automated poor mans conveyor - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Screen Printing Equipment
Discuss the different types of equipment needed for screen printing. Topics include manual screen printing presses, automatic presses, dryers, folding machines, starter kits and high end machines.

automated poor mans conveyor

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 12th, 2011 Oct 12, 2011 1:40:58 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Jay
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default automated poor mans conveyor

so, i've been using a poor mans conveyor dryer since i got started earlier this year.

i like it. it works well, considering we only have a flash dryer.

for those that have not seen or heard of it, here is a video...

Mytshirtprinting101's Channel - YouTube

basically, bob provided the plans for a simple roatary dryer made form 2x4's, a lazy susan, and some 18x18 tiles. i think i built the whole thing for under 50 bucks. i even got my tiles for like 2 bucks each because they had some chips in them at lowes.

anyway, as much as i like this "conveyor" it has its limitations and downfalls.

the main, being that, you have to rotate your shirt under the flash dryer, and set your timer, then you have to reach over and rotate again when the timer goes off.

this may seem minor, but when you get on a roll, it can become annoying.

if i am working alone, it slows down my printing, everytime the timer goes off. or worse, i forget to set the timer. same when i have a helper. we get to talking, and forget to set the timer.

here is a video of the dryer in use. you'll see what i mean...

Mytshirtprinting101's Channel - YouTube

so, i have been working on a way to get the table automated.. and i think i finally got it... almost anyway...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2011 Oct 12, 2011 1:44:25 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Default Re: automated poor mans conveyor

so last night i started working on something...

i had an old heavy duty bbq rotisserie spit in my garage..

yeah, you know where this is headed...

so i took the table apart, made some modifications to the base, and got the rotisserie hooked up underneath.

when i was done, i had an automatic rotating table

Old October 12th, 2011 Oct 12, 2011 1:47:15 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

one problem... it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast..

obviously, i need each tile to spend one minute under the flash dryer.

at the current speed, its roughly 3 or 4 seconds under the heat.

here's a video of it in action... note: while the motor sounds really loud.. its just because its quiet in the shop, and the camera has a decent mic. it's really barely noticeable, especially if i have the radio on or a few people talking..

Old October 12th, 2011 Oct 12, 2011 1:51:41 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

anyone have any ideas on how to slow it down?

i tried using a light dimmer switch today. but it didnt work. i just picked up a cheap 10 dollar job at lowes, that you plug a lamp into, and it has a slide for the power regulation.

but, on this motor, as soon as i start to slide it down, it just stops turning.

i cant think of any other way to slow it. or is there a different type of dimmer i can use?

im no engineer, but my guess is that this dimmer is limiting power, such that it would to a light. and the motor probably doesnt have enough torque to turn once the power is cut.

i mean i can not cut power AT ALL or it stop turning.

so im not sure if its the motor. or if its the cheap lamp dimmer i used.

there is virtually no resistance from the table onto the motor.

i can literally turn on a standard floor fan, and the air alone will spin the table.

anyone tried something similar? anyone have any ideas?

i really thought i was on to something.. and then after horus of work.. it doesnt work

Old October 12th, 2011 Oct 12, 2011 2:49:37 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Phil
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptime
anyone have any ideas on how to slow it down?

i tried using a light dimmer switch today. but it didnt work. i just picked up a cheap 10 dollar job at lowes, that you plug a lamp into, and it has a slide for the power regulation.

but, on this motor, as soon as i start to slide it down, it just stops turning.

i cant think of any other way to slow it. or is there a different type of dimmer i can use?

im no engineer, but my guess is that this dimmer is limiting power, such that it would to a light. and the motor probably doesnt have enough torque to turn once the power is cut.

i mean i can not cut power AT ALL or it stop turning.

so im not sure if its the motor. or if its the cheap lamp dimmer i used.

there is virtually no resistance from the table onto the motor.

i can literally turn on a standard floor fan, and the air alone will spin the table.

anyone tried something similar? anyone have any ideas?

i really thought i was on to something.. and then after horus of work.. it doesnt work
Regular lighting dimmers wouldn't work. They operated not by limiting the voltage, but by truncating the AC sine wave. You'd need an expensive variac dimmer to do what you're trying to do.

