T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

Emulsion Without Sensitizer

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 21st, 2010 Feb 21, 2010 12:17:13 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Emulsion Without Sensitizer

I am currently using Socol 21A Emulsion.

It comes with sensitizer. The problem I am facing now is that after I expose the screen to the 120W light for 26 minutes, when i wash off, the emulsion is being rinsed off as well.

So, I am thinking if i exclude the part where I need to mix sensitizer with emulsion, Is there going to be any effect?

I wash my emulsion with water and i get the design, when i almost get the whole design, the whole emulsion on the screen is being rinsed off. What is the problem here? I still don't get it

Please help me..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2010 Feb 21, 2010 3:42:13 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jerid
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,122 Times in 788 Posts

Default Re: Emulsion Without Sensitizer

If the emulsion came with a sensitizer, then you need it. Typically you mix the entire batch, not as you go. You can store the emulsion in a cool place, even a refrigerator, to make it last longer.

My guess is your light source is way too low. I would search on these forums for a homemade light source. With the right setup, exposing can be under 1 to 2 minutes, depending on your emulsion and exposure setup.

Old February 21st, 2010 Feb 21, 2010 5:03:11 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeridHill
If the emulsion came with a sensitizer, then you need it. Typically you mix the entire batch, not as you go. You can store the emulsion in a cool place, even a refrigerator, to make it last longer.

My guess is your light source is way too low. I would search on these forums for a homemade light source. With the right setup, exposing can be under 1 to 2 minutes, depending on your emulsion and exposure setup.

I already tried with 45 minutes instead. and it's working great now. it was under exposure i think..

how long can i keep the emulsion once i mix the whole bottle with the sensitizer?

Old February 21st, 2010 Feb 21, 2010 5:19:35 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Harry
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Thanked 1,075 Times in 922 Posts

Every emulsion, depending on its formulation, has a different shelf life once it is mixed with the sensitizer. You should have received instructions with your emulsion which should spell out the shelf life for that specific brand.

Harry
Equipment Zone

Old March 18th, 2011 Mar 18, 2011 3:16:43 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The sensitizer cross links with itself within the emulsion. That is my understanding. I have burned many screens with a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb about a foot from the screen. I would turn on the light before I went to bed and when I woke up the screen was ready for the image to be washed out. Any bulb emits UV light some just emit more. Every bulb emits all the different frequencies some just emit more UV radiation than others. That is my understanding.

Old March 18th, 2011 Mar 18, 2011 4:40:43 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: pierre
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirtmaniac
I am currently using Socol 21A Emulsion.

It comes with sensitizer. The problem I am facing now is that after I expose the screen to the 120W light for 26 minutes, when i wash off, the emulsion is being rinsed off as well.

So, I am thinking if i exclude the part where I need to mix sensitizer with emulsion, Is there going to be any effect?

I wash my emulsion with water and i get the design, when i almost get the whole design, the whole emulsion on the screen is being rinsed off. What is the problem here? I still don't get it

Please help me..
you could also look into SBQ/photopolymer emulsions. They do not require adding the snesitizer, last longer on the shelf (average about a year) and expose about 3-4 times faster. They are less tolerant of wrong exposure times, so you will have to do some testing. . .
pierre

This is a discussion about Emulsion Without Sensitizer that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in