[Sawgrass DirectAdvantage] Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Sawgrass
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of the Sawgrass series of DTG printers.

[Sawgrass DirectAdvantage] Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2009 May 22, 2009 9:03:41 AM -   #1 (permalink)
HGE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Orion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Cool Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks

I am considering switching over to refillable cartridges for my Epson 4800/Direct Advantage Printer from Sawgrass (for DTG/cotton printing)and was wondering if anyone used this type of cartridge. Also what may be the Pro's and Con's of these cartridges. I have read many threads/posts about bulk systems and refillable cartridges but am intrested in info pertaining to these cartridges. I currently use Nautralink from Sawgrass and am fairly happy with the results.
These are the ones I am refering to;

http://www.dtginks.com/index.php/DTG-Supplies/Refillable-4800-Empty-Cartridge/Detailed-product-flyer.html

I am also wondering about DTG's inks, anyone use those as well?
I appreciate any input, Thanks and have a great day!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2009 May 22, 2009 9:28:05 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan

Default Re: Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks

Hello
Contact coach9 here on this forum as he has already done the switch and can answer your questions
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDan For This Useful Post:
HGE (May 22nd, 2009), Mistewoods (May 23rd, 2009)
Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 4:07:19 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

is a forum sponsor who has contributed over 1000 helpful posts in the forums!

You can call me: Don
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

We have had a few customers change to this ink set with not so favorable results. The ink requires a much higher level of maintenance as it tends to build up in the capping assembly and on the wiper blade more than all other brands that we have seen or tested. Discussions with other manufacturers/distributors have confirmed the same. I would suggest you speak your machine distributor to get their take on the change over.

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 4:40:34 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
We have had a few customers change to this ink set with not so favorable results.
And a lot that are currently very happy
Quote:
The ink requires a much higher level of maintenance as it tends to build up in the capping assembly and on the wiper blade
Pretty darn obvious as to all the DTG inks out there that regular maintenace program is needed and required, if all would do it this there would be a lot less problems and this is with any inkset
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Last edited by YoDan; May 25th, 2009 at 02:50 AM..

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 5:56:13 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Renee

Lets put ink aside for the moment…..

Fact:
Sawgrass is using closed cartridges that have been degassed for a reason, like Epson intended for all Epson based machines.
If you depart from this to an open system the integrity of your ink delivery system will be compromised.

We know this through experience with open systems on our 4800 Flexijet, even though it does work; it's not an optimum choice over the long run.
Future Flexijet machines will be supplied with a closed system in the future like our mod series currently does.
Our studies have shown this to be essential especially in jetting garment inks as they are very sensitive to temperature and humidity, as apposed to standard pigment ink for paper substrates.
Yes you will pay a bit more because of the process to degasses and package the ink in the cartridge, but you will end up paying for the difference in the end because of lost printing time messing around with clogged nozzles, replacing ink heads, dampers, capping stations and other ink components.

This is the simple truth of the matter.
bentcycle likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to ReneeMarlea For This Useful Post:
bentcycle (July 8th, 2014)
Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 6:10:39 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Well there are a lot of DTG systems out there that offered or use the so called open system and for over 5 years now, I also agree that this was not the best choice for some users but there are also the same type OEM cartridges/bags for the 4800/4880 being offered and have been offered and used for some time now. All the user has to do is put in the new bag re-set the 220ml chip and print!
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Last edited by YoDan; May 23rd, 2009 at 06:28 AM..

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 6:19:36 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
All the user has to do is put in the new bag re-set the 220ml and print!
That will work, the point I was making was that there will be a noteworthy performance improvement with closed bags as you know and agree with.

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 6:29:24 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I actually have a Flexi-jet with an open system and it works just fine. I live in a desert- generally under less than 10% humidity. I rarely run a humidifier. I do my maintenance very very faithfully, as I also did with the R&H inks originally recommended for the Flexi-jet. (future Flexijet machines? are they in production again? that would be cool as it is a pretty decent printer)

I have replaced one print head and one capping station and one wiper blade in three years of using this printer. Specifically I have used the DTGInks.com inks for over a year with no clogging problems. My 3 years of personal experience is pretty trouble free on the whole open ink delivery set-up.

One problem I have heard of and seen myself is that different cleaning solutions definitely react differently to various inks, and some do cause gumming up of the inks.

The truth is that closed systems and open systems and every single brand of ink out there have been reported by users, even on this very same forum, as having clogging/ banding/ink starvation issues. No ink or printer has been immune to reports of problems with both the systems and the inks. The sawgrass and anajet machines which have a closed cartridge system have not automatically been free of problems. Nor does price indicate perfection, one search for "Kornit" and it is obvious.

