T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Rhinestone Decoration

Rhinestone Category Sponsor

Discuss the different methods of adding some bling to your designs. Rhinestone and rhinestud transfers, templates, equipment, software and supplies are inlcuded in this forum.

Rhinestone Decals - Materials & Instructions

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old July 12th, 2010 Jul 12, 2010 10:46:55 AM -   #46 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rhinestone Decals - Materials & Instructions

I do as you have suggested Sandy and spray the mat with the Krylon spray adhesive first before putting down my template material but my mat now has quite a bit of sticky adhesive build up on it as do some of the pinch rollers. Is there anything that you have found to safely clean the adhesive off the mat or the rollers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2010 Jul 12, 2010 1:17:46 PM -   #47 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

SandyMcC's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Sandy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanked 1,117 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlingItOn
I do as you have suggested Sandy and spray the mat with the Krylon spray adhesive first before putting down my template material but my mat now has quite a bit of sticky adhesive build up on it as do some of the pinch rollers. Is there anything that you have found to safely clean the adhesive off the mat or the rollers?
You can clean your rollers with either Undu or isopropyl alcohol. To keep your rollers from picking up the Krylon, place strips of scrap paper on the mat in the locations where they will be traveling. Or you can apply a small amount of silicon grease to the wheels and that will keep them from picking up the adhesive in the first place.

As for the mat... I don't worry about it having an adhesive build up.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SandyMcC For This Useful Post:
BlingItOn (July 12th, 2010), Boomerbabe (July 13th, 2010), Leg cramps (July 18th, 2010)
Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 4:27:53 AM -   #48 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: slick
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanked 1,039 Times in 551 Posts

I agree with Sandy on the template material. I too have used the Hartco, the black DAS, and the black material sold by ACS. My initial response to the black ACS material was that I hated it. It is VERY sticky and is harder to cut. However, it is sturdier and allows closer placement of the stones, as well as the smooth surface allow the stones to slide easier. I can get it to cut successfully by making two cutting passes on my designs.

The DAS black material in my opinion is by far the BEST material for ease of weeding. It also seems to be a little sturdier than the Hartco, so again stones can go closer without as much fear of tearing when trying to weed. I use this when making templates for sale because it just looks better.

The Hartco is my material of choice for my everyday work. It's economical, $35 dollars a roll @ JSI Sign, and I can get it in 20" width @ Sign Warehouse for my larger designs. I have gotten my cutter set just perfectly where I get about 95% weeding on the first pull by removing from the backing and placing on a plastic sheet or a piece of the mylar backing from the DAS material. What I have found out recently, is that the adhesive on this will ooze in the heat (my storage space is not air conditioned and it has been HOT lately). So Sandy's powder trick has become quite useful. When I pull a template out of storage, I first dust it with powder, just some dollar stor talc, wipe off the excess and get to work. NO STUCK STONES

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allhamps For This Useful Post:
ashamutt (July 13th, 2010), SandyMcC (July 13th, 2010), vgary (July 13th, 2010)

Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 6:53:19 AM -   #49 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Julie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much to everyone for sharing your findings with the rest of us. I've ordered some decal film from Matt at Rhinestone World and am SO excited to get started making decals!

Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 7:14:45 AM -   #50 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Matt

Ms Bacon and Cybersultan have been kind enough to send me a few samples of each for testing. I will post once I test all of the template material and let you know which one we prefer or works best for us. Keep up the great posts. Glad everyone is learning and between everyone here sharing their information we will find the perfect method, best supplies, and least expensive quality materials.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDecalWorld For This Useful Post:
Boomerbabe (July 14th, 2010), CyberSultan (July 13th, 2010), Eview1 (July 14th, 2010)
Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 10:18:09 AM -   #51 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecalWorld
Ms Bacon and Cybersultan have been kind enough to send me a few samples of each for testing. I will post once I test all of the template material and let you know which one we prefer or works best for us. Keep up the great posts. Glad everyone is learning and between everyone here sharing their information we will find the perfect method, best supplies, and least expensive quality materials.
What about the hartco 930 EQUALIZER material? does anyone have/use it and any opinions. or a piece they can send to Matt to try with the other types?

Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 11:54:09 AM -   #52 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I am willing to test out anything that people want tested. I am trying anything and everything for the materials in the process. SandyMcc is sending me a template material to try as well. Thanks Sandy! I will post once everything is test and my findings on the materials.

Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 12:17:08 PM -   #53 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: slick
Thanked 1,039 Times in 551 Posts

I have a question about the XPEL value film: Since it is designed as a "paint protection" film, does this mean the decals made with this film can be placed anywhere on a vehicle, including a painted surface? I believe the DAS material is strictly recommended for windows.

Old July 13th, 2010 Jul 13, 2010 9:38:23 PM -   #54 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Slick, They can be placed anywhere on the cars. The film is produced to be placed on the actual cars for protection. Use similar stuff in nascar, and on high end cars against chips.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDecalWorld For This Useful Post:
allhamps (July 15th, 2010), CyberSultan (July 13th, 2010), MDsUnique (July 14th, 2010)
Old July 14th, 2010 Jul 14, 2010 6:01:13 AM -   #55 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhamps
I have a question about the XPEL value film: Since it is designed as a "paint protection" film, does this mean the decals made with this film can be placed anywhere on a vehicle, including a painted surface? I believe the DAS material is strictly recommended for windows.
I have tested using the 3-M product so far so good! (only have done a few decals )

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mfatty500 For This Useful Post:
Boomerbabe (July 14th, 2010), DTFuqua (July 14th, 2010), Eview1 (July 14th, 2010), SandyMcC (July 14th, 2010), vgary (July 14th, 2010)
Old July 14th, 2010 Jul 14, 2010 6:44:38 AM -   #56 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfatty500
I have tested using the 3-M product so far so good! (only have done a few decals )
Now its not fair to put up a tease post like this. So I'll be the one to do the asking. And what are the results so far and what has the time line been?

Old July 14th, 2010 Jul 14, 2010 12:01:01 PM -   #57 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Jane

Just received my decal material from Matt and I'm hoping to play with it tonight.

Old July 14th, 2010 Jul 14, 2010 12:32:53 PM -   #58 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Great Jane. Let me know if you have any questions and I can help you out. Enjoy! It is addicting!

Old July 14th, 2010 Jul 14, 2010 5:19:26 PM -   #59 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Susan

Mike - Do you heat press the rhinestones onto the 3M material? Same as they do with the DAS decal material? Thank you for sharing!

Old July 15th, 2010 Jul 15, 2010 6:11:01 AM -   #60 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: mike

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but yes i used 320 degree med. pressure for about 8-10 seconds seem to work ok, i'll keep everybody posted on progress. Thanks to all for getting this started!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mfatty500 For This Useful Post:
allhamps (July 15th, 2010), ashamutt (July 15th, 2010), DTFuqua (July 15th, 2010), RockRebel (July 15th, 2010), sjidohair (July 15th, 2010)

This is a discussion about Rhinestone Decals - Materials & Instructions that was posted in the Rhinestone Decoration section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in