T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

3 flash cures?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2006 Mar 2, 2006 3:54:13 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 3 flash cures?

I'm printing bright orange ink onto dark navy shirts (one color job). I make 3 passes, then cure. The dark color of the shirt shows through a lot...no problem. I make three more passes, then cure again. But still, I can see the dark shirt through the ink. I did it all again, and finally the ink is on there ok, but at this point it's real thick and a little "chunky". Also, at that point my platen is so hot that I have to wait to cool it down. Wondering what I'm doing wrong? Here's what I'm using....

triangle ink
Gildan, 100% cotton shirts
manual rotary press
1800 watt flash dryer

Thank you in advance!
-Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2006 Mar 2, 2006 8:34:08 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: 3 flash cures?

ok, I'm stupid! Just got off the phone with the manufacturer of the press.

I've heard of a flash screen before, but I thought that meant I needed to lay down a base and then print again on top....same color. I didn't realize I needed to use white ink the first time. I'll try that tonight.

sorry for the trouble, but hopefully someone learned from my mistake!
-Rich

Old March 2nd, 2006 Mar 2, 2006 2:12:02 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Oh he's talking about underbasing the design with white I imagine. I really hate that method though, only because unless you choke the artwork you may see some white creeping around the edges of the final design. That is unless you have perfect registration.

Old March 3rd, 2006 Mar 3, 2006 10:50:39 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Hi there

You could use a flash white screen to underbase your orange, use a low mesh count for the white, flash cure and then over print the white with your orange using a higher mesh count to reduce the handle of the print.
Or add around 2-4% by wieght of suede or puff additive. and print your orange flash it then print it again yopu should get just enough raise from the additive to give you a bright print with a soft feel.
I am not aware of triangle inks here in the u.k. but I know Rutland and Union inks both do suede and puff additives.
Phil

Old March 12th, 2006 Mar 12, 2006 3:09:16 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Member

thanks for the replies.

So if I choke the image on the white screen, how do I do that? Make the font smaller in Photoshop, or shrink the % in print options? If so, how much?

Thank you very much!

-Rich

Old March 12th, 2006 Mar 12, 2006 7:54:10 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashmouthShirts
thanks for the replies.

So if I choke the image on the white screen, how do I do that? Make the font smaller in Photoshop, or shrink the % in print options? If so, how much?

Thank you very much!

-Rich
Just put an outline around the white separation to make it slightly smaller than the orange separation (make sure to not check "behind fill" if using corel draw, if you are using adobe illustrator don't worry about this option). Usually 1 or 2 point lines work good, but you may have to experiment depending on the size of the design.

Old March 17th, 2006 Mar 17, 2006 8:33:54 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Okay I just read these posts. Does this mean that you have to have 2 screens of the same design since you are using 2 different colors (white and orange). Or can you use both inks in the same screen (can't imagine that being possible).

Old March 17th, 2006 Mar 17, 2006 11:41:46 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

2 screens 1 for each colour

Old March 17th, 2006 Mar 17, 2006 4:32:19 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Using one screen you'd need to wash your screen between each colour layer on each shirt (obviously not an option), or you'd have to do a print run of underbase and then re-register your shirts perfectly to print the top layer with the same screen... and that perfect re-registration is just not going to happen.

fizz's advice to use different mesh counts on each screen is interesting and seems like a good idea.

Old March 17th, 2006 Mar 17, 2006 10:40:05 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

fizz's advice to use different mesh counts on each screen is interesting and seems like a good idea.[/QUOTE]

It's the only way to go.
I have worked in comercial production for 19 years and its how all shirts are produced

This is a discussion about 3 flash cures? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in