My first question...reproduce graphics like Monarchy and Salvage? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

My first question...reproduce graphics like Monarchy and Salvage?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 3rd, 2007 Jul 3, 2007 7:06:49 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default My first question...reproduce graphics like Monarchy and Salvage?

Good morning.

So this is my first question. How can I produce graphics on shirts like Monarchy, Salvage, Drifter, Obey (artist series) etc.

Not talking about the graphics themselves, but the way they appar on shirts, very faded, soft, multi-layered, etc. etc. For those that are familiar with those brands then I probably don't need much more explanation.

Coming from the graphic design world I am familiar with all the programs, can create the separations etc. etc...but when I comes down to actually reproducing what I have on-screen to fabric...i'm clueless.

Any advice, links to other posts, etc. etc. would be much appreciated.

http://www.emoda.com/prodimages/monbluros3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2007 Jul 4, 2007 2:23:17 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: My first question...reproduce graphics like Monarchy and Salvage?

theres a dude on here who prints for Morphine Generation or that has worked with them... thats pretty cool and definitely similar to the brands you mentionned. im sure you will get a lot of quality replies soon.

im a nub, but i can tell you that these brands enzyme wash and soften the hell out of their garments prior to printing and use a lot of waterbased inks and foil to do funky artsy stuff.

Old July 5th, 2007 Jul 5, 2007 5:28:28 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Wizard

My guess is discharge printing.

Old July 5th, 2007 Jul 5, 2007 5:48:19 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Phillip

It's probably just waterbased inks.

Discharge printing is only for dark fabrics where it is necessary to remove the color of the fabric before printing the color.

Old July 5th, 2007 Jul 5, 2007 6:35:13 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

possible it is plasticols reduced with a cureable reducer. As always everyone never mentions it. I get a waterbased hand to a plasticol print on lights and towels all the time.

Old July 5th, 2007 Jul 5, 2007 7:18:10 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Phillip

Fluid is right. Actually, I've been playing with the Chino based plastisol inks lately and I think the hand is actually softer than WB! I'm pretty impressed with it. I think Chino and discharge might make a great combo.

Richard, how much do you reduce your plastisols down with curable reducer? I've heard so many people say to never use it, or just add 5-10%. Seems like to get a really soft feel, you need to reduce much more than that. Will it still cure ok? After all, Chino base just seems like a plastisol that has a TON of reducer.

Old July 5th, 2007 Jul 5, 2007 7:21:51 AM -   #7 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

we have gone as far as 60-70% depending on the application and color. The color will lighten considerably when reduced this much. This is how we print towels.

Reduces by about 30% and a high mesh frame should get a great result on shirts.

Dark shirt printing we only reduce by 10% at the most in order to retain the opacity. mainly just for better blending and less buildup on sequential screens when printing multi colored designs

Make sure it is a cureable reducer though and not soft hand

This is a discussion about My first question...reproduce graphics like Monarchy and Salvage? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in