Equipment Costs - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Equipment Costs

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By numbercruncher

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 10th, 2019 May 10, 2019 11:27:49 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Equipment Costs

Operating in Canada can be frustrating when it comes to equipment costs. One thing that makes it tough is companies that list themselves as a dealer but really are just an agency and they just take the US price and for minimum double the price. Knowing this I went direct and even with the exchange I saved a good amount of money and because what I purchased there was no same manufactured equivalent made in Canada that the equipment came without duties. The piece was small enough that I used my Fed Ex Ground account and paid for the shipping on my account another savings for me because it's paid in Canadian dollars. The frustration is the amount of work you have to go through to be able to run your business when items are not in Canada. I hope this is of use to fellow screen printers in Canada in that you still can get the equipment you want, yes with exchange rate and in most cases no duty and you have a savings and the equipment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2019 May 13, 2019 7:22:41 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Michael

Default Re: Equipment Costs

If not made in Canada - working to getting the proper certification and dollars right can be quite an experience - and not cheap either. As far as scooting around - I'm not sure what the Canadians do on smaller pieces of equipment. But as is the case with most governments, the Canadians may not agree with you. Heard a story years back from another manufacturer about a guy who had his wife transport a flash ... nearly earned one of those special correctional uniforms.
Not saying you aren't 100% legal or right - just urging due caution. Good printing..
into the T likes this.

Old May 13th, 2019 May 13, 2019 8:29:45 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

numbercruncher my accountants wife is a government lawyer and she pointed me through the red tape that many wouldn't bother with nor know about. Basically if there is no known equivalent manufactured or sold in Canada then said equipment if meeting Canadian Electrical and CSA guidelines is then duty or excise free. Now I don't abuse this but when I need something specific it is all legal. To be honest if US suppliers wanted to sell more outside it would be worth their time to look into the mumbo jumbo legal red tape. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Canadian suppliers are already taking advantage of this which means when they quote shipping including import duties they are just pocketing the extra.

Old May 14th, 2019 May 14, 2019 7:26:45 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Michael

[QUOTE=Gettingitdone Basically if there is no known equivalent manufactured or sold in Canada then said equipment [COLOR="DarkRed"]if meeting Canadian Electrical and CSA guidelines [/COLOR]is then duty or excise free.

Yes and meeting those guidelines (which are required), even though one meets the CE and/or UL requirements, has to be done by Canadian certified inspectors. Previous approval of the same machine means squat. This certification usually takes time and costs thousands(US Dollars) on presses and dryers.

Old May 14th, 2019 May 14, 2019 8:04:55 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

numbercruncher yes new certification can cost and takes time but if equipment such as a manual press no electrical the only certification needed is safety and if said components have been originally passed then the press comes in duty or tariff exempt. Now if there is electrical if there is no changes to say the components in a exposure unit and it has originally passed then again the unit comes in duty and tariff exempt because in each case their is nothing manufactured in Canada. The only reason I started all of this was I worked for the largest litho press manufacturer in the world and if components within the press once the first model was certified the only time it had to be recertified was when a component was not certified. This press manufacturer had CSA and the Electrical Authority and UL and CE offices on site so that their equipment was checked and approved in design stage. Yes this did add costs but each and every unit came in landed duty and tariff exempt. Smaller equipment manufactures do not do this which puts the burden and costs onto the purchaser which because it is a one off is more expensive. So here in Canada the equipment comes in and tagged for tariffs and then tagged for Electrical and Safety inspection and certification. CE is not recognized in Canada as being approved and equipment with only this certification then the burden of all certifications is then passed onto the purchaser whereas if the equipment is UL certified then it is a automatic pass with CSA as they follow the same guidelines and standards.

Old May 27th, 2019 May 27, 2019 10:16:10 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Subi

Screen printing press made by Shoba are manufactured in Canada. They are located in the Hamilton and Brantford area.

This is a discussion about Equipment Costs that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in