[Anajet] Why shouldn't I buy the Anajet - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Direct to Garment (DTG) Inkjet Printing > Ricoh DTG
Discussion, tips, pictures, reviews and peer to peer support for current and future Ricoh DTG owners.
Sponsored by: Ricoh DTG

[Anajet] Why shouldn't I buy the Anajet

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 27th, 2010 Apr 27, 2010 7:19:09 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Why shouldn't I buy the Anajet

Hi all

I'm brand new here and wanted to ask.....I'm all set to purchase the Anajet for dark garments in the next day or so, I've read a fair bit about it now and I'm more or less convinced, can anyone give me good reason NOT to buy it.

Much appreciated.

d

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010 Apr 27, 2010 9:44:40 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Default Re: Why shouldn't I buy the Anajet

I will not tell you why you should not buy one model or another (because only you can determine if a printer will work best for your business model), but will ask you some questions to determine if you have done enough research for you to determine if you know which printer works for your business model.

1. Have you seen the Anajet printer perform everything from start to finish? Getting the printer ready in the morning, going through all the artwork steps using your graphics (both vector and raster), printing the garment, curing the garment, perform the maintenance procedures,...

2. Have you seen any other dtg printer in person and gone through all the steps from start to finish?

3. Have you created a business plan showing that getting into dtg printing is a good move for your business and will provide you the ROI in the desired timeframe?

4. Have you created a list of the pros and cons of each dtg printer that is available in your market? Not all printers are available in all the geographical markets.

5. How comfortable are you with the level of training and ongoing support you will receive from the different dtg manufacturers?

If you have not gone through all the questions in detail, then I would say you are not really ready to purchase any dtg printer. This is a significant purchase and doing some upfront due dilligence can be the difference from making good money and wasting a large amount of money. Not every business will make money with dtg printing.

Hope this helps you through your decision process.

Mark

The Following User Says Thank You to DAGuide For This Useful Post:
baddjun1 (April 27th, 2010)
Old April 27th, 2010 Apr 27, 2010 11:58:44 AM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

As usual Mark has provided some valuable suggestions. The question is not why shouldn't buy the anajet, but why should you buy ANY dtg printer.
Do a very simple spread sheet...the number of shirts you think you will sell a week or month. Figure your profit per shirt then figure how many shirts you must sell to recover just the initial investiment. then figure how long that will take.

From my experience in just being around this biz for about 9 years...most who buy a drg and do not have a store front, usually end up either selling it or just returning it. To incur a 20k debt is a huge hurdle for a home based business where customers cannot drop by.

So be very careful in the purchase/lease and make sure you have the funds to support the purchase for at least 6 months to a year without profit.

JMHO

Old April 27th, 2010 Apr 27, 2010 12:44:24 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,637 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles95405
As usual Mark has provided some valuable suggestions. The question is not why shouldn't buy the anajet, but why should you buy ANY dtg printer.
Just to clarify something, I am not against dtg printing. In fact, I am a big proponent of it for the companies. I have several consulting clients and know hundreds of more apparel decorators that have a dtg printer, find that it is beneficial for their shop and have gotten the ROI they expected out of it. Not all of them have store fronts when they got the printer and some still don't. But it must match your business model. No one (including a sales rep) but the business owner will be able to state that buying a dtg printer is good or not good for your business without doing an indept analysis of your business. The sales reps are not going to do this study for you - it is not their job. It is the responsibility of the shop owner.

All my post above about is making sure that the original poster has done his/her's research on making sure whatever dtg printer is the right move for their business. No one should under-estimate the power of a dtg printer can bring to a shop to get several other types of jobs - where you can make additional money, but you would might not had the chance to do so without owning the dtg printer.

Best wishes in the future,

Mark

Old April 27th, 2010 Apr 27, 2010 12:53:15 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGuide
All my post above about is making sure that the original poster has done his/her's research on making sure whatever dtg printer is the right move for their business. No one should under-estimate the power of a dtg printer can bring to a shop to get several other types of jobs - where you can make additional money, but you would might not had the chance to do so without owning the dtg printer.
Not to butt in......but to prove Mark's point, we had several new clients that we did prototype t-shirts for to help generate sales, one of the clients was so impressed with the shirts that during the conversation he asked what else we did....which let to a couple cases of dye-sub mugs we just delivered last week.

Yeah, maybe if we went in trying to sell mugs we would have made a order, but the DTG got us in the door.

Hope this helps.

