T-Shirt Forums banner

Looking for Large format printer (24") that can be used infrequently

945 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  nectar54 
#1 ·
Just wondering if you could leave a large format printer idle for a few months at a time as I would only need to use it when I had to create artwork (5-6 times a year)

Getting positives printed at A1 size is very expensive and ive seen used Epson & canon 24" printers go for £100-300 on ebay.

Would I realistically be able to maintain one only using it 5 or 6 times a year?

How much and how often do you have to print in order to keep the heads from blocking?

#3 ·
i would most definitely be using third party refillable ink cartridges. This printer only need to do screenprint positives and i might even think about doing all black for the cartridges

How much does it cost in materials to do a nozzle check each week approx?

Its hard enough to justify doing this as a hobby already let alone maintaining a huge printer every week.

#4 ·
It seems like you've got the deck stacked against you.

You're really asking for something that doesn't exist. If it did, it would be the most popular WF printer on the market. There are thousands upon thousands of us that would be first in line to buy one.

Saying that, you are introducing even more challenges into the equation by using 3rd party inks; worrying about the cost to run a nozzle check / head cleaning. Don't get me wrong, those are costs that are important, but if it's such a factor, then that alone should probably drive you away. If you have to replace the heads, that will be the single biggest maintenance cost you can encounter so in relative terms, those nozzle checks and head cleanings are irrelevant.

It's hard when it's a hobby. It's harder when it's a small business but still have to calculate the true cost of ownership.

To answer your other question; if you print a little bit every couple of days, you'll be fine. Go a week and you'll have to do a nozzle check. Go a month and you'll be doing multiple head cleanings. Do go over a month; don't go over a week or two.

Good luck.

#5 ·
Consider decommissioning the printer until it is time to put it to work.Yes, it will be a couple hours work in both directions but you will sleep better at night.

Hoping for a good outcome with a half baked strategy is an exercise of futility OR......find more business for the large format and promote it from Hobby to PROFIT.

#7 ·
i think that wouldnt be realistic but ill certainly research what is involved in decommissioning a printer

Selling a service would be ideal, im not exactly sure what kind of market there is for people needing screenprint positives here in the UK but might be worth a go.

#9 ·
If you can't find more use for the printer (like printing films for others), then you are probably best served by just paying someone to do one when you need one.

Wait ... hold on now. Do you currently have a printer that you use to print smaller films? If so, decommission it and keep it on a shelf as a backup (flush it with head cleaning fluid, like PiezoFlush), then use the 24" for everything.

#10 ·
I currently have a canon pro 100 that I use for general household stuff like printing amazon return's / mailing labels and stuff.

I never actually considered using a 24" to do this kind of stuff but it seems you can

maybe I can justify buying one after all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.