T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Rhinestone Decoration

Rhinestone Category Sponsor

Discuss the different methods of adding some bling to your designs. Rhinestone and rhinestud transfers, templates, equipment, software and supplies are inlcuded in this forum.

Stones fall off after one wash

Like Tree11Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 11:55:30 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Stones fall off after one wash

So as a newbie to rhinestones I'm still figuring out how to do it. I heat pressed a bunch of different designs and had good luck getting the designs to press out well.

However for the first time I put two shirts in the wash. One came out perfect, even with designs on both sides of the shirt. The other one however had 2 wings designs. 4-8 stones came off each pair.

I pressed at 350F for 15 seconds on medium-high pressure. Then rubbed the designs with a cloth very good. About a minute later I peeled off the tape. Then I put parchment paper over it and pressed again for 10 seconds.

I did the last step as I thought it would help to seat the stones after peeling, which pulls on the stones a bit. Not sure what to do? The stones that are still on the shirts seem very secure, can't pull them off.

Did I burn the glue doing too much pressing? Does a too high pressure press out too much glue? Just trying to fine tune what I should do. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 12:56:06 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,227 Times in 999 Posts

Default Re: Stones fall off after one wash

1) Are they Korean Stones?
2) You don't need to repress
3) Wash inside out cold, low heat in the dryer but we recommend hand wash, line dry

The Following User Says Thank You to binki For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (February 12th, 2019)
Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 1:01:56 PM -   #3 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,185 Times in 1,105 Posts

Bill. I would recommend NOT doing the second 10 second press. There is no need and it might dry out the glue. Also, could be the quality of the stones. Always difficult pinpoint the cause.
Amw likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to proworlded For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (February 12th, 2019)

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 1:05:42 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
1) Are they Korean Stones?
2) You don't need to repress
3) Wash inside out cold, low heat in the dryer but we recommend hand wash, line dry
Hi there.

1. I have no idea where the stones are made, I buy them already made as a transfer design. I think they are made in China.

2. No re-press? Okay thanks.

3. You and I know that, but customers will wash them in warm or hot water and even put them in the hot dryer. Even if you include directions.

Thank you for your help.

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 1:08:58 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by proworlded
Bill. I would recommend NOT doing the second 10 second press. There is no need and it might dry out the glue. Also, could be the quality of the stones. Always difficult pinpoint the cause.
Hi. Okay maybe I am doing too much pressing. Will cut out the 2nd press and see how it works. I don't think the stones are the best, but the company does their own decorating with their own clothing line, so they should be pretty good. Maybe I just need more practice. Thank you.

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 4:07:29 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Thanked 1,227 Times in 999 Posts

Ask them. If they are Korean they will last longer than the Chinese stones.
Amw likes this.

Old February 12th, 2019 Feb 12, 2019 4:16:08 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
Ask them. If they are Korean they will last longer than the Chinese stones.
Okay will do. Thank you.

Old February 13th, 2019 Feb 13, 2019 7:30:03 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

350* seems a bit high to me, and, like others have said no need to repress. I press mine at 320* for 15 seconds

Old February 13th, 2019 Feb 13, 2019 7:35:51 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfatty500
350* seems a bit high to me, and, like others have said no need to repress. I press mine at 320* for 15 seconds
Thanks. I will cut up some of the designs and do some testing today. I may be using too much heat and pressing time, burning up and vaporizing the glue.
mfatty500 likes this.

Old February 16th, 2019 Feb 16, 2019 7:30:12 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mark

Top Potential Issues:

1) Quality of the glue on your stones
- Korean stones are better than Chinese - ask your vendor where their stones are manufactured. Hint, "Korean Quality" does not necessarily mean they were manufactured in Korea.
- Before placing your transfer on the shirt, turn it over and look at the glue on the back side. In general, does the glue look like it's adhered well to the stones or is some of it peeling away from the stones?

2) Consistency of the glue on your stones
- In the manufacturing process, some stones don't get as much glue as others and some not at all. Before placing your transfer on the shirt, turn it over and look at the back side to ensure all stones have glue. Replace the stones that have light or no coverage.

