[Sawgrass DirectAdvantage] Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Sawgrass
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of the Sawgrass series of DTG printers.

[Sawgrass DirectAdvantage] Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 25th, 2009 May 25, 2009 4:15:30 PM -   #16 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: coach9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGE
I am considering switching over to refillable cartridges for my Epson 4800/Direct Advantage Printer from Sawgrass (for DTG/cotton printing)and was wondering if anyone used this type of cartridge. Also what may be the Pro's and Con's of these cartridges. I have read many threads/posts about bulk systems and refillable cartridges but am intrested in info pertaining to these cartridges. I currently use Nautralink from Sawgrass and am fairly happy with the results.
These are the ones I am refering to;

http://www.dtginks.com/index.php/DTG-Supplies/Refillable-4800-Empty-Cartridge/Detailed-product-flyer.html

I am also wondering about DTG's inks, anyone use those as well?
I appreciate any input, Thanks and have a great day!!!
I hope I'm not to late I am very happy w/dtinks from Dan,they r working great w/my sawgrass DA printer! The switch over is much less expensive,obout 25%of what Sawgrass ink cost.U can still use a closed system by getting new empty bags and filling them w/your own syringe.That is what I have done.In the near future I plan on going bagless,and use the larger carts from Dan.If u join Dan's formum there is a great deal of info and Dan is always willing to help by forum or phone,Don't hessitate to change inks,I will help U also!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coach9 For This Useful Post:
HGE (May 26th, 2009), Mistewoods (May 25th, 2009), YoDan (May 25th, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2009 May 25, 2009 4:18:35 PM -   #17 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Rusty

I have a Flexi Jet. I think it's a great printer. I'm glad I bought it instead of the one I almost bought. I used Dupont ink for the first 11 months. I ran 17,000 (app) prints with it. Changed the head and switched to DTG inks. Ran 17,000 (app) more prints in 7 months. Replaced the head. I'm now over 40,000 prints. I've had much less clogging issues with DTG inks than I had with Dupont. My printer is in a climate controlled room. Last fall it sat for 30 days, nothing in the capping station. The next time i printed, it took 2 simple cleans and I was printing again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty6509 For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (May 25th, 2009), YoDan (May 25th, 2009)
Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 4:39:56 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Renee

Quote:
I have a Flexi Jet. I think it's a great printer
Thank you Rusty, glad to here things are going well.

I pretty sure you do not run white ink in your printer, so I would expect much less issues with your ink especially since you have built a small room around your Flexi-jet and control the temperature and humidity so closely, this helps keep your ink from sticking (drying) on surfaces like the print head and capping station.

I quite misidentified that you would any trouble jetting the Dupont inks. We have experienced quite the opposite and have had ink from every ink manufacturer including DTG inks (from the source) and found them to be much more sensitive to humidly changes and that the yellow has some sublimation issues, meaning that when you press (cure) you would get a yellowing haze over other area's.

Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 5:15:13 AM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeMarlea

I pretty sure you do not run white ink in your printer, so I would expect much less issues with your ink especially since you have built a small room around your Flexi-jet and control the temperature and humidity so closely, this helps keep your ink from sticking (drying) on surfaces like the print head and capping station.
My Flexi with DTGinks includes the white and I have little problems. I have not built a room around my Flexi or anything like that, and I control the humidity but live an area where we are not blessed with humid days all the time. I still haven't had issues that I can blame on the ink. At one point I questioned my Cyan, but now I think that was inexperience in proper maintainence. If I get any ink buildup on the face of the printhead (happens sometimes with white ink due to the amount of ink sprayed and some reflects back onto the printhead occasionally), I just clean it with cleaning solution and the problem is solved.

My opinion is quality and price, and Dan's prices are great (CMYK actually got even lower recently).

Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 5:28:11 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
If I get any ink buildup on the face of the printhead (happens sometimes with white ink due to the amount of ink sprayed and some reflects back onto the printhead occasionally
This is due to the open system you use and could be avoided.

Quote:
I just clean it with cleaning solution and the problem is solved.
You should not need to wipe the print head if the white ink is jetted properly.
Because you are an operator owner you just deal with it, but if this machine was set into an industrial setting with no humidity control and operators that our expected to just print and not fuss then every thing would change.

