T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

pressure washer pressure

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old August 9th, 2012 Aug 9, 2012 11:53:17 AM -   #31 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pressure washer pressure

to rec;aim a screen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2012 Aug 10, 2012 9:13:52 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

What I think, is that if you are not experienced and expose your screens correctly (almost exact), just stick to a good handheld spray nozzle. Pressure washers ARE strong and WILL destroy your screen when washing them out if not exposed correctly. (They will disappoint you!) I'm still dialing in my exposure times, to the seconds, so my pressure washer is only used for reclaiming. Now, this I'm glad I do have a pressure washer!

Old August 11th, 2012 Aug 11, 2012 6:45:08 AM -   #33 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brad

The benefit of using a pressure washer to wash out a stencil is the lower volume of water it uses compared to a garden hose. Water is the enemy of emulsion, the faster you can wash out the stencil and the less water you use the better. Garden hose volume can cause the edges of the stencil to absorb water and become soft which will cause non-Sharp edged prints and pinholes/blowouts. Using a pressure washer is the perfered method, watch the Ryonet 101 video and Ryan explains it. Of course proper expo time is critical.

Sent from my PC36100 using T-Shirt Forums

Old August 12th, 2012 Aug 12, 2012 12:11:31 PM -   #34 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tyson
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnC Custom Ink
The benefit of using a pressure washer to wash out a stencil is the lower volume of water it uses compared to a garden hose. Water is the enemy of emulsion, the faster you can wash out the stencil and the less water you use the better. Garden hose volume can cause the edges of the stencil to absorb water and become soft which will cause non-Sharp edged prints and pinholes/blowouts. Using a pressure washer is the perfered method, watch the Ryonet 101 video and Ryan explains it. Of course proper expo time is critical.

Lots of people print water based inks...

Joshing aside, I pressure wash from a distance to develop just so if there are weak spots they show themselves while they're easy to fix--before they're on press.

If you are anywhere close to properly exposing a quality stencil, you should NOT have a problem with a pressure washer destroying it, unless you are using a stream spray, or spraying with the nozzle very close to the stencil.

Old September 15th, 2012 Sep 15, 2012 8:33:38 AM -   #35 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Hmmm, so any recommendation on a model or brand for one of the small pressure washers?

I have looked around at the reviews on Amazon, and it seems all the small units are "poop"... as others here have mentioned. Just wondering if some seem to be a bit better than others.

I'm small time, still more of a hobby than a business, so this thing won't see much use. Still, I have read so many reviews where the thing leaked the first time they hooked it up or only lasted 20 minutes before breaking. Since I will be using this indoors (unlike most people who buy these things to clean driveways and such), I really couldn't deal with one that leaked.

Plastic Chinese cheap and disposable junk

Old September 15th, 2012 Sep 15, 2012 9:04:26 AM -   #36 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,479 Posts

The ones that leak are ones that have quick type conections. Lowes and Menards both use to carry the ones with the screw type connectors. You will find that if it broke in 20 min the pump was not properly primed. The pumps are very temperamental on the electric pressure washers. I have went though 3 in 5 years both were my fault that went out. I bought last one from Home Depot and has a quick connector and leaks slightly at handle but doesn't bother me.

Old September 16th, 2012 Sep 16, 2012 6:33:58 AM -   #37 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brad

I got a Dirt Devil brand from Menards for under $100. Has screw on hoses and it sits on the floor in the basement next to the washsink. It has not leaked a drop in 7months. Beware of online reviews, people are dumb, and most people do not properly use/store things. Find one you like and take proper care of it and you should be fine. Be careful with high end ones cause they often are way to strong for screens.

The best tip I can give is to hook up the water, TURN WATER ON, with the washer power OFF depress the trigger untill a solid stream of water comes out, then power up washer and enjoy. Improper priming is the #1 reason for failure.

Old April 28th, 2014 Apr 28, 2014 10:02:52 AM -   #38 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Paul, you from Winnipeg?

Old March 10th, 2015 Mar 10, 2015 8:23:10 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Gnarly

ok, sorry to wake this subject up again.

I've exposed screens for 2 to 3 minutes before and had no problems with clearing out the screen to get stencils completed. Then I exposed a screen for 4 minutes and had problems with clearing out my image from a 110 and 156 mesh screen.

I'm about to pick up a generic pressure washer from Lowe's Hardware (somewhere around $99) and goes about 1200 psi.

I don't think I have to spend over $100 for a Karcher K2.360. I'm getting this one,
All-Power America 1600-PSI 1.6-GPM Electric Pressure Washer.

Anyone have any comments / complaints about this one?

Thanks,
Gnarly

Edit:
I just saw this one from WalMart, Karcher K2.360 Pressure Washer.

Any comments on this particular Karcher?

Old March 10th, 2015 Mar 10, 2015 8:58:31 PM -   #40 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly
ok, sorry to wake this subject up again.

I've exposed screens for 2 to 3 minutes before and had no problems with clearing out the screen to get stencils completed. Then I exposed a screen for 4 minutes and had problems with clearing out my image from a 110 and 156 mesh screen.

I'm about to pick up a generic pressure washer from Lowe's Hardware (somewhere around $99) and goes about 1200 psi.

I don't think I have to spend over $100 for a Karcher K2.360. I'm getting this one,
All-Power America 1600-PSI 1.6-GPM Electric Pressure Washer.

Anyone have any comments / complaints about this one?

Thanks,
Gnarly

Edit:
I just saw this one from WalMart, Karcher K2.360 Pressure Washer.

Any comments on this particular Karcher?

