Epson 1400, Done for good or Repairable? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Epson 1400, Done for good or Repairable?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ripcord

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 22nd, 2016 Sep 22, 2016 12:52:46 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Epson 1400, Done for good or Repairable?

So about a year ago, I decided to start using my Epson again and bought a CISS ink setup. I was using the inks that came with the system (dye based I think?), but the refills I bought after I started running out of some of the colors were pigment based because I had red that they would leave a darker print. Like an Idiot (admittedly, uninformed, uneducated in this subject) I refilled the tanks and mixed some of the two inks together (dye and pigment). I started having issues with the print head after all of these changes. Massive clogs, streaky print outs. Nothing was working correctly.

A little back story on the printer: It was bought in 2009 new and we used it for about 6 months to print all black proofs for burning screens. We semi retired it (unless we had a larger design) and started using an older Laser printer and translucent vellum paper for our proofs. This was (and still is) much less expensive and worked (and still works) just fine for everything we print from 1 color to 6 color, manual or automatic printing. The Epson was rarely used, and I probably spent more ink cleaning the head of clogs when I did need to use then I actually used to print the proof itself. I converted it to all black ink cartridges at one point and probably bought 2-3 sets of those over the course of a couple years. This was all before the CISS was installed.

When I bought the CISS system, I cleaned the heck out of the print head, removed it completely, soaked it in 90% alcohol overnight, did this a few times, ran the cleaning process on the printer software many times, but I can't get the head to unclog. I even put it in my wife's jewelry cleaner (ultrasonic) and all of these things I did made me think it was going to be good to go based on ink deposits that were coming out of the print head with each process I did.

So, onto my point - is there any other way to get this thing cleaned up and working well again or am I SOL and do I need to just spend the money on the new (or used) print head for it, clean out my ink system and put all the right inks in, and start over? I'd like to be able to use the Epson for larger prints since my Laser printer only prints 11x17 (10.5x16.5 with margins). I'd also still like to use the CISS so ink isn't so darn expensive for this thing.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hopefully I can gain some insight from this great forum! I'm a huge advocate of "forums" in general and have used them for anything and everything for the better part of the last 15 years. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2016 Sep 23, 2016 4:25:15 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default Re: Epson 1400, Done for good or Repairable?

mmmm i believe i read somewhere that an ultra sonic cleaner well break the interworkings of the print head. its probably cheaper and easy to buy a whole newer printer at this point. remember time is money

Old September 23rd, 2016 Sep 23, 2016 10:48:59 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Well since I know the internals like the back of my hand at this point, replacing the print head is a cinch and its only around $100 if I recall...

Old September 23rd, 2016 Sep 23, 2016 11:50:03 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by team first inc
Well since I know the internals like the back of my hand at this point, replacing the print head is a cinch and its only around $100 if I recall...
usually $130-$150 for print head. You need to throw out the CISS and replace. clean the park pad, wiper, flush the entire system. Do your nozzle patterns change with cleanings? Your waste ink pad is likely close to full so resetting it and adding a waste ink tank or replacing.

You may have damaged the ink head with alcohol and or ultrasonic cleaner. I have never failed to clear a clog and I have found Epson printers in storage unit 5+ years sitting but took as long as 2 weeks. There are plenty of cleaning solution recipes online, some are non harmful to the head and some will destroy it. Any of the commercial cleaning solutions shouldn't hurt the head. You can use a syringe and tubing to very gently push the solution though each channel but over pressuring the head will cause it to delaminate. I use a plastic adaptor for the small format Epson's.

youtube there are several good videos for soaking the head, This is done in the printer and no need to remove head, or pushing solution though. Water can be used and warm to hot water works well. Also sometimes drawing air and the pushing solution back though works.

Old September 23rd, 2016 Sep 23, 2016 1:59:11 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Bob

I have had so many problems with Epson heads. I have about 6 of them sitting around in disrepair.

Old September 23rd, 2016 Sep 23, 2016 3:56:21 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I dont' think mixing inks is an issue.

I consider Epson printers to be like toilet paper. You only get to use them once and you eventually have to replace the roll and buy more.

I'm in Houston and it's humid here. It's nearly impossible to keep humidity constant or low and this causes issues with the printers over time.

In addition, they are not designed to dump tons and tons of ink out like we all do. It's not a big deal, but it's like using your Toyota Corolla to haul gravel. It can do it but you will wear it out.

Old September 23rd, 2016 Sep 23, 2016 4:13:25 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I had an Epson 1520 about ten years ago and I refilled the cartridges with cheap ink and it clogged beyond all recognition. I had to take it to an Epson certified shop for the warranty repair, which took like three weeks. From then on I only used genuine Epson cartridges that cost almost $60 each.

I use HP printers now. You can refill the cartridges for pennies and in the unlikely event that the head clogs, a new cartridge will immediately solve the problem. When the printer eventually gives up the ghost you can buy another one at Office Depot for less than $300. Even cheaper online.
Hotpuppy likes this.

Old November 1st, 2016 Nov 1, 2016 7:02:48 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

All good answers! Thankfully, I've got the go ahead to get a new printer. It will serve two purposes - 1. Color Mock Up's to be attached to all screen print orders, and 2. All Black Screen Printing Positives for multi color jobs. (I don't have a RIP, ditched that a while back for Simple Seps)

It seems the latest bang for your buck Epson is the Artisan 1430? Am I correct to assume that? I'm good with getting a new CIS system for it as I would like to save as much as I can on ink. I still have an old trusty monochrome laser printer for single color jobs and anything that can be printed in bk/wh.

Can you all recommend a decent CIS system and ink set to use right out of the gate? I want to get this one right and not fudge it up like I did with the 1400.

Thanks in advanced everyone!

Old November 1st, 2016 Nov 1, 2016 10:00:20 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Paul

Epson WF7110 prints 13x19 $149 on Amazon Prime
We use Refillable Carts only because with Epson Printers they seem to be the least problematic.

The Following User Says Thank You to FATTTEES For This Useful Post:
team first inc (November 1st, 2016)
Old November 1st, 2016 Nov 1, 2016 10:02:53 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATTTEES
Epson WF7110 prints 13x19 $149 on Amazon Prime
We use Refillable Carts only because with Epson Printers they seem to be the least problematic.
Wow! That's a great price for wide format. Do you mind sharing what refillable cartridges you are using? Thanks for the tip!

Also, are you using RIP software or anything special to get nice dark positives?

Old November 1st, 2016 Nov 1, 2016 10:18:33 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by team first inc
Wow! That's a great price for wide format. Do you mind sharing what refillable cartridges you are using? Thanks for the tip!

Also, are you using RIP software or anything special to get nice dark positives?
Also, just checked Amazon and then 7110 is out of stock for now. But the 7610 All-In-One with a scanner/copier is the same price and prints the same wide format. I think I might pull the trigger on that one. Any thoughts from anyone before I dive in?

Old November 1st, 2016 Nov 1, 2016 4:07:47 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Any last minute opinions? I picked up the WF7610 tonight at Staples for $150. Any reason I shouldn't open it tomorrow and get things going? Seems the scanner will be good for duplicating t shirts from customers as well as printing full size proofs. I think this might be able to replace my 5000n, photo 1400, and my huge scanner that doesn't like windows 10. Lol

Old November 2nd, 2016 Nov 2, 2016 4:54:04 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Paul

We use Cobra Inks for everything. I have a epson 1400 that we use their refillable carts with Sublimation Ink also a WF7110 that I use their Pigment Ink and they have all Black setups for Screenprinting. Tell them you are a member of this Forum and save 10%

This is a discussion about Epson 1400, Done for good or Repairable? that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in