Epson 3880 vs Epson 1430 for film positive printing - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Epson 3880 vs Epson 1430 for film positive printing

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 4 Days Ago Jun 11, 2019 2:07:50 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson 3880 vs Epson 1430 for film positive printing

My EPSON 9600 died on me after about 6 years of great film positive printing.

When I purchased the 9600 I also got Accurip (version 1.04 build 40) and it looks like that program will also support both the 3880 and the 1430. So I assume I can use the rip I already have for either of them??

I found a used 3880 on craigslist for $350. I also found a few refurbished 1430 online for anywhere from $350-$450.

I've been researching and it seems like the 1430 is a pretty standard film positive printer with a lot of happy users. I like the idea of being able to use the regular inks (or cheap ebay knock offs) as opposed to having to do a full on blackmaxx conversion. That way I can also print regular photos if necessary.

It also seems like a lot of people are using the 3880 with good results. However, I'm not 100% sure the regular 3880 inks are good for printing film positives of if those users had blackmaxx inks.

I see that the 1430 uses dye based inks where the 3880 uses a pigment based ink. I have read from a poster on here that the dye based inks are better for creating film positives, so that has me leaning towards the 1430. Still not sure though.

Anyone have any input on which printer would be a better choice? What about the maintenance / longevity of the machines? If either sits for awhile (dye inks vs pigment inks) will they clog up and be useless? (I've also been researching a lot on dtg so clogs scare me lol)

For the past few months I've been getting by using a cheap Walmart printer (only prints up to 8.5 x 14). I have to tile larger designs (which often don't match up) and in addition to that I have to layer three transparencies to make it opaque enough to burn a good screen. It works but takes way too long and I'm wasting a lot of money on ink and films.

I just bought a WF 7720 because I got a great deal on it ($150 brand new) but after a few tests I'm not getting great results (plan on doing more tests but considering returning it if I can't get an opaque enough transparency to burn a screen without layering up).

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago Jun 12, 2019 4:34:43 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson 3880 vs Epson 1430 for film positive printing

I used a 3800 and bought inks from inkjetmall.com. The refillable 80 ml carts. Much nicer to not have to refill often and not use ciss system. It can make awesome positives especially with a RIP.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 3 Days Ago Jun 12, 2019 4:51:13 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I have used the 1430 for the past 10 years and it works great. A new one from Epson only cost $300.00 a couple of years ago. I believe they have discontinued it though. You could contact Epson and see which printer replaced the 1430 and uses the Claria inks in it.

Old 1 Day Ago Jun 13, 2019 9:34:16 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the feed back.

Between the 3880 and 1430 I was planning on going with the 1430 because it seemed to be cheaper to fill with ink. But I ended up getting the WF 7720 to print a very opaque transparency so I'll just stick with it for now.

This is a discussion about Epson 3880 vs Epson 1430 for film positive printing that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in