I don't believe there is one simple truth or one simple answer- if there was there would be no competition. The "best" answer is whatever is being sold today by whoever is selling it. It is a natural tendency to defend our own products as being the best and villify everyone else's.

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 6:32:28 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

A closed system may help some people in certain
environments BUT there have been many that just do not have any problems, I do agree that another choice which has been available for some time now is a plus for everyone.
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Last edited by YoDan; May 23rd, 2009 at 09:55 AM..

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 7:30:21 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Flexi-jet. (future Flexijet machines? are they in production again? that would be cool as it is a pretty decent printer)

Yes, a matter of fact we do have some of the original new Flexi-Jet machines still that have had firmware upgrades.
The new closed ink system will be integrated in the FlexI-Jet plus line along with a few more features.
Current Flexjet users will be able to adapt to the closed bags in the future.
Quote:
i do my maintenance very very faithfully

I realize you do not run white ink in your system which is many times more critical to jet correctly without cavitation accruing in the print head channels and that your do not run your machine 24/7.

Quote:
The "best" answer is whatever is being sold today by whoever is selling it.

I'm not trying to sell anyone, just stating some absolute facts based on our findings when DTG machines are put into real production environments.

The situation becomes quite apparent when these machines our put into real production with many different operators (not owners) that our expected to print all day with white or color ink.
Again if you print occasionally you will just do a clean now and then when you notice drop outs but it’s the beginning of the end of your print head since the drop will not jet straight as it should because of the open system, if you do not buy that print a large image, stop in the middle and take a look at your print head nozzle plate, I can guarantee you that it's collecting ink deposits.
There are things that go on at a molecular level that we now understand and have addressed.
That is the simple truth.
It's much more work and expense for us to do this but in the long run are service calls go down and we have happy customers that spend more time printing then pulling out syringes and losing prints.

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 7:50:37 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Again the closed ink system (OEM Type) for the 4800 is avaliable now if you have a need for it, and has been avalable for quite some time.
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDan For This Useful Post:
HGE (May 26th, 2009)
Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 8:09:51 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

i have a similar question but for the Epson Stylus Pro 5500 cartridges. are there any refill packages available that are of equal or better quality than factory Epson cartridges?

Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 5:34:00 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Many of the postings here are represented by sellers of those inks and/or connected parties.

As an UNCONNECTED party, let me give my opinion. I have been using DTG inks for almost a year now, and have had great success. I have also been using DTG Inks' open carts and love those as well. I whole-heartedly believe that 99% of clog/starvation/banding issues have something to do with cleaning methods or environment (humidity and temp) and not solely on an ink choice.

Too many people start having issues with print quality and go looking for someone to blame rather than accepting the fact that DTG printers need to be carefully and routinely cleaned and occasionally completely flushed and refilled. And eventually the head will need to be replaced because we are using ink that the system was not originally designed to carry.

Feel confident that if you switch over to Dan's DTG inks that he will give you a quality product at a great price and also STAND BEHIND IT with customer support.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rbonamarte For This Useful Post:
HGE (May 26th, 2009), Mistewoods (May 23rd, 2009), YoDan (May 23rd, 2009)
Old May 23rd, 2009 May 23, 2009 10:22:03 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Zhen

I used DTGInks for a few months but have since moved back to Dupont inks. It just didn't work for me. Cyan and Black would clog up regardless of humidity or amount of maintenance I did. Killed about 3-4 print heads before I moved back to Dupont and have no problems since.

The DTGInks wash good but I must have had a bad batch/s of the Cyan Black. Don't want to take sides but I think its only fair for this thread to hear the negatives/postives of the various inksets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zhenjie For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (May 24th, 2009), YoDan (May 24th, 2009)
Old May 24th, 2009 May 24, 2009 4:20:21 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Thanks zhenjie
Quote:
It just didn't work for me.
Now for the big question, what does the same ink work for one and not the other?
I have asked myself this many times. We all know that ALL these DTG inks that are currently being offered have had issues with some users at one point and time and when I say ALL I mean ALL, there currently is no perfect DTG ink otherwise I would be using it myself. We also know the key to keeping these printers running is the correct maintenance and I have preached this from day one. I get reports all the time from users and have tried my darnest to attempt to help them no matter which printer they have or which inkset they are using.
Bottom line is to take the time to do the correct maintenance, watch your temps and humidity, we also live in a free world that has brought us closer together and where we ALL have a choice and say as to where and what we can buy, and this should not controlled by anyone else other than yourself!
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"
bentcycle likes this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDan For This Useful Post:
bentcycle (July 8th, 2014), HGE (May 26th, 2009), Mistewoods (May 24th, 2009)

This is a discussion about Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks that was posted in the Sawgrass section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in