So it sounds like you want a PW to rinse the unexposed emulsion out after exposing the screen? Really, you shouldn't need a PW for that--though I guess I have seen some people say they do it that way.

I'm thinking that at 4 minutes, you are overexposed. Have you used a test strip to dial in the exposure time?

You should be able to rinse down both sides of the screen and let it sit a minute or so (this "develops" the emulsion so the unexposed part washes out easier), then wash it out with just a regular spray nozzle like you would use to wash a car.

You might also be running into problems from putting on too heavy a layer of emulsion. You then end up overexposing the shirt side in order to penetrate to the ink side and keep it from being runny. I had that problem with some of my first screens; either runny on the ink side or all overexposed. My problem was too much emulsion, not too little water pressure.

You might also consider trying a different emulsion. I switched from a diazo-based emulsion to Saati PHU. The PHU exposes more quickly and washes out easily.

I think the consensus is still that all the little PWs are poop, and you just buy another one when it fails; they are at least cheap
I have one for reclaiming screens. Don't even know what it is, just cheap and hasn't failed yet.

Old March 10th, 2015 Mar 10, 2015 9:54:01 PM -   #41 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Gnarly

You can tell by now I'm still a newb.
In any case, I want to get better at this and get better without spending money that I don't have to. So I'm here.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having one because it'll also save me $10 everytime I have to reclaim the screens and save me a trip to the car wash.

But I will prep another screen for 2 minutes and see. Coz I have exposed screens for 2 minutes before and had no problems. I'll also apply emulsion once on each side of the screen. I don't remember how many times I applied emulsion the last time I didn't have a problem.
I do know that I've been having problme ssince I've been applying twice on each side of the screen.

I looked at SaatiChem's site. They don't have the PHU anymore. They only have the HU now.

I'll try a quart once I run out of what I have.

Old March 10th, 2015 Mar 10, 2015 11:13:01 PM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly
You can tell by now I'm still a newb.
In any case, I want to get better at this and get better without spending money that I don't have to. So I'm here.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having one because it'll also save me $10 everytime I have to reclaim the screens and save me a trip to the car wash.

But I will prep another screen for 2 minutes and see. Coz I have exposed screens for 2 minutes before and had no problems. I'll also apply emulsion once on each side of the screen. I don't remember how many times I applied emulsion the last time I didn't have a problem.
I do know that I've been having problme ssince I've been applying twice on each side of the screen.

I looked at SaatiChem's site. They don't have the PHU anymore. They only have the HU now.

I'll try a quart once I run out of what I have.
The Saati site leaves much to be desired. I don't know why, but they don't list PHU as PHU on their site. I think it may be the thing they call PHW on the site, but I'm not sure.

In any case, any supplier that carries Saati will have the PHU. I bought mine in a local brick 'n mortar store, but any online Saati retailer will have it too.

One thing to remember with emulsion is that you can use the scoop coater to remove excess emulsion; just tilt the screen and coater sort of opposite how you would to apply, and then scrape away any excess or runs.

There seems to be a lot written about building up a thick "gasket" of emulsion, but as a beginner, you'll be lucky to get it on thin enough to expose well. I've since seen other opinions about emulsion thickness ... and am in the camp of less is more. Perhaps with plastisol a thick "gasket" is desireable, but it seems that it doesn't help water base inks, and many advise 1/1 or 2/1 at most.

FYI I learned about removing excess emulsion with the coater when I slipped and dumped most of the coater contents onto the screen
The scoop scooped that stuff right up!
Gnarly likes this.

Old March 10th, 2015 Mar 10, 2015 11:16:16 PM -   #43 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,479 Posts

Saati has PHU. Many suppliers have it and it's all I use.

Ok for the pressure washer, I can tell you 2 things. A properly exposed screen can handle a pressure washer at 10"-12" without issue, a properly exposed screen really shouldn't need a power washer. Everyone is different on the coating. I do a 2/1 on everything except my screens for transfers, I on a 2/1 maybe the same as you one a 2/2 or a 1/1. Side you say your a newbie I'll give you some advice I was given years ago. Coat your screens so that you obtain a thickness you like and print well. Then stick with it or at least know your exposure times for each. The thicker the stencil the longer the exposure you'll need, but also the longer developing time you'll need. When you start to washout wet the screen well. Then let sit 30-90 seconds. Make sure you keep the screen wet. When washing out I use a good amount of pressure. I start on the ink side and spray well. The flip and spray again. Let sit and apply more water if needed after 30 sec to both sides then I use a setting called center which is a bunch of small streams with good force.
Gnarly likes this.

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 12:12:41 AM -   #44 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

A wood floor puts up with lots of wear and tear every day, which is why the best hardwood floor cleaners are important. These products will banish sticky pills, ground-in grime, and tracked-in dirt to leave your floor looking new.

There are dozens of good cleaners that have been tested and shown to be effective.

Check Out Now

[url]http://www.pressurecoach.com/best-hardwood-floor-cleaner[/url]

Old 6 Days Ago Oct 9, 2019 12:14:14 AM -   #45 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

[QUOTE=pressurecoach;4447783]A wood floor puts up with lots of wear and tear every day, which is why the best hardwood floor cleaners are important. These products will banish sticky pills, ground-in grime, and tracked-in dirt to leave your floor looking new.

There are dozens of good cleaners that have been tested and shown to be effective.

Check Out Now

[url=http://www.pressurecoach.com/best-hardwood-floor-cleaner]Best Hardwood Floor Cleaner Solutions - Reviews & Comparison[/url]

This is a discussion about pressure washer pressure that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in