Stop buying Epson Printers - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Stop buying Epson Printers

Like Tree22Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Sep 11, 2020 10:22:36 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Stop buying Epson Printers

I recently purchased an Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-format Printer and an all black ink set.

When I installed the ink, the printer would not recognize the cartridges.
I emailed Epson and their response was that I had to use genuine Epson ink.
I have a few issues with this:
I paid for this printer and so I own it, it is now mine. I should be able to put whichever ink it that I want to. It is an expendable item. What if they said you could only use one brand of paper?
I want to use all black ink, Epson does not even offer this. The same for someone who wants to use sublimation ink.

I have found that they are also adding this to updates on older printers so they will not recognize 3rd party inks.

I understand there are hacks that can be tried, but we shouldn't have to. These are unscrupulous business practices and we need to stop allowing them.

Brett

samking likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 11, 2020 10:33:40 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default Re: Stop buying Epson Printers

The EPSON printers I buy are OUT OF STOCK for evey model through every outlet. So I have quit buying Epson printers.
But you are right about the software detecting non-OEM carts. All the manufacturers are doing it. There is not place to go.
What is more menacing is with all the wi-fi connectivity, updates can occur without consent.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 11, 2020 1:15:37 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Not a problem we get in Europe because it is illegal for the printer manufacturer to restrict free choice of replacement ink.
Is it worth installing the European drivers to see if that solves the problem? If it works you will have to get used to ISO paper sizes, but you can add your own custom sizes. ( A3+ is the same as your Super B, if that helps).

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
NoXid (1 Week Ago)

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 11, 2020 2:29:20 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,561 Times in 2,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearYourThreadz
I recently purchased an Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-format Printer and an all black ink set.

When I installed the ink, the printer would not recognize the cartridges.
I emailed Epson and their response was that I had to use genuine Epson ink.
I have a few issues with this:
I paid for this printer and so I own it, it is now mine. I should be able to put whichever ink it that I want to. It is an expendable item. What if they said you could only use one brand of paper?
I want to use all black ink, Epson does not even offer this. The same for someone who wants to use sublimation ink.

I have found that they are also adding this to updates on older printers so they will not recognize 3rd party inks.

You can't expect Epson to hlep you troubleshoot 3rd party cartridges. Contact your cartridge supplier.

Once you get it working, turn off auto-updates.
samking likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 11, 2020 3:36:49 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
Not a problem we get in Europe because it is illegal for the printer manufacturer to restrict free choice of replacement ink.
Is it worth installing the European drivers to see if that solves the problem? If it works you will have to get used to ISO paper sizes, but you can add your own custom sizes. ( A3+ is the same as your Super B, if that helps).
Interesting. I bet that means that the EU printers have different code in their on-board memory, as the printer itself can reject carts even if not hooked up to a computer.

I'm in the USA, but keep finding more reasons to use my Amazon UK account ;-)

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 12, 2020 12:50:41 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
Interesting. I bet that means that the EU printers have different code in their on-board memory, as the printer itself can reject carts even if not hooked up to a computer.

I'm in the USA, but keep finding more reasons to use my Amazon UK account ;-)

I wasn't sure if the cartridges are controlled by the printer or the driver, but I suspect you are correct. Might be worth a shot, though.

What are the shipping and import costs of buying from UK or EU? The weak £ might make it viable, but will you be getting close to the cost of an Ecotank? ( If you can find a suitable model).

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 12, 2020 1:55:12 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXid
Correct. European printers have different firmware.

Quote:
I paid for this printer and so I own it, it is now mine. I should be able to put whichever ink it that I want to.
Quote:
Epson does not even offer this. The same for someone who wants to use sublimation ink.
You do own the printer and you can do whatever you want with it, BUT you cannot expect Epson to offer technical support for whatever ink you want to use.

Quote:
What if they said you could only use one brand of paper?
They can do this if they want too.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 12, 2020 4:58:32 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I modified the FIRMWARE on an Epson printer (chipless) and when restarting the message FIRMWARE DOWNGRADED presented. That as the last thing that printer ever said to me affer hours and hours of trying to bring it back to life.
Changing the fimware can a one-way street to disappointment.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 8:36:16 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Sam

It's time this practice is stopped, imagine buying a vehicle and the manufacturer demands who can be a passenger, no Mexicans, Chinese, Indians or Blacks are allowed and demands which brand of gas can be placed into your vehicle, that has to come to an end from Epson, and that is dangerous.
PatWibble likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 9:25:37 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samking
It's time this practice is stopped, imagine buying a vehicle and the manufacturer demands who can be a passenger, no Mexicans, Chinese, Indians or Blacks are allowed and demands which brand of gas can be placed into your vehicle, that has to come to an end from Epson, and that is dangerous.
I don't blame Epson. Why should I be responsible to repair or replace or troubleshoot add on accessories you add to my printer?

What if I bought a screen printed shirt from you, had someone else embroider a patch on it, then contacted you when the patch started fraying. Would you fix?
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 9:57:10 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Splathead is right

using third party inks will not void your warranty (as long as you use normal inks and not something like sulfuric acid),
but epson is not responsible for items that are not theirs working or not working

to continue with the car analogy,
you can't call ford and say my non-ford muffler is too loud, fix it, when if you put their oem muffler on, it works (and is covered under warranty)

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 11:22:33 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samking
Are you trying to say that Epson printers are racists?
Maybe you are right because my printer is refusing to print properly on black paper. Black papers mater!
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 11:22:50 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I would not expect any manufacturer to warranty a product damaged by non-OEM items.

I think it is wrong for them to require that I use only their ink in MY printer. It is mine, I bought it. It is not on loan or lease.
I will not buy another Epson and I will discourage anyone else from buying one, until this practice stops.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 11:48:18 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I think it is wrong for them to require that I use only their ink in MY printer. It is mine, I bought it. It is not on loan or lease.
It is your printer, and you can use whatever ink you want, but Epson is not obliged to help you if the ink causing the issue is not theirs, or not tested and approved by them

Your ink supplier is responsible for ink

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 11:56:31 AM -   #15 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
I will not buy another Epson and I will discourage anyone else from buying one, until this practice stops.

OMG, then you won't be buying anybody's printer. What are you going to do now?
tcheck likes this.

This is a discussion about Stop buying Epson Printers that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in