Stop buying Epson Printers - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Stop buying Epson Printers

Like Tree22Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago Sep 14, 2020 9:36:37 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: andrew
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stop buying Epson Printers

Install printfab pro for that epson model and you should be able to get nice films printed, that's what I use

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 15, 2020 12:38:30 AM -   #17 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
Splathead is right

but epson is not responsible for items that are not theirs working or not working

But nine times out of ten times the reason that the carts aren't working is because the firmware rejects them, not because they are faulty.

European consumer regulation won't allow that level of protectionism, and all of the printer manufacturers succesfully work within that framework. There is no reason the same firmware can't be used elsewhere, other than US consumer legislation favouring big business.
I find it hard to believe that US consumers and consumer groups tolerate that situation and assume it to be acceptable.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 15, 2020 2:05:56 AM -   #18 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatWibble
But nine times out of ten times the reason that the carts aren't working is because the firmware rejects them, not because they are faulty.
That's absolutely true, but there is no US law against it so all printer manufacturers do it. US printer models are "locked" to accept genuine carts only.

European models are not locked because of the EuroVAprint and EU law, but if you call Epson and tell them "I just installed third party carts and they are not working", they will tell you to contact your cart supplier, and rightfully so. It's up to the third party cart manufacturer to produce compatible carts and offer support.
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 15, 2020 2:44:24 AM -   #19 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
That's absolutely true, but there is no US law against it so all printer manufacturers do it. US printer models are "locked" to accept genuine carts only.

European models are not locked because of the EuroVAprint and EU law, but if you call Epson and tell them "I just installed third party carts and they are not working", they will tell you to contact your cart supplier, and rightfully so. It's up to the third party cart manufacturer to produce compatible carts and offer support.
Pretty much the points I have been making, but thanks for rephrasing it for me.
into the T likes this.

Old 1 Week Ago Sep 15, 2020 3:51:23 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Ziggy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
to continue with the car analogy,
you can't call ford and say my non-ford muffler is too loud, fix it, when if you put their oem muffler on, it works (and is covered under warranty)
Or if you get some bad gas and destroy the engine. Pretty sure that's not covered under warranty.
into the T likes this.

Old 6 Days Ago Sep 15, 2020 1:32:59 PM -   #21 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
Or if you get some bad gas and destroy the engine. Pretty sure that's not covered under warranty.
What this now? Ford won't let me eat a bean burrito!

Old 6 Days Ago Sep 15, 2020 6:34:38 PM -   #22 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,314 Times in 1,080 Posts

I have a different take on it. Epson doubled the prices of print heads and then stopped selling print heads on 3rd party DTG machines. I then had to take it to an authorized dealer to have a print head replaced. This also meant my sublimation printers had to go there as well. I sold my DTG K2 and dumped the sublimation printers.

Never will I purchase one of their products again. Ever.
samking likes this.

Old 6 Days Ago Sep 16, 2020 1:07:18 AM -   #23 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
I have a different take on it. Epson doubled the prices of print heads and then stopped selling print heads on 3rd party DTG machines. I then had to take it to an authorized dealer to have a print head replaced. This also meant my sublimation printers had to go there as well. I sold my DTG K2 and dumped the sublimation printers.

Never will I purchase one of their products again. Ever.
Unfortunatelly printheads don't have a fixed price.
Increased demand and a limited supply means increased price, just like with any other product.

Have you actually called Epson and they have refused to sell you a printhead? I doubt it.
They may ask you for your printer serial number and limit the number of printheads you can buy within a period of time.
They probably do this to preserve printhead supply for other users.

I don't think they have stopped selling printheads to third parties.
That would be stupid on their part, as there are many competitors waiting to take their place (Xaar, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Ricoh, etc).
They are probably just ending support of some older printheads, which is normal.

Like it or not, Epson printers are the best choice for conversions because they have piezo printheads.
Most of the other brands have thermal inkjet printheads and cannot print sublimation inks, or inks containing binders.
There are some alternatives but are not widely supported by third party ink manufacturers.

Old 5 Days Ago Sep 16, 2020 5:35:54 AM -   #24 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Prior to Epson coming out with their own DTG they stopped selling print heads to 3 parties (consumers) through their dealer network. I could never buy them from Epson directly, I had to go through an authorized dealer. This was never a problem however once Epson did this the dealers were under threat of losing their dealer status if they sold a print head to someone without them actually installing it themselves. They also doubled the price of the heads that went into DTG machines. I had a K2 and the print head price when up so much it wasn't worth it to repair any more. It was clearly to stop competing DTG machines. This was confirmed by my Epson dealer.

I sold the K2, got out of DTG and that ended that chapter in our business. We are pretty happy now with embroidery, screen print, and a VersaCamm for printed and cut vinyl.

Old 5 Days Ago Sep 16, 2020 8:08:37 AM -   #25 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Prior to Epson coming out with their own DTG they stopped selling print heads to 3 parties (consumers) through their dealer network.
Well... I can still buy printheads from an authorized distributor, but it's cheaper to buy complete printer from a local shop, and have a full set of service parts.

Quote:
I had a K2 and the print head price when up so much it wasn't worth it to repair any more. It was clearly to stop competing DTG machines.
These printheads are expensive... but the same price would apply even if you had an Epson printer the same printhead. Too much demand for them.

Old 2 Days Ago Sep 19, 2020 4:14:44 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Ro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
OMG, then you won't be buying anybody's printer. What are you going to do now?

Going to have to start drawing his designs and hope that works!

Old 2 Days Ago Sep 19, 2020 6:55:16 PM -   #27 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Prior to Epson offering a DTG printer they stopped allowing dealers to sell printheads without installing them themselves. That was a few years back and in the USA. BUT, before that they raised the price of the 2200 print head from $220 to $450. THEN when that didn't stop people from buying them they restricted supply. That is when I sold my machine and said goodbye to DTG. That was maybe 2012 or so. I may have listed it in the classifieds right here, check it out for the date if you are interested.

Old 2 Days Ago Sep 19, 2020 7:05:26 PM -   #28 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

I was close. I couldn't find any posts where I mentioned the cost of the print heads though.

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/tf-cla...s/t229055.html

This is a discussion about Stop buying Epson Printers that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in