Advantage vs. Brother Garment Printer - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Sawgrass
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future owners of the Sawgrass series of DTG printers.

Advantage vs. Brother Garment Printer

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 27th, 2008 Mar 27, 2008 12:26:38 PM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: chris
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Advantage vs. Brother Garment Printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaynestitches
The show is April 10-12 in Dublin (Columbus) Ohio. Look on NNEP - National Network of Embroidery Professionals for the details. Actually, I'm not sure if it is actually on the 10th or if I just wrote it on my calendar for travel time! We went last year - it was in St. Louis, MO and was very good. It's held in the Embassy Suites hotel - each vendor has a hotel room, which works very well. Much better than I would have thought. The show costs $10 or $20 a person, I forget, but details are on NNEP site. If you're already in Ohio, it would be great for you. It's a good show. Is Direct to Shirt the name of the company Brian is at? We will definitely look for them. Last show we went directly to the Brother booth. Thanks for your info.

Is this just an embroidery show?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2008 Mar 27, 2008 1:28:26 PM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwoods
Is this just an embroidery show?
It's mainly embroidery, but also some screen printing and of course garment printing as well. Check on NNEP.net for details. They will list the exhibitors there.

The Following User Says Thank You to elaynestitches For This Useful Post:
martinwoods (March 27th, 2008)
Old March 29th, 2008 Mar 29, 2008 8:23:22 PM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Before you decide I would look at the Flexi-Jet dtg printer. You have the option of printing white or using double colours instead or if not then you can use just the left channels to print colours and keep distilled water in the right channels. I have the "S" model and am quite happy with it. Support is great on the various forums too.

Old March 29th, 2008 Mar 29, 2008 9:47:46 PM -   #19 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Denise

just to let u know i saw the Anujet at work and was very impressed they gave me 2 shirts that i saw printed, so i could do wash tests, 1 black,1 white so far after 3 washed they r grt still bright if i had the room and money i would go with that machine

Old March 30th, 2008 Mar 30, 2008 4:30:55 PM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Before you decide I would look at the Flexi-Jet dtg printer. You have the option of printing white or using double colours instead or if not then you can use just the left channels to print colours and keep distilled water in the right channels. I have the "S" model and am quite happy with it. Support is great on the various forums too.
Thanks. We will definitely look at that machine too. We need all the input we can get!

Old March 30th, 2008 Mar 30, 2008 4:32:25 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseg
just to let u know i saw the Anujet at work and was very impressed they gave me 2 shirts that i saw printed, so i could do wash tests, 1 black,1 white so far after 3 washed they r grt still bright if i had the room and money i would go with that machine
Thanks for the information. We've been doing "wash" tests too. Our anajet sample came out good. Still trying to decide on all around info. Thanks

Old March 31st, 2008 Mar 31, 2008 8:46:54 AM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

Hey can anyone give me a ball park figure for the DTG printer. I only have a small business but would like to know if they are in the 1000's of dollars or the 100,000's

Cheers

Old March 31st, 2008 Mar 31, 2008 9:52:35 AM -   #23 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

The average printer runs between $15,000 to $21,000. There are some that are much higher and you can also get a couple of printers for a little less. If you want a printer below $10,000, you are probably going to want to look at a refurbished one.

Old March 31st, 2008 Mar 31, 2008 3:54:17 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

cheers, I was worried they'd all be up in the 100,000's so that give me an idea

Old March 31st, 2008 Mar 31, 2008 4:22:40 PM -   #25 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Karen

suppergibbo, there is a few in the classifieds on this site for under 10,000.00. Just click on the left side classified page one and two has some.

Old April 17th, 2008 Apr 17, 2008 4:57:18 AM -   #26 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jeff

I was down at the NBM show in Charlotte, NC last week and was doing research on the Direct to Garment printers. We looked at the following DTG printers, Brother GT-541, the Kiosk, Flexijet, Fast T-Jet and Sawgrass Advantage. I was like a kid in a candy shop.

