Gas vs Electric Dryers - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Gas vs Electric Dryers

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 6:26:54 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Gas vs Electric Dryers

We are in the process of downsizing and replaced our VERY old gas dryer for an electric dryer. Actually the old dryer completely went out the day before our new dryer was delivered...what luck!! So we are in the process of setting up the new dryer.

Anyways...what are your thoughts (pros and cons) for the electric dryers vs the gas dryers.

Also..would appreciate input form members who have or have used electric dryers.

Thanks for the info!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 6:35:13 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: amy

Default Re: Gas vs Electric Dryers

My dryer is electric. It is not new by any means. I truly cannot tell a difference in my electric bill since I got it. We start it the minute we hit the garage and don't shut it off until we're ready to walk out. I've heard gas is cheaper to run, but I have zero complaints here.

Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 6:40:53 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've heard that gas is cheaper to run..but the new gas dryers are so expensive. We have been running the OLD very inefficient gas dryer for many years and in an OLD inefficient building for a few years..so our gas bills are out of control. Which we are currently changing both...so I may not experience the electric bill of and electric dryer crunch for awhile...since we will be reducing our overall gas bill substantially.

It will be a big change for all..but it will adjust.

Curious on the whole "scorching" with electric dryers? Is it that bad?

Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 6:50:48 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: amy

KNock on wood, when I got the dryer the guy who had been using it had marked where he set the temp and where he set the belt and I've never had an ounce of trouble with scorching anything. I mean I've tried to print some cardboard boxes that I think I could have or should have turned the temp down on the dryer or turned the belt up, but yet I still never had anything scorch. I'm sure you can do that, but I've been VERY fortunate.

I look back now and am soooo pleased that I bought a used dryer from someone that I know/knew that I could call and ask anything.

Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 7:04:26 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

We run an electric dryer and that thing is running 9 hours a day and we have not noticed the differences in electric bills . . . this time last year we were consumption has been the same.

As far as the scorching is concerened we have scorched a few but not even enough to hurt profits. A lot of the time when I get scorch marks I just get some diluted hydrgen peroxide and water and spray it out with water . . the scorch fades out . . . you can tell the scorch is there but not as bad as the rust color when it came out of the dryer.

Just check your speeds constantly and temps.

Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 7:16:09 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Gas dryers provide a more even heat. Gas dryers are good for waterbase and discharge because they evaporate moisture better than infrared. Gas dryers are color blind. Temperature is not affected by the height of the garment, whereas the closer the garment (or part of the garment) to the infrared panel, the hotter it gets, hence the issues with scorching. If I had natural gas in my building, I'd definitely have a gas dryer.

That said, electric dryers do their job and do it well. It may or may not be cheaper to run a gas dryer, the difference should not be too significant, but depends on where you live. Electricity in my area is $0.15 per Kw hour delivered. Most dryers are between 4 and 10 Kw, so roughly a dollar and some change per hour to run. If at all possible, look for one with forced/recirculating air. This will help with scorching as well as evaporating waterbase and discharge inks.

Old January 11th, 2009 Jan 11, 2009 7:30:01 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: John

Just to add to East Bay, Gas dryers are cheaper to fix and last longer.

Old January 12th, 2009 Jan 12, 2009 6:29:23 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: jake

I have used electric dryers for years. When I first started, I had an ancient hulking beast with individual elements that went out regularly and was expensive to run. I now use a much smaller unit that is extremely cost efficient, and hasn't slowed us down at all. And since I purchased a temp gun a few years back, I haven't scorched a shirt since.

I've heard that gas dryers are more energy efficient... though I would have guseed that back when fuel prices were so high, the cost difference would have shifted to an electric's favor. But the cost difference in the unit alone would make up a lot of the difference anyway.

Personally, I'll stick with the electrics. I have no complaints.

Old January 12th, 2009 Jan 12, 2009 6:30:30 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: jake

*guessed*

Sorry... you'd think that someone who typed a slow as me wouldn't do such a thing :P

Old May 4th, 2013 May 4, 2013 8:39:19 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

gas dryers are no question more cost efficient and if you have the space they have more benefits ( no scorching, waterbase/discharge can be done easily). For real production gas is king especially in NY where electric rates are through the roof. Our gas dryer lasted over 20 years until sandy...just did a full rebuild and expect another 20+

The Following User Says Thank You to newyorkny4224 For This Useful Post:
Bigmoish (September 21st, 2016)

This is a discussion about Gas vs Electric Dryers that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in