Pond Liner not stretching enough on exposure unit - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

Pond Liner not stretching enough on exposure unit

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2014 Mar 9, 2014 10:44:47 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Pond Liner not stretching enough on exposure unit

I replaced neoprene on vacuum exposure unit with Pond Liner. The pond liner is not stretching much at all. I checked & the vacuum pump is working. I read that the pond liner needs more slack. Maybe I didn't give enough slack. Just how much slack does the pond liner need compared to the neoprene. Can someone snap a picture or describe how loose the pond liner.

Are there different types of pond liner sold at Lowes. This was their $40.00 product.

My exposure unit is Nuarc model First Light. My pump is a Gast. It is sucking air just fine. The pump came with this Nuarc model when I bought it used.
Thanks,
Twillie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2014 Mar 9, 2014 1:09:03 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Chris
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Pond Liner not stretching enough on exposure unit

I use marine vinyl from joann fabrics. It works great and was only about 10 bucks a yard. The more you use it the more it forms to the screen also. It's nowhere near as stretchy as neoprene so you need slack in it also but if your doing it on the cheap it's a great option.

Old March 9th, 2014 Mar 9, 2014 1:17:10 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I also bought some stuff from JoAnns it looks like neoprem or wetsuit stuff
works good for me
Larry

Old March 9th, 2014 Mar 9, 2014 1:25:52 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,481 Posts

The pond liner needs quite a bit of slack. I don't have the pond liner no more I replaced with the wet suit material listed on the shirt board forum. It was $80 but enough to replace twice.

Old March 9th, 2014 Mar 9, 2014 4:23:33 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tom
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

This is a picture of the one I made that used a small Gast vacuum pump I picked up at a salvage place. I got the pond liner from Home Depot. The liner won't conform to the frame like wetsuit material will, but it would pull the mesh down into intimate contact with the film and glass. I don't know if this photo shows how much slack I've really got in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacuum frame outside.jpg (391.4 KB, 40 views)

Old March 10th, 2014 Mar 10, 2014 12:51:54 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for all the advice and the idea to pick up fabric at Joann's. I am going to try the pond liner once more as the original quantity of the pond liner purchased from Lowes left me enough to try it again. Not sure how much slack to give the pond liner.
If it doesn't work I think I will justgo for the neoprene because I will be too frustrated with the pond liner project have gone bad to risk buying any other product wrong.
Thanks again for the help & advice.
Twillie

Old March 10th, 2014 Mar 10, 2014 5:10:03 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

One other thing. Are you sure you're getting maximum pull-down with a good seal around the blanket frame?

Old March 11th, 2014 Mar 11, 2014 5:24:11 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I am not positive about my seal. I reglued the gasket with super glue. I would have preferred epoxy glue but went with the super glue as it was all I had at the time.

I tried again laying the pond liner down again but I didn't screw it down there were wrinkles. I am sure wrinkles would be bad. Do you put anything inside of the frame like wood to build up the inner portion of the frame to be able to get slack without wrinkles. I put some wood inside to make it an even surface
but I don't think I have it right. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old March 11th, 2014 Mar 11, 2014 5:32:47 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mine is just a simple frame -- something like 2x2 wood. Some self-adhesive weatherstripping along the bottom where it meets the glass. Here's a picture of the inside corner:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vacuum frame inside detail.jpg (240.4 KB, 48 views)

Old March 12th, 2014 Mar 12, 2014 6:01:26 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for showing me the hole you drilled in the corner of your unit. My unit has a tire valve that screws on and goes through the fabric not the frame. I have it apart now so I can't take a photo.

Old March 16th, 2014 Mar 16, 2014 6:33:48 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I used the marine vinyl from joanne's fabrics. Got it with coupon for $10.00.
Burned one screen with marine vinyl so far & it worked. Marine vinyl is not nearly as stretchy and does not pull well into the corners. I am hoping it gets stretchier as I use it.

When screwing fabric down I stacked three screens inside to create what I hope was enough slack.

Will order the real neoprene but the marine vinyl will work on the cheap till the I get the 3mm foam backed neoprene. (@$80.00)

Thanks again for the advice!
Twillie
Monograms Plus - Imprinted Sportswear Custom Blankets

This is a discussion about Pond Liner not stretching enough on exposure unit that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in