If you would like to read why here is a link that will help you better understand..https://www.t-shirtforums.com/belquette/t85827.html

Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 5:30:57 AM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have never seen any problem in pressing the yellow or any color- no haze.

Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 5:39:42 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Dan

Quote:
no haze
The only hazing that I have seen is by the same people, ever notice that
Dan
"HAPPY PRINTING"

Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 5:45:00 AM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
I have never seen any problem in pressing the yellow or any color- no haze.
It's a matter of how discerning one is, we evaluated every aspect of many inks and there advantage or disadvantages, this was one of our findings.
I really do not want to get into a debate, if your happy then it's all good.
We are satisfied with our direction and choice and it's not price driven...

Last edited by ReneeMarlea; May 26th, 2009 at 06:22 AM..

Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 8:52:52 AM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Steve
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

nope never seen a yellowing haze and i have been useing dtginks for over a year. everything is price driven, but your eggs are currently in a closed system that is going to cost more, so i quite understand the sales patter, doesnt mean im swallowing it though..........

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sodrisc For This Useful Post:
Mistewoods (May 26th, 2009), YoDan (May 28th, 2009)
Old May 26th, 2009 May 26, 2009 1:14:00 PM -   #25 (permalink)
HGE
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Orion

Exclamation Re: Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks

Wow, take a little time away and you get a plethora of posts!!!

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to this thread.
I am still debating the switch over and it won't happen right away, I still have several Naturalink carts left to burn thru.
The open vs. closed issue is something that I am concerned about. I believe the maintenance level on the machine is high enough but if you do the daily cleanings shouldn’t that be effective if it is an open or closed system?
How can anyone say that price is not a driving factor, I thought we all we doing this to make money and if you can have a comparable ink set that is cheaper and requires similar maintenance and provides similar results then why not switch over? Also the closed bags I am currently using do not use all the ink within them and I am not a big fan of waste. Being that I am looking to save some money and get what I pay for seems to be a wise choice.
The cleaning that comes with an open system, seems to me, it is not much more then I do currently. Perhaps just an external part or 8 (the carts?) that may need a little cleaning as well.
As far as the bags and refilling them I see several people have posted that they go this route and it seems to be similar to what I was looking for. I am not a mega-shop and do have days that the machine is not printing. Normal cleaning and a shirt or two printed during this time frame has pretty much eliminated any problems I have had with clogging etc.
Back to Dan, I think you have a slight bias but are more then honest with your replies and I think that shows your commitment to your company as well as stating the truth about ink sets and various machines whether they are using your inks or not. It is appreciated. Some tend to be overly bias and it seems that you are more then willing to offer help and advice whether it gets you the sale or not, again appreciated.
I am still debating my switch over but am very interested in anymore advice or replies that any may have, once again Thanks to all for taking the time.
Have a great day…
bentcycle likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to HGE For This Useful Post:
YoDan (May 28th, 2009)
Old March 13th, 2013 Mar 13, 2013 4:57:21 PM -   #26 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: WyoCarol

I just got my first DTGink refillable and my sawgrass won't detect it, says it's not there. Yep reset the chip in it, think I held my mouth right but I can't get it to recognize it???? EEK Help

Old July 8th, 2014 Jul 8, 2014 3:30:21 PM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

still shopping around for alternatives to dupont. i read this thread after the sawgrass/brother one. i don't want to buy inks from a company whose bread and butter is petroleum based toxins.

Quote:
I thought we all we doing this to make money
not really. money isn't my biggest priority. being able to print "eff of and die oil industry!" militant tree hugging bicyclist tees that fight back against global warming is a higher priority for me, and i plan on using more expensive US made tees and hopefully selling my designs for under $15 each, and yes, make a little money at it too, but profits only is the worst motivation for any business. it leads to bean cutting and cost cutting that in the end sticks it to the customer.

if an ink truly performs better, then i'll spend more for it. quality is more important to me. i'd rather make $1 off the happiest customer in the world than $10 of an "it sucks to be you" mark any day like my previous dealings with creative labs. oh do i ever despise that company! LOL

doing what you love and taking pride in it hasn't been totally killed off by 21st century greed just yet. some businesses still believe in customer service.

Last edited by bentcycle; July 8th, 2014 at 03:35 PM..

This is a discussion about Refillable Cartridges & Inks from DTGinks that was posted in the Sawgrass section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in