[HP Printers] Laser printer original toner or purchase compatible sublimation toner - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

[HP Printers] Laser printer original toner or purchase compatible sublimation toner

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 8th, 2020 May 8, 2020 10:01:53 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Laser printer original toner or purchase compatible sublimation toner

Ok everyone, Iím new here and Iíve been researching so much this last week my head is doing 360ís.

So, Iíve recently made HTV vinyl t-shirts in one color (Iím terrible at layering) for a friend of mine and now she is wanting me to make more and also make coffee mugs and glass pints for her small restaurant business, we are talking a total of eight people including her and her husband who own the restaurant. With that being said I donít want to invest thousands of dollars to make these items for her and one other small business she asked me to make items for.

On that note, while watching some YouTube videoís Iíve noticed several people using an HP M454DW laser printer for their shirts and mugs. Are they using the STANDARD laser toner that comes with the printer and printing an image or design on to transfer/sublimation paper/vinyl OR are they using a special sublimation toner WITH their laser printer by replacing the standard toner? Iím wanting to have a DUAL USE printer for my home office as well as be able to print out custom shirt/mug/glass designs and thatís why the HP printer peaked my interest.

I would think this would be an easy question to find an answer for but itís been 5 days of searching and I still donít have a clear answer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2020 May 8, 2020 10:17:30 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default Re: Laser printer original toner or purchase compatible sublimation toner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynersriver
I would think this would be an easy question to find an answer for but itís been 5 days of searching and I still donít have a clear answer.
OKI white toner printers. Expensive.
Nothing special about the other 3 toners in them.

Vinyl is much more durable, and so a better option for work t-shirts.

Old May 8th, 2020 May 8, 2020 10:29:28 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Laser printer original toner or purchase compatible sublimation toner

Ok so would it be just as feasible to get the white toner in whichever brand is compatible for the HP printer to print on to a vinyl since the other toners are ordinary? I know this is a two-step process to bring the color forward on the vinyl, I’ve already discovered that while watching multiple videos.

Old May 8th, 2020 May 8, 2020 10:37:12 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

here is the laser transfer sub-forum with info on the different papers and processes
it sounds like you are watching some 'forever' videos

Old May 8th, 2020 May 8, 2020 10:38:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thank you for your guidance!

Old May 8th, 2020 May 8, 2020 2:18:54 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynersriver
Ok so would it be just as feasible to get the white toner in whichever brand is compatible for the HP printer to print on to a vinyl since the other toners are ordinary? I know this is a two-step process to bring the color forward on the vinyl, Iíve already discovered that while watching multiple videos.
You could get the ghost white toner and a HP printer... but I wouldn't recommend it. Small laser printers don't print well... at least that's what my sister is saying, and she has a lot more experience than me on laser printers. I actually used her Ricoh C7100x to print around 200 white toner transfers, and I'm pretty sure that was the cause of the fusing belt de-laminating. I cannot be 100% sure, but this printer is a heavy duty machine, and the fusing belt was not due for replacement yet. The technician said that printing envelopes and transparencies is usually the reason for premature parts wear in laser printers.

Anyway... I don't like the feel of those transfers, I used them a few times for doing photo shoots of concept designs, and I ended up wearing around 30 of them myself. The rest of them I used as rags or for doing print tests etc.

Old May 14th, 2020 May 14, 2020 7:18:06 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: AL

You would be better off with a Sublimation ink jet printer such as a Epson 7110.
That will take care of your coated hard substrates such as ceramic mugs. About $150.00.
You can get a White laser printer to print onto dark cotton and light cotton shirts using Neenah Image clip papers. That printer with the white toner cost $695.00 or as a black printer only $200.00.

Old May 14th, 2020 May 14, 2020 10:24:52 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

coffee mugs and glass pints .....for her small restaurant business.

You may want to dig deeper into those products that can withstand the commercial washing and drying process for a sustained period. A product may wash and dry well on poly or cotton and fail miserably on hard surfaces that are washed regularly.

If the intent is to only LOOK at the product, any method will work.

Old May 14th, 2020 May 14, 2020 10:58:39 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I started making sublimation toner in 2001 for the Hitachi laser printer engines.
I still have mugs that we use on a daily basis. They go through the dishwasher at least once a week and show ZERO fading and as if they were just made.
The comparison to a sublimation ink jet mug and a sublimated laser toner mug I have found to be as follows.
Ink jet will have a better transfer and resolution then laser.
Laser will have excessive longevity of wear then ink jet.

AL

Old May 14th, 2020 May 14, 2020 12:39:27 PM -   #10 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublial
The comparison to a sublimation ink jet mug and a sublimated laser toner mug I have found to be as follows.
Ink jet will have a better transfer and resolution then laser.
Laser will have excessive longevity of wear then ink jet.
That's nonsense...
Longevity depends on the quality, type, and thickness of coating.

The advantages of using laser printers for sublimation are exactly the same as for printing on paper. These are:
a) Speed. Laser printers are very fast and that makes a lot of difference on high volume production.
b) Cost. Laser prints are cheaper and there is no need for special sublimation paper.

Old May 14th, 2020 May 14, 2020 12:43:35 PM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

I manufacture toner and know what I have tested weekly for 19 years.
AL

Old May 14th, 2020 May 14, 2020 3:22:34 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

This is all very good information and I'm glad that laser and dye were mentioned as I'm actually considering doing both. The type I use will depend on the project and of course I wont start out doing both dye and laser, but hope to get to both eventually.

This is a discussion about Laser printer original toner or purchase compatible sublimation toner that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in