Though all of them printed the image they provided great (on black and white), here is what came out when they used my image.

On Black Shirt
The Flexijet did a good job on dark colors (maybe an 7.5 out of 10 rating)
The Kiosk did an acceptable job on dark colors (maybe a 6 out of 10 rating, white looked kind of muddy)
The T-Jet people said they were to busy to set up my image on dark.

On White Shirt
The Brother and SG Advantage did a great job on whites and pastels (maybe a 9 out of 10 rating)
The Flexijet, Kiosk and T-Jet did a very good job too (maybe an 8 out of 10 rating)

After speaking with the Sawgrass people about the white ink ready printer, I found out they are testing white ink right now but are not satisfied with the way it feels. They made the printer white ink ready so you can just swapout one set of cartridges when they feel they got the right blend of ink without having to pay an upcharge to convert it. I did see an example of a shirt printed on a black shirt and it looked as good as they others with about the same hand. Sawgrass wants to have a softer feeling dark garment.

In closing I would feel comfortable using anyone of these for light colored garments and I am sure my customers would be happy with it. If my main focus was darks I would consider the Flexijet, or hold out for the SG Advantage. I am sure over the next year or so ink technology will improve for white ink. Good luck in making your selection.

Old April 17th, 2008 Apr 17, 2008 7:22:54 AM -   #27 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice
I was down at the NBM show in Charlotte, NC last week and was doing research on the Direct to Garment printers. We looked at the following DTG printers, Brother GT-541, the Kiosk, Flexijet, Fast T-Jet and Sawgrass Advantage. I was like a kid in a candy shop.

Though all of them printed the image they provided great (on black and white), here is what came out when they used my image.

On Black Shirt
The Flexijet did a good job on dark colors (maybe an 7.5 out of 10 rating)
The Kiosk did an acceptable job on dark colors (maybe a 6 out of 10 rating, white looked kind of muddy)
The T-Jet people said they were to busy to set up my image on dark.

On White Shirt
The Brother and SG Advantage did a great job on whites and pastels (maybe a 9 out of 10 rating)
The Flexijet, Kiosk and T-Jet did a very good job too (maybe an 8 out of 10 rating)

After speaking with the Sawgrass people about the white ink ready printer, I found out they are testing white ink right now but are not satisfied with the way it feels. They made the printer white ink ready so you can just swapout one set of cartridges when they feel they got the right blend of ink without having to pay an upcharge to convert it. I did see an example of a shirt printed on a black shirt and it looked as good as they others with about the same hand. Sawgrass wants to have a softer feeling dark garment.

In closing I would feel comfortable using anyone of these for light colored garments and I am sure my customers would be happy with it. If my main focus was darks I would consider the Flexijet, or hold out for the SG Advantage. I am sure over the next year or so ink technology will improve for white ink. Good luck in making your selection.
Thanks. I really appreciate your in-depth observances. It helps alot. Are you buying one?

Old April 18th, 2008 Apr 18, 2008 3:56:51 AM -   #28 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaynestitches
Thanks. I really appreciate your in-depth observances. It helps alot. Are you buying one?
Yes, I plan on buying one this summer. I want to weigh the pros and cons of the 2 machines that I have narrowed it down to.

Old April 18th, 2008 Apr 18, 2008 5:18:35 PM -   #29 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sunnydayz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: BobbieLee
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,068 Posts

Did you see the HM1 by dtg at the show? That is what machine I have and the prints are really nice, If you havent looked at it you should as it is a really great machine and in my opinion prints better than the kiosk as it is a newer model by dtg.

Old April 21st, 2008 Apr 21, 2008 10:28:55 AM -   #30 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

No, actually the only printer there was Brother. We've decided on that one and can't wait for it to be delivered. Wish it would print white, but I respect that it's not being released until "perfection". We'll do something else until that time - transfers, etc. I think lots of machines are good now, just that people have different situations in their companies. Good luck to you!! Thanks for the response.

This is a discussion about Advantage vs. Brother Garment Printer that was posted in the Sawgrass section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in