. This means the sublimation ink is transfered to a roll or piece of fabric and then cut down to the panels to be sewn together. The sublimation allows the shirt to breath better than any other type of decorating technique and this is what the cyclists want. There might be a special screen printing ink that might adhere to the polyester fabric, but I am not sure how well it will breath.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Old March 15th, 2008 Mar 15, 2008 1:04:48 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Thanked 2,509 Times in 2,227 Posts

I would strongly consider sublimation transfers.

Old March 17th, 2008 Mar 17, 2008 11:23:29 AM -   #7 (permalink)
LCE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
Most of the cycling jerseys are done by sublimation as a cut-sew application. This means the sublimation ink is transfered to a roll or piece of fabric and then cut down to the panels to be sewn together. The sublimation allows the shirt to breath better than any other type of decorating technique and this is what the cyclists want. There might be a special screen printing ink that might adhere to the polyester fabric, but I am not sure how well it will breath.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Thanks for that info Mark!

Old March 18th, 2008 Mar 18, 2008 6:34:47 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Not a problem. Cut-Sew operations are huge in southern CA. If you ask around, I am sure you can find a large format dye sub printer that does cut-sew.

This is a discussion about Screening Cycle jerseys; is this possible? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in