T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Rhinestone Decoration

Rhinestone Category Sponsor

Discuss the different methods of adding some bling to your designs. Rhinestone and rhinestud transfers, templates, equipment, software and supplies are inlcuded in this forum.

Rhinestone newbie with 2 questions

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2019 Feb 1, 2019 3:10:34 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Rhinestone newbie with 2 questions

Hi everyone. I've been heat pressing screenprint transfers for around 5 years. I just got some beautiful custom Daytona bike week rhinestone designs. I've pretty much never pressed stones before so I got two quick questions.

I bought batches of each design so they came with bags of spare stones. I see some designs have a stone or two missing; they are very elaborate designs. I know the heat, time and pressure settings. My two questions are:

1. I assume the spare stones should already have the glue or whatever they use to hold them on them correct?

2. If I press a new design, then want to add a missing stone, do I simply place the stone where it needs to be, then press the whole design again with a Teflon sheet or parchment paper over it?

Sorry if those are stupid questions. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2019 Feb 1, 2019 3:34:54 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: Rhinestone newbie with 2 questions

In a nut shell Bill, yes just press as you would normally and you'll be good to go. Have you ever tried Spangles? They are smooth & just as shiny as a rhinestone, very lightweight. They out sell my rhinestone decorated apparel 10 to 1. But it helps that I push them more than stones.

The Following User Says Thank You to mfatty500 For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (February 1st, 2019)
Old February 1st, 2019 Feb 1, 2019 3:43:48 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfatty500
In a nut shell Bill, yes just press as you would normally and you'll be good to go. Have you ever tried Spangles? They are smooth & just as shiny as a rhinestone, very lightweight. They out sell my rhinestone decorated apparel 10 to 1. But it helps that I push them more than stones.
Thank you, I think you tried to help me a long time ago when I bought some bead designs that did not work. I'm just learning everything right now. I just thought of something else in regards to my 2nd question however.

If I know a design is missing a stone or two BEFORE I press the design, then the best way to fix it is to peel the backing off, lay the design upside down, then use the loose stones I have and place them in place, since the top clear sheet is sticky and will hold them.

THEN put the design in place and press it all, correct? I don't know why but I just thought of that. Correct me if somehow that is not the right way to do it. As to the other way thank you, now I know I can do that too.

Old February 1st, 2019 Feb 1, 2019 6:20:11 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You sure can do it that way, or place your loose stone on a leftover piece of transfer tape and place it where it is needed also. Remember, that the transfer tape MAY (depending, if it got wrinkled up or not) be used over if need be.

The Following User Says Thank You to mfatty500 For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (February 1st, 2019)
Old February 2nd, 2019 Feb 2, 2019 11:39:59 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Well today I heat pressed all 9 designs I got. They are all very detailed designs; multicolored wings, motorcycles with flames and wings, writing and so on. Very large too, like 14 inches long by 10 inches wide.

I put the heat press at 355 F, medium to high pressure, for 15 seconds with a Teflon sheet over it. Then I pressed over the design with a cloth to set the stones. Waited about a minute, then slowly peeled off the clear tape.

I have no idea if slowly pulling it off or fast is better? Anyways they all came out great except for one that had 2 stones come off on the tape. I also re-pressed them with parchment paper over it for 10 seconds to really seat them, not sure if that is good idea, bad or does nothing?

I see that because the tape is sticky I need to really make sure the design is just about exactly where it should be before I let it sit on the shirt. I can move it after but it's hard. Newbie thing I'm sure.

I also put a loose stone in place on one and re-pressed with good result. However with my eyesight not as good now and shaky hands I hope I don't have to do that often.

Is it always better to peel colder rather than warmer? I assume the more you wait the better the glue is drying to hold the stones in place. But I'm not sure if also it makes the stones stick more to the tape?

Anyways not bad for my first time. I think they will work out well and I must say they look fantastic. Hard to take pictures that really show off the beauty of them however. Maybe I'll do some videos. Thanks again.

Old February 2nd, 2019 Feb 2, 2019 11:53:05 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Glad to hear it was a success Bill, you can peel them when a little warm or wait until they cool, I tend to do mine a little on the warm side. Keep on 'stoning!

This is a discussion about Rhinestone newbie with 2 questions that was posted in the Rhinestone Decoration section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in