T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing

Screen Printing Category Sponsor

Discuss the various aspects of screen printing. Inks, speciality printing, print locations, durability, etc.

cymk & quik seps

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 15th, 2010 Feb 15, 2010 1:21:04 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Hero
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default cymk & quik seps

hey all, i just purchased my quikseps software about 2 weeks ago and im barely getting to use it. For those who do cymk i would like to know, is cymk when you print color on top of another color and they blend to make the desired color or is cymk just wet on wet without the inks ever mixing/touching. I've only printed either one color jobs or 2 color jobs im assuming spot color process. I print for example a name in black with a red border around the name. well im looking to learn and start printing more advanced thats why i purchased quickseps. I read that its good for begginers, and well i kinda know how to do what the software does manually but i figured it would also be a faster way to get the results. Well im assuming its for cymk, but what exactly is a white underbase? When doing cymk is their special ink you have to use???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2010 Feb 15, 2010 6:55:34 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: PixelPimp
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Default Re: cymk & quik seps

CMYK printing does require specific inks, they are more translucent then average inks. Be aware that each manufacturer makes slightly different pigments, they should supply color profiles for them.

printing CMYK, you can use different methods but the most common is wet on wet. Flashing a between a color creates a different effect. It's always best to account for tests on the setup for best results.

I don't use quickseps or any automated software, the results just don't compare to a skilled experienced separation artist.

Old February 15th, 2010 Feb 15, 2010 7:48:18 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Jimmy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

CMYK printing is just about 100% dependant upon process inks mixing with one another on press to get the desired results. Process inks are transparent, therefore are intended to mix with each other. And yes, you do need process inks to print CMYK jobs. Union Ink trutone process colors work well. I'm surprised you have to ask "what is a white underbase"? An underbase is required on non-white shirts and I think the dude that wrote Quikseps recommends it for all CMYK jobs which is probably a very good idea.

As far as better results without using separation software, that's not for most. Process jobs usually print dark, muddy and are difficult to control if not separated by someone that "really" knows their craft. You'll most likely need software to get acceptable results.

Just remember that process inks are for process CMYK jobs only. All other kinds of jobs use standard plastisols.

Old February 15th, 2010 Feb 15, 2010 8:00:46 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmytees
An underbase is required on non-white shirts and I think the dude that wrote Quikseps recommends it for all CMYK jobs which is probably a very good idea.
Using a white under base on white will make the process colors brighter, as they are sitting on a gloss white base and not the mat white fabric. This can be very beneficial for some designs but often CMYK is done to save costs over simulated process and or index because of the number of screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmytees
Just remember that process inks are for process CMYK jobs only. All other kinds of jobs use standard plastisols.
This is true, however don't hesitate to use a process ink for a spot job if using a white under base. I've had client want vibrant colors but not neon, CMYK inks are very vibrant when printed on a white base and if you need a vibrant cyan, yellow or magenta, those inks give very bright vibrant results.
If you understand the properties of the ink it's good to try different things to see the results.

Old February 15th, 2010 Feb 15, 2010 11:50:16 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

I now have a better understanding i have also been watching alot of videos and it seems as though its a difficult process but im willing to give it a try. Thanks alot for the info and yea i kinda new about the white underbase. Idk i must have gotten my words confused when i wrote my question. Thanks though.

Old February 15th, 2010 Feb 15, 2010 11:52:33 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

one last question. is it a must to use a 305 mesh and does your artwork require halftone for cmyk or it doesnt matter if you have halftone or not. What squeegy is best the 80 or 70?

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 12:02:10 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

was purchasing quikseps a bad buy.

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 2:55:00 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ridgely
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Willie, the only time you won't need halftones is flat spot colors. Everything else is going to require a rip or ghostscript to output halftones or a post script laser printer.
Or using the bitmap halftone function in photoshop- which requires finesse and trial and error...
Quick seps is good, and you can learn a lot from watching it work. I have it and use parts of it. Like Red said, there is no substitute for knowing what you're doing and doing it manually- the program can't touch a human.