Old April 27th, 2010 Apr 27, 2010 3:27:29 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamm
Hi all

I'm brand new here and wanted to ask.....I'm all set to purchase the Anajet for dark garments in the next day or so, I've read a fair bit about it now and I'm more or less convinced, can anyone give me good reason NOT to buy it.

Much appreciated.

d
Hi d,

I've had my Anajet for over a year now, and you should definitely pay heed to the comments below. I assume you are looking at the Anajet because you would like to be able to print on dark garments. And there in lies the rub. Any DTG printer that uses white ink is going to be maintenance intensive. And from my experience, those that experience the least amount of problems with white ink are one of two types. Either they are printing everyday and are "anal retentive" about cleaning regularly, or they print white, then flush all the white lines with cleaning fluid to avoid issues. Although it is great for doing prototypes, prototypes won't make your payments. Make sure you have a plan. Most consumers only want to pay silkscreen prices for DTG and quite frankly you'll be lucky if you can sell your shirts for twice what screening would have cost. And remember, there's no economy of scale for DTG, your printing one shirt at a time whether it's 10 or 1000. So it's hard to compete for larger orders. You need to determine if you can get the price you need at the volume you need to make a profit. Need any more info, feel free to PM me.

Old April 28th, 2010 Apr 28, 2010 3:21:19 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Hi all

Thanks heaps for your input and comments, they're much appreciated. Let me tell you guys where I'm at.
I run an online t-shirt label and we are trading very well for 6 years now with our own brand and designs, due to a sharp downturn in the economy 4 screen printers have called it a day in my locality. Hence there is a market available for us to move into in corporate t-shirt printing. Most importantly short runs i.e 25-50 shirts. My thinking was a DTG and any research I have done has favored the Anajet. Currently we use poly transfers that we outsource and we also use digital transfers from our Mimaki CJV which is very good but limited in it's capabilities as it's still print and weed technology.
I hope all of this has helped you understand where we are at. The market is strong and I don't have any issued with paying off the machine it's the reliability that is my issue.

thanks
D

Old April 28th, 2010 Apr 28, 2010 5:37:01 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by djamm
Hi all

Thanks heaps for your input and comments, they're much appreciated. Let me tell you guys where I'm at.
I run an online t-shirt label and we are trading very well for 6 years now with our own brand and designs, due to a sharp downturn in the economy 4 screen printers have called it a day in my locality. Hence there is a market available for us to move into in corporate t-shirt printing. Most importantly short runs i.e 25-50 shirts. My thinking was a DTG and any research I have done has favored the Anajet. Currently we use poly transfers that we outsource and we also use digital transfers from our Mimaki CJV which is very good but limited in it's capabilities as it's still print and weed technology.
I hope all of this has helped you understand where we are at. The market is strong and I don't have any issued with paying off the machine it's the reliability that is my issue.

thanks
D

Others won't say good or bad but I will.

I have an Anajet FP-125 that is sitting because it is not reliable. The machine was cleaned regularly, printed with daily and I have stacks of bills to show the parts I replaced and kept on hand to make sure it always had what it needed.

With all that effort the Anajet still did not perform as needed. The worst issue was with the printer just up and stopping in the middle of a print due to the white ink coverage being too dense and triggering a mandatory head clean. Not only do you lose the shirt but you waste all the time and material to get a print maybe 2/3s of the way done.

Before shelving it, Anajet's response was "We know that is an issue, try printing less white ink." Can I tell you how well that goes over with the client who's shirt order I'm trying to print?

I'm sure there are excellent Epson/Dupont printer systems out there but I wouldn't list the Anajet as one of them.

charles95405 is absolutely correct in saying that a 20k investment gone bad is a huge setback for a home-based or small business. It just about killed us if not for our other lines of income (embroidery, vinyl, DTG with a different machine). We still struggle today trying to figure out how we get out of this hole with the lease on the machine. I have a hard time selling it in good conscience since I know it will fail; the overall design of it seems inclined to do so as I have never heard back from Anajet about a fix for "printing too much white ink".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raise For This Useful Post:
djamm (April 28th, 2010), IYFGraphics (April 28th, 2010)
Old April 28th, 2010 Apr 28, 2010 5:49:07 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raise
Others won't say good or bad but I will.

I have an Anajet FP-125 that is sitting because it is not reliable. The machine was cleaned regularly, printed with daily and I have stacks of bills to show the parts I replaced and kept on hand to make sure it always had what it needed.