Maybe build some kind of step-down gearbox? You could probably find the parts from a modelling supply store of some kind (think, RC model aircraft)

The Following User Says Thank You to PhilR For This Useful Post:
Naptime (October 12th, 2011)
Old October 13th, 2011 Oct 13, 2011 6:25:49 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Tyson
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Although it would be better than nothing, the only reason I don't know about a step down setup being ideal is that then you'd have to change gears to change speed.

I'd suggest finding someone who can make you a digital timer circuit-- if you can homebrew a little logic, a photoresistor, and a 555 circuit, paired up with a line voltage relay, you could make a super sweet timing circuit with dwell. An even easier option would be just a timer and relay, figure out how much time on is 1/8th or 1/4 of a turn and have a footpedal or something. There's probably something floating around the DIY electronics on the web that would work. If you want to shell out a few bucks, the STAMP dev boards have way more stuff than you'd need for it, and they aren't too expensive. (About what a good rotisserie runs... )

The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenFoo For This Useful Post:
Naptime (October 13th, 2011)
Old October 15th, 2011 Oct 15, 2011 3:43:35 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Glen

you may try to copy the concept of an electric fan switch...
you can speed it up or slow it down thru that circuits
you're gonna be needing someone who knows about circuits

The Following User Says Thank You to glenjayz For This Useful Post:
Naptime (October 16th, 2011)
Old October 15th, 2011 Oct 15, 2011 4:11:15 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Angel
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Thanked 1,111 Times in 959 Posts

mechanically, gears (as mentioned) and pulleys are usually used to control speed.

I never really liked the rotating dryer idea as it takes too much space, difficult to contain the heat, to control the speed (your problem) and is just more difficult to go about it systematically with carousel press system. If you are using a rotisserie motor to move the rotary drier why not see if you can find a heat proof belt and built a conveyor dryer?

The Following User Says Thank You to BroJames For This Useful Post:
Old October 15th, 2011 Oct 15, 2011 8:10:21 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

A christmas tree light timer might work. Have it off for the amount of time it takes to cure the shirt. Then have it set to come on for the amount of time it takes to rotate the dryer.

The Following User Says Thank You to RhinoGuy For This Useful Post:
Old October 15th, 2011 Oct 15, 2011 10:13:45 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Phil

I'm with these guys on trying to do some gear reduction. There are plenty of resources online that can help you decide the reduction, what size pulley's to use. You can then offset the motor from the center, have a shaft up the center of it with the final drive pulley.

The other thing I could think might be going to radio shack .. try real hard to find someone at a radio shack that actually knows their *** from a hole in the wall.

Also ! found this from google.
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

The Following User Says Thank You to StampedTees For This Useful Post:
Old October 16th, 2011 Oct 16, 2011 7:48:52 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJames
mechanically, gears (as mentioned) and pulleys are usually used to control speed.

I never really liked the rotating dryer idea as it takes too much space, difficult to contain the heat, to control the speed (your problem) and is just more difficult to go about it systematically with carousel press system. If you are using a rotisserie motor to move the rotary drier why not see if you can find a heat proof belt and built a conveyor dryer?
I agree it does take up a lot of space. Even more than my press does. When we first built it, it was because it was quick, easy, and cheap. And it does work, it just has its limitations.

when I got the motor, the idea came to automate it. And it SEEMED like it would be easy enough. And it was. Except its too fast. Lol.

but yes, the ultimate goal is to build a conveyor, which is why I got the motor in the first place. Less space and less hassle. I think I'm still going to have to slow it down either way. But having easy access to the motor and drive shaft will make it easier.

I really like the idea of parts from a 10 speed bike !

I think I'll stick to manually rotating this current one. And save the money for the conveyor.

thanks for all the input .

This is a discussion about automated poor mans conveyor that was posted in the Screen Printing Equipment section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in