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 5:52:31 AM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by williekid
was purchasing quikseps a bad buy.
as a beginner, no, you can learn allot from seeing what it does, probably better for simulated process, CMYK really doesn't take much once you understand how the process works. You've basically given yourself a big head start ;]

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 5:56:10 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
one last question. is it a must to use a 305 mesh and does your artwork require halftone for cmyk or it doesnt matter if you have halftone or not. What squeegy is best the 80 or 70?
305 is not a must, with that mesh you can use finer halftone dot and the screen will capture it (if exposed properly).

Are you using a manual press or automatic? 305 is more for automatics as it's much tougher to print through. When i did cmyk on a manual press we used 280 mesh, our designs were done at 300ppi, outputed with 55lpi.
we used different angles for each color at that time but after reading the articles discussing using same angles i'd want to try that technique (i believe the angle most often used is 21 or 22 for all colors).

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 9:46:25 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

I am using a manual press. Just a four color/one station but i really plan on getting either a 4 color 4 station or 6 color 4 station really soon maybe within the next month or so. Riley Hopkins from ryonet. I bought the quikseps because i liked what i saw on video and i figured i could try some of tht stuff to advance my printing, plus i read that it was good for begginers and could take you where you are trying to go alot faster but that you will still need to do some editing yourself. Little by little im understanding and learning. As for halftones im using a epson 1400 and i already know about using the bitmap funtion in photoshop, im just not sure if thats enough. ive seen videos on it just havent tried it but i will this weekend. But i think just not to waste time i will be purchasing accurip and a ciss with all black ink. It will work correct? And when you say 22 you mean your angle at 21 or 22 degress? well thanks for the info i hope to buy the ink and screens i need soon and hopefully ill be on my way with advanced printing. What squeegy would be best to use a 80 or 70.

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 10:57:53 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
And when you say 22 you mean your angle at 21 or 22 degrees?
yes, the out put angle for each color. i haven't tried the method using 21-22 degrees but from what i've read the results seem really good.

regarding the squeegee, you will want a hard squeegee with a sharp blade. i don't recall what we were using on our manual press, but they were definitely hard squeegees. you want minimal ink coverage, a soft squeegee will be harder to control the ink deposit with.

Old February 16th, 2010 Feb 16, 2010 9:04:01 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Member-
T-Shirt Ninja

well the hardest i can get is a 80 and i suppose this will work. thanks alot for the info.

Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 10:17:01 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

hi guys i have acquired a quikseps i have some few questions about the software and about t-shirt printing i've always wanted to learn t-shirt printing and im kinna doing it self study by watching videos and also reading forums like this.. and i believe you guys will be a great help to a new guy like me...

1.) im planning to print designs like animals and human realistically what are the best process for this???
2.) with designs like this when out putting to film does halftone really required?
3.) with quickseps when i tried to explore it and came up with halftone and when trying to print it on film the "screen" is not applicable where you can adjust the lpi/dpi and degrees does this mean its already pre set and ready to print?
4.) unlike when im done with the separation and trying to print it the "screen function" is working and you can adjust it to proper settings...im kinna wondering printer has something to do with this it should come with rip?
5.) im really confused with quikseps if have like animal design since i believe its a mulit color job as soon as i was able to "Go Seps" , can i immediately proceed to outputting it to film and make the necessary adjustment??? or i should i halftone it??
6.) when is halftone necessary???

thanks guys im looking forward to your response for it will be a great help for me.

Old June 10th, 2010 Jun 10, 2010 10:28:45 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

1) Index, Simulated process and lastly 4color process.

2)Both simulated and four color process require the use of halftones.

3)i don't use quickseps but i'm guessing if they don't give you the options then they are preset in the software

4)no clue as i don't use quickseps

5)no clue as i don't use quickseps

6) Halftones are necessary for smooth gradients

GraphicFX have a great section of their website explaining the different methods of printing FAQ -=> Screenprinting

This is a discussion about cymk & quik seps that was posted in the Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in