With all that effort the Anajet still did not perform as needed. The worst issue was with the printer just up and stopping in the middle of a print due to the white ink coverage being too dense and triggering a mandatory head clean. Not only do you lose the shirt but you waste all the time and material to get a print maybe 2/3s of the way done.

Before shelving it, Anajet's response was "We know that is an issue, try printing less white ink." Can I tell you how well that goes over with the client who's shirt order I'm trying to print?

I'm sure there are excellent Epson/Dupont printer systems out there but I wouldn't list the Anajet as one of them.

charles95405 is absolutely correct in saying that a 20k investment gone bad is a huge setback for a home-based or small business. It just about killed us if not for our other lines of income (embroidery, vinyl, DTG with a different machine). We still struggle today trying to figure out how we get out of this hole with the lease on the machine. I have a hard time selling it in good conscience since I know it will fail; the overall design of it seems inclined to do so as I have never heard back from Anajet about a fix for "printing too much white ink".
Hey Raise

I really appreciate your honesty, it's given me real food for thought. Nice one.

Thanks
D

Old April 28th, 2010 Apr 28, 2010 7:47:22 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

After doing as much research as we could and then checking out the printers on our short list, we chose the Veloci-Jet. The prints are outstanding, the maintenance only takes about 10-15 minutes per day ( we are anal about it) and the customer support after the sale is even better than before putting down the money. If you have not finalized your decision and have not looked at Veloci-Jet, I suggest you do.

Old April 29th, 2010 Apr 29, 2010 10:49:26 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I do agree, I recently bought a Veloci Jet and love it. I have had every thing from the original Tjet (red machine) I had 3 of them, T-Jet2's 2 of them, the T-Jet 3 and A balazer Express. I have found the Veloci Jet to be a very good machine, prints are awesome and the print speed is great. I have not used a machine yet that prints white as well as this machine does in one pass In fairness I have not used an Anajet machine but have spoke to many people that have had them and did not like them at all

Old April 30th, 2010 Apr 30, 2010 12:12:11 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmark
I do agree, I recently bought a Veloci Jet and love it. I have had every thing from the original Tjet (red machine) I had 3 of them, T-Jet2's 2 of them, the T-Jet 3 and A balazer Express. I have found the Veloci Jet to be a very good machine, prints are awesome and the print speed is great. I have not used a machine yet that prints white as well as this machine does in one pass In fairness I have not used an Anajet machine but have spoke to many people that have had them and did not like them at all
I guesss I should have mentioned it at the start but it's the Anajet Sprint I'm looking to purchase not the FT 125 if that makes any difference. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with the Sprint

d

Old April 30th, 2010 Apr 30, 2010 9:27:07 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Don

I bought an Anajet Sprint and it is sittting waiting to be sold or junked. I too can show the bills for parts that failed and which Analet will not waranty, printed 32 shirts and had to replace the white ink lines, no help from Anajet. 250 shirts bad head no help from Anajet. The machine auto mait program is terrible, once printed 22 shirts had 89 cleanings, Anajet comes out with a firmware revision but wants $150, thier problem but no help. I convinced that in the 40 years I have been in business this is the biggest piece of junk I ever bought and the worst service in the history of the business. I also own a Brother GT-541 and have 70,000 prints and still going strong. I think I will go to the next SGIA show and hold a sign at the Anajet booth that says BUYER BEWARE!.

Old April 30th, 2010 Apr 30, 2010 11:33:37 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

It is a shame that companies do not stand behind there machines any better than they do. I have had many phone calls and folks coming to my shop and complaining about the anajet machines as well as there service and support. I actually had someone a few years back come to the shop I showed him how to run the Tjet 2 pretreat shirts the whole nine yards he spent all day at my shop printing stuff. He went back home I believe to South Alabama some where and bought an Anajet versus the t-2 3 weeks later he called complaining about there machine and support ended up suing and giving the machine back

Old April 30th, 2010 Apr 30, 2010 11:39:54 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

I will say Harry and the Equipment Zone stand behind there machines 100%. I got my machine 3 weeks ago and have had no problems until I broke off a machined piece on the bed that hold the shirt boards in place, Yep had my head up and broke it off. Called euipment zone and spke with Harry directly 10 minutes later I got a call from Brian Hallett and a replacement was sent out next day air. This was not an issue with the machine but my fault yet they over nighted me a replacement, if that is not service I do not know what is.

This is a discussion about Why shouldn't I buy the Anajet that was posted in the Ricoh DTG section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in