T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Rhinestone Decoration

Rhinestone Category Sponsor

Discuss the different methods of adding some bling to your designs. Rhinestone and rhinestud transfers, templates, equipment, software and supplies are inlcuded in this forum.

10 k for start up?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 4:39:25 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Callie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default 10 k for start up?

I am new here. I have lurked for a while but never posted. I am wanting to start a small business. I have a friend that owns a dance studio and I am sure a lot of my initial client base will come from her. I had seriously looked into the Camms but I am not sure I want to sink that much in it. I am thinking about 10 k for start up. I have no desire to finance anything.
What machines would you recommend and why? TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 5:12:50 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default Re: 10 k for start up?

Hi Callie!

The set up cost can range from a small amount to 40k plus depending which direction you want to go.

#1. You don't have to buy equipment to make templates. You can pay companies to make templates for you.

#2. If you want your own equipment, you will have to decide if you want to get an engraver, vinyl cutter, robotic arm, rhinestone placer, etc..... Cutters begin in the hundreds. Engravers are in the thousands and robotic machines can be the most expensive.

#3. You don't have to worry about templates or rhinestone equipment if you hire a company to make rhinestone transfers for you.

#4.

I just ran out of time! There are many ways to get into a rhinestone system for much less than 10k even if you want to own all the equipment and do all the work yourself.

Got to run...

Brian : )

Last edited by My Shirt Connect; April 17th, 2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 6:00:27 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Eric

10k is a really nice chunk of change to have to invest.Id start with a cutter and software and cut your own templates.but if you want an auto setter there are a few options out there besides the camms.Just remeber there is alot more to doing and selling rhinestones then just your equiptment.Trust me.There are so many things to consider.What ever you decide try to keep it simple.Many times you might start in one direction and make business decisions that turn you in another direction,before you know it your doing "cirlces" like the rest of us.Alot of stoners in this section like to experiment with different software and equiptment.Alot of R&D(rhinestone and developement).yes I just made that up.where is my copyright button?lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leg cramps For This Useful Post:
Amandazon247 (April 18th, 2011), DivineBling (April 17th, 2011)

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 6:17:58 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg cramps
Many times you might start in one direction and make business decisions that turn you in another direction
OK, I made it back....

LOL Eric!!

If I would of know where we would end up, My Shirt Connection would of been called My Rhinestone Connection : )

For a guy that doesn't like to wear pink, I am very surprised to be in this line of business and love it!

Brian : )

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 6:24:50 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Thanks for the info guys! I have 2 girls so honestly making bling for them is a big part of it. My youngest wears custom clothing pretty much entirely so being able to make her tees is a huge plus for me. I really want to be able to do my own stuff. I want to make some things for my personal use (not for sale) that are licensed and I probably could not get someone else to do them for me.
I am not sure if I am better off getting a cutter or an engraver. I am planning multi color designs but I can deal with he extra leg work they require.

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 6:34:03 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

No kidding,Girls love bling.I personally like it when they ask me if I can rhinestone thier panties.I just grin and shake my head and say yes I can.I also like the fact that I can hand pick my models.Ive have done construction work,I can hang with the best of the alpha male population.I have served my country.I have worked in manufacturing.But nothing was as much fun as working with women.Now dont get me wrong,I work with male customers but they are usually buying women the product.There are quite a few men that are stoners.power to the stoners!

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 6:36:58 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Cutter....IMO way cheaper and cleaner and easier....not even something id consider.you can get them cheap and youd be surprised the great work you can accomplish with them.Talk to sandymcc.shes a forum member and helped alot of us out with these desicions.

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 7:55:19 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Stephanie
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

For what you're talking about using it for, you don't need a laser engraver. A vinyl cutter would be plenty for you.

10k is a really good amount of money to start up with. You can get really good equipment for that.
I would look at a cutter with a servo motor such as the GCC Bengal, GCC Puma, or Roland GX-24. I started out with a cheap cutter with a stepper motor and grew out of it within a month or two.

You also need rhinestone software. There are a bunch you should check out and ask around for people's opinions. Ask why they like what they're using and what else they've tried.

Then you will need a heat press. This is another area where, if you can afford it, you should go with a good quality press. I started out with a 15x15 Sunie heat press and like the cutter, grew out of it within a month. I got the larger 16x24 press from Sunie and after pressing some big jobs, am having aches and pains in my neck and shoulders. I'm now getting an auto open Hotronix press from Imprintables. If I had the money from the start and had done my homework, I would have started with an auto open press because I press each shirt 3 times (once to get the moisture out before applying the transfer, once with the transfer, and once for a few seconds after peeling the transfer tape). When pressing shirts for a few days for an order for over 150 shirts, it really starts to wear on my neck.

Then you will need the rest of the money to invest in your first several jobs, samples, etc. You will need to buy rhinestones, template material, shirts, supplies, etc. It's a lot in the beginning, but now I keep most colors and sizes in stock and only have to replace what I use up, which is not all at once like in the beginning! I tried to only buy a few colors and sizes, but late at night when I was designing and cutting templates, I would want to hurry up and make a shirt and if I didn't have the size and colors I wanted to use, I had to wait which sucked. My daughter asked me to make her a shirt to wear to her birthday party last weekend and I whipped it up about 20 minutes before we had to leave for her party! I didn't even know what I was going to do with it or what colors I was going to use until after I had designed it and found a shirt in my inventory closet! It was nice to have a big selection to choose from.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want me to elaborate on anything!

Stephanie

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 8:16:26 PM -   #9 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 1,016 Posts

vinyl cutter and heat press and you can do shirts, banners, plastisol transfers, sports uniforms, and so on. for about $2K you will be all hooked up.

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 8:48:24 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Wow lots of info thanks! I guess I should mention I am wanting to use a lot more rhinestuds than rhinestones. Are those compatible with a cutter? I assume they are?

Old April 17th, 2011 Apr 17, 2011 8:53:54 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Stephanie
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecameron8
Wow lots of info thanks! I guess I should mention I am wanting to use a lot more rhinestuds than rhinestones. Are those compatible with a cutter? I assume they are?
Yes, you will still be cutting holes in your template material whether you're using rhinestones or rhinestuds. Then you'll brush them into the template that you've cut.
And you're very welcome!
Wishing you the best in your new venture!

Stephanie

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

This is a discussion about 10 k for start up? that was posted in the Rhinestone Decoration section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in