2 color design White and Black, White coming out too thick is this a mesh issue? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

2 color design White and Black, White coming out too thick is this a mesh issue?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 2:28:12 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: John
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 2 color design White and Black, White coming out too thick is this a mesh issue?

Hello Mighty T-shirt Forums folks,

We are def. new to the screen printing process. Was able to pull off a 4 color process on our logo with minimal issues and it looks very nice. However on or first in house screen print design in which we broke down into 2 colors; Black and White. It is a fairly detailed design and although the design looks awesome, it just seems that the white is very thick and the hand on it is not what I desired.....

Let me see if I can explain better, the white screen has alot of area to cover so we are finding we must pull the squeegee at least 2 times (for White) to cover the desired area (going on a red shirt by the way).....And the more we fuss with it; it seems the thicker it seems to come out. The outcome is fine for our first try but I want to know how to remedy this in the future? Using 110 mesh screens BTW, do we need a hire mesh screen perhaps??

Any feedback would be great, thanks in advance!

-John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 2:55:50 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Gerry
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: 2 color design White and Black, White coming out too thick is this a mesh issue?

attach a paint mixer to an electric drill,stir the crap out of it until it is soft and creamy...gets rid of the false hand. if you technique is right you could pull it off in one pass, it takes me a few prints to get back into printing white before i start a run .. white is hard to print.
I push my squeegee rather than pull with the angle a little less than 45 deg.
Definitely give it a good stir before you do anything tho'
Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to gerry For This Useful Post:
Swagger11 (March 25th, 2010)
Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 3:19:03 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Default Re: 2 color design White and Black, White coming out too thick is this a mesh issue?

Thanks Gerry I will try these steps tonight and post the results.

Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 3:26:09 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Rat

I agree with the stirring. I also run white through an 83 alot.

The Following User Says Thank You to ratdaddy For This Useful Post:
Swagger11 (March 25th, 2010)
Old March 25th, 2010 Mar 25, 2010 3:55:53 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Greaves
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

You have chosen one of the most difficult things to do - Printing large areas of white ink on a red shirt.

110 is a very coarse mesh for fine detail.

It's a principle of screen printing that higher mesh counts are thinner and deposit less ink as shown with the design you are describing. Imaging playing golf with the wrong ir only one club.

Tighter mesh, stiffer blades and lower off-contact will allow you to print smoother opaque images on the surface of the shirt, instead of driving the ink into the shirt fibers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardGreaves For This Useful Post:
gerry (March 25th, 2010), Greatzky (March 25th, 2010), Swagger11 (March 25th, 2010)
Old March 26th, 2010 Mar 26, 2010 9:17:42 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: PixelPimp
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

make sure you are not using a white ink formulated to be used as an underbase as those tend to be thicker. i've seen several shops using a white ink formulated for underbase as there all purpose white and didn't know why the ink felt thicker then the other colors on the shirt.

The Following User Says Thank You to red514 For This Useful Post:
Swagger11 (March 26th, 2010)
Old March 26th, 2010 Mar 26, 2010 9:28:55 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks Red, I will definately verify this!

This is a discussion about 2 color design White and Black, White coming out too thick is this a mesh issue? that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in