T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Rhinestone Decoration

Rhinestone Category Sponsor

Discuss the different methods of adding some bling to your designs. Rhinestone and rhinestud transfers, templates, equipment, software and supplies are inlcuded in this forum.

How do they do that?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By webtrekker
  • 2 Post By BikerBill

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 15th, 2019 Mar 15, 2019 6:24:45 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question How do they do that?

Hi again everyone,

As I said in the last post I made here, I do biker stuff. Few days ago I went to the Daytona Beach bike week rally. It's huge, over 500,000 bikers! They have tons and tons of big tent vendors selling thousands of different kinds of shirts and apparel.

Lady biker shirts with designs and rhinestones are very popular. Now that I have starting to do rhinestones I really looked them over good. One thing I noticed is that many of the lady shirts were nice with several screen print designs on the front, back and sleeves.

Then on top of those designs were matching rhinestone patterns, again on the front, back and even sleeves and around the neck. Making one shirt like that would take me 20 minutes using 6-8 designs. Yet they still were selling them for around 18 bucks!!

How the heck can they make shirts with so many designs and rhinestones for so cheap? Each tent had thousands of shirts all over. Do they get made in China with big machines that churn them out like that? No way I could make a shirt like that without charging 40 bucks or so. Your thought?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2019 Mar 15, 2019 10:11:45 AM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,227 Times in 999 Posts

Default Re: How do they do that?

They are sourced in places where labor is cheap. They may also be printed prior to construction.

Old March 15th, 2019 Mar 15, 2019 4:53:38 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Yeah I do think they are bought pre-made. It's a bit depressing to see so much merchandise for sale. I mean, I could put everything I have built up in inventory over the last 10 years in one small corner of one of those tents.

Plus each vendor company has 4-8 tents all over the town and there are 5 or more companies. They set up all across the USA all year long at dozens of biker shows each year.

You see shirts that have fallen in the dirt getting stepped on, people scuffing up jackets they put on and so on. After each event they must throw away much more new merchandise than everything I have! Really puts my little tiny biz in perspective.

Old March 16th, 2019 Mar 16, 2019 2:20:20 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hi Bill. I'm not a biker, I don't sell shirts, and I don't do rhinestones!

However, I feel for you here. I make and sell products such as mugs for which competition is also fierce and dominated by the big, cheap guys. The only edge I've found is to PERSONALISE my items, something that the big boys tend to stay away from when stacking 'em high and selling' em cheap.

I realise this is difficult (but not impossible) to do at an event, but would give your products a unique selling point and you could command a higher price, which many folk seeking personalised items are prepared to pay, resulting in decent profits for fewer items.
into the T likes this.

Old March 16th, 2019 Mar 16, 2019 8:45:26 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

to add to webtrekker's advice,
create your own unique artwork/designs that can be found nowhere else

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 12:01:15 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks for all the replies, I did not get notified of the last few so just seeing this. Yeah custom designs and so on is the way to go when you can't compete with the big boys.

I have a unique retro brown buffalo hide leather vest made just for me and I can't keep it in stock. I'm adding it in a tall size too, which I am sure will sell out. Plus I'm making my own stone washed denim biker shirts and vest.

Designs I have a hard time coming up with as I have zero artistic abilities. But maybe if I can make unique clothing to put the normal designs on I can sell a lot that way as nobody else will have them. Thanks again everyone!

This is a discussion about How do they do that? that was posted in the Rhinestone Decoration section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in