3) Consistent time, temp and pressure
- We heat the press to 340 degrees then pre-press the garment for at least 5 seconds to remove moisture then press for 17-20 seconds at Medium pressure then cold peel. Everyone has their own opinion on time, temp and pressure -- you should contact your transfer supplier to confirm their recommended process for application as a starting point.
- If you have different size stones within the design, you may want to consider using a heat press pillow to help ensure even pressure across the design. If the stones are falling off in the same general area of the design on each shirt this could be your problem.
- We also use a heat probe to test various points on our heat platen every so often to ensure even heat.
into the T likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to YourLogoGear For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (February 16th, 2019)
Old February 16th, 2019 Feb 16, 2019 7:46:48 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourLogoGear
Top Potential Issues:

1) Quality of the glue on your stones
- Korean stones are better than Chinese - ask your vendor where their stones are manufactured. Hint, "Korean Quality" does not necessarily mean they were manufactured in Korea.
- Before placing your transfer on the shirt, turn it over and look at the glue on the back side. In general, does the glue look like it's adhered well to the stones or is some of it peeling away from the stones?

2) Consistency of the glue on your stones
- In the manufacturing process, some stones don't get as much glue as others and some not at all. Before placing your transfer on the shirt, turn it over and look at the back side to ensure all stones have glue. Replace the stones that have light or no coverage.

3) Consistent time, temp and pressure
- We heat the press to 340 degrees then pre-press the garment for at least 5 seconds to remove moisture then press for 17-20 seconds at Medium pressure then cold peel. Everyone has their own opinion on time, temp and pressure -- you should contact your transfer supplier to confirm their recommended process for application as a starting point.
- If you have different size stones within the design, you may want to consider using a heat press pillow to help ensure even pressure across the design. If the stones are falling off in the same general area of the design on each shirt this could be your problem.
- We also use a heat probe to test various points on our heat platen every so often to ensure even heat.
Thank you for your detailed advice. Funny you mention about looking at the glue. I have been, and they don't look like glue at all. They all have black plastic looking "caps" on the back of them. That must be some sort of black plastic formed glue. Not what I expected to see.

I do have designs that have many different sizes of stones, as well as tacks and "bars" on them. They look great, they are motorcycle biker designs so they make the motorcycle with a combo of stones and sliver tack looking things and bars.

Yesterday I took apart 8 wing sets and tried different ways of pressing them. 350F, 340F and 330F. All around medium-high pressure. Some I peeled warm, others cold. Some I pressed again, others not. All at 15 seconds of press time.

I even did one that i turned inside out after the first press and pressed the other side too. At least not a single stone came off on the tape while peeling. I actually have them all in the wash right now. Will let you know how they come out in a few hours. Thanks again.

Old February 16th, 2019 Feb 16, 2019 8:10:23 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mark

OK so the design has a mixture of glass rhinestones and metal rhinestuds and possibly nailheads in various shapes and sizes? Uggh...that's definitely a tricky one...newbie or not!

Old February 16th, 2019 Feb 16, 2019 8:32:57 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourLogoGear
OK so the design has a mixture of glass rhinestones and metal rhinestuds and possibly nailheads in various shapes and sizes? Uggh...that's definitely a tricky one...newbie or not!
Well no, not the ones I have washed so far, but most do. The test design I have done is a normal "wings" design with all stones the same size. I just took them out of the wash. I did 8 different test wings. BTW the wash was warm water, medium wash. I did turn the shirts inside out. So the results are,,,,,,

Very mixed. Out of the eight, 5 all had 2-3 stones come off. They are always stones deep in the design, never an outside edge one. The 3 that had no stones come off was:

One I did at 350F, warm peel, 5 sec. repress with parchment paper. But the other one was at 340F, warm peel, 2nd re-press. Then the 3rd one was 340F, cold peel. No re-press.

The first time I washed any I washed a shirt that had two different designs on it that are not the "wings" design. They came out perfect the 1st time. I washed it again with the others and again both designs came out perfect, no stones missing.

So, it could be the design, I have no idea. The only difference with the shirt that had perfect designs was it was a pink shirt, the others are black shirts. Frustrating.

I do think I will keep the temp down to 340F. But as for re-pressing or warm and cold peel my test is mixed on that. Og course one test wash does not confirm anything. I will keep trying to figure it out.

Old February 16th, 2019 Feb 16, 2019 9:46:18 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

maybe try ordering some stones form trw or here

simply make little squares of stones and press them for trialing
then if you get good results you know it is not you or your technique but the stones themselves

The Following User Says Thank You to into the T For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (February 16th, 2019)
Old February 16th, 2019 Feb 16, 2019 10:13:50 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Where are the shirts from? Sounds like the quality of stones to me, I have pressed thousands of rhinestone designs . And I can honestly say that any have fallen off. But I made all of mine, the stones were from Shineart
into the T likes this.

This is a discussion about Stones fall off after one wash that was posted in the Rhinestone Decoration section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in