[Epson Printers] Artisan 1430 vs XP-15000 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

[Epson Printers] Artisan 1430 vs XP-15000

Like Tree3Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 9th, 2018 Feb 9, 2018 7:44:51 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Artisan 1430 vs XP-15000

So I'm torn between these two printers and need some help. I'm leaning towards the 1430 since it is a proven printer but it is being replaced by the 15000. I will be using the printer with JPSS. Yes, I know it's a dye ink in both of them but from what I have seen in searching, it still seems to hold up pretty good. My question is what is everyone's thought when choosing between the two printers? Here is a breakdown of what I can see:

Ink Cartridges
Both use the same type ink (Claria Hi-Def). The 1430 uses 6 cartridges and the 15000 now uses 7 which is supposed to help photos be more rich due to red/grey cartridges. The 1430 does have hi capacity cartridges out of the box with numerous aftermarket options. The 15000 comes with standard capacity out of the box for most of the cartridges so you basically get half the prints. There isn't many aftermarket options yet either.

Speed
Not much of a concern for me but the 15000 specs do show it is much faster than the 1430. 15000 does offer double sided printing as well. Not that it matters much with heat transfer paper.

Picture Quality
Both have the same resolution 5760x1440. Epson is pushing the 15000 as taking the output quality to another level where it is utilizing the red/grey cartridges.

Size
The 15000 is considerably smaller than the 1430. I do have a concern with this though. Have they skimped out on the quality of the internals just to get everything smaller? I'm just wondering if they have and needed to find some savings for the LCD screen addition. Anyone know anything on this?

I honestly dont think I can go wrong with either one. I just thought I would get your all's input because they are both the same price and wanted to be sure which one is the better of the two for the money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2018 Apr 25, 2018 5:12:31 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Artisan 1430 vs XP-15000

Anyone??

I'd like to know as well as I will be buying a printer real soon. If not tomorrow.. lol

Should I pay the extra for 1430 or just get the XP-15000?

Old April 26th, 2018 Apr 26, 2018 1:41:55 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Last I heared there were no refillable cartridges available for the xp15000 yet. Until there are you are stuck with expensive ink.

Dye ink isn't good for transfers - mainly down to the lack of wash resistance. To use with pigment ink or sublimation ink ( assuming that refillables are available soon) you will need to find a compatible ink set to encompass the red and grey ink.
mgparrish likes this.

Old April 26th, 2018 Apr 26, 2018 12:49:18 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

yeah I did a quick search for the XP-15000 cartridges and nothing on refillables. My train of thought is, if the XP become the new standard, maybe its worth buying now and waiting. Maybe a CISS is on the works and then the pigment ink can be used.

Old April 26th, 2018 Apr 26, 2018 11:50:59 PM -   #5 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

From what I understand the remaing stock of the 1430 has gone through the roof re price. In the UK they have gone from £185 to £350 in the last year. If you find a cheap one grab it.

Pigment would be ideal, but you would need to find a supplier who has had a compatible set of inks made to match the red and grey, and/or a good ICC profile. As the printer natively uses dye ink that could be some time away - transfer printers aside most buyers won't feel the need to change the ink. On the other hand it might happen next week....

If sales of the XP take off one of the ink suppliers will fill the gap in the market. It is just a gamble as to how soon.

Old December 16th, 2018 Dec 16, 2018 4:38:43 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

I bought the XP-15000 thinking it would be the same as the 1400/1430 I am replacing. I found refillable cartridges for it to use for sublimation printing but here is my problem.

Epson 1400/1430 use Black/yellow/cyan/light cyan/magenta/light magenta

Epson 15000 use Black/yellow/cyan/magenta/red/gray

I am guessing to substitute red for light magenta but gray......do I use black?

Light magenta is knocked out completely for some reason on the 15000.

I hate trying/testing putting different colors in the red/gray cartridges but.......I need to get this to work.

I only have 1 set of refillable cartridges so if it doesn't work, I will have to wait another 3 weeks to get another replacement of cartridges.

Or does anyone know of sublimation ink in red and gray?

Stumped on this.....trying to setup my new printer now and not sure what to do.

Ken

Old December 16th, 2018 Dec 16, 2018 8:56:22 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Paula

I was looking at that printer as well however Epson has a warning on the site that the printer will only work with genuine cartridges. Looks like they are putting some kind of disabler for 3 party cartridges. First time I have seen a warning such as this

Old December 17th, 2018 Dec 17, 2018 12:52:10 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Inktec make a red sub ink and also a light light black.

Here is a link for their Europe site - I think they have some form of distribution in the US. Nice ink.
https://www.inktec-europe.com/product/sublinova-smart/