T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Black on Black Question

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 7:48:18 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Black on Black Question

I know this sounds completely odd, but will black ink show up on a black shirt?

The reason why I ask is because one of my initial promotions will be to give such a shirt to a member of the community that I'm catering to. Basically he loves black on black cars (one in particular) and he'll give me more good press (worldwide) than anything else if I can pull it off. He also works for a well-known publication that I may want to advertise with down the line.

So does anyone have any experience with this? I won't be doing a lot of black shirts so I may purchase some @ retail and do this as a one-off project-- doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 7:51:12 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Jon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Black on Black Question

Black ink would show up on a black shirt, although you would have to get really close to the shirt to see it. The reality is, that black shirts are actually really really dark gray.

My suggestion would be to print the black on the shirt, and put a very thin dark gray line around the design.

Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 8:00:37 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Bill

I'm sure it would work since the chance that the black shirt, and the black ink being exactly the same color are slim. It would be very hard to see though. Maybe if your design were shiny, perhaps a vinyl transfer? How complex is your design?

Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 8:00:52 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Camie

Smile Re: Black on Black Question

Excellent suggestion. I'd do the same to make sure the outcome was sharp.

Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 9:32:08 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lewis

As people have said it will be visible, but maybe not visible enough.

Would using a really dark grey work for you? Using a grey you may well be able to find a balance between still "feeling" black on black, but having some visibility (I've seen it achieved in goth shirts).

Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 10:05:35 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the replies--

Unfortunately Solmu, it won't work if it's a really dark grey shirt. The idea is black/black and there is no room for fudging.. I've thought about it (using a pigment/tie-dye type shirt) but nothing really clicks.

Ideally, the design is just basic text so I'd like it to be subtle.. "visbile but not visible enough" is actually what I'm shooting for here. Maybe I should've been more specific-- what black ink would you recommend to produce a "slight" gloss effect on a black shirt?

It's extreme, and not the quality that most screeners would shoot for, but it's going to give me a massive amount of exposure in the coming year- I just want the words to show up in a certain light (even under a sport coat) and be done with it; clarity is a non-issue as you can't be near this individual without seeing exactly what he's wearing.

Old November 30th, 2005 Nov 30, 2005 10:28:10 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Solmu's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I meant a really dark grey ink, not shirt. Dark grey ink on a black shirt looks like a lighter black (which it is really), but shows up somewhat.

Old December 1st, 2005 Dec 1, 2005 6:35:38 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Chirs, my advice to you would be to use a service (like CP) that would allow you to make one shirt for yourself only. I did a black-on-black print design for a magazine a few months back and it turned out really well. But it took a lot of trial and error with the printer. Luckily we are really good clients and he was willing to experiment with us.

But ... its been my experience that black ink (whether on paper or fabric) does not equal the exact same tone as what it is printed on. Even if bpth are "technically" 100% black.

Oh ... and to avoid confusion ... the magazine ad was on white paper but we ended up using a matte process for the background and a glossy overlay for the image. You should get the same effect if you use a glossy heat transfer method like some suggested above.

Hope that helps.

Old December 1st, 2005 Dec 1, 2005 9:20:08 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Aficionado

I have a NIN shirt I bought over 10 years ago that is black ink on a black shirt. The design is raised a little so that it stands out a little better.

Old December 1st, 2005 Dec 1, 2005 9:45:52 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Years ago I had a shirt with the black, but I think it was more like a felt transfer. It had more raised and no shine... I don't usually care much for shine. Oscar

Old December 12th, 2006 Dec 12, 2006 4:39:02 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: D.J.

My two cents worth here. You could try either a slim off white or grey border around the image to make the black stand out a little. You see that effedt on the freeways some times. They put down a black strip of line, then white just inside it.

The other thing I can think of if vinyl. There is quite a variety of stuff out there to choose from. you'd need to find some one with a vinly cutter to do it for you, but that shouldn't pose much of a problem here.

Old December 12th, 2006 Dec 12, 2006 4:44:42 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Fluid's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Richard
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

print a high density black. Thsi will raise the ink off the shirt making it more visible. Play with the dwell time of the shirt in the dryer. I believe the longer the ink is in the heat the more shiny it will look. I honeslty cant remember to be sure its either
longer heat dwell time = glossy print
or
longer heat dwell time = matt print
Just do a couple of tests.

Also if you use a lower mesh frame and dump more ink it will shine a little more than normal and should help to get the look your after

Old December 12th, 2006 Dec 12, 2006 5:10:05 AM -   #13 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

I think black vinyl is perfect for this. The texture is different from the fabric so it absorbs and reflects light completely opposite of the shirt. As the shirt fades the lettering becomes more visable...a reveal in time.

Old December 12th, 2006 Dec 12, 2006 5:24:48 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: camron

I did something like this just to learn how to print screen with plasti's and it came out realy cool just my 2 cents.

O I read a lil bit of the post befor I posted but ill say it anyways.When I did it the ink reflects light and the shirt didnt so like I said it came out pretty cool.

Old December 12th, 2006 Dec 12, 2006 5:30:25 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

This thread is over a year old. I'm curious now - did you end up doing this Chris? What method did you decide on?

This is a discussion about Black on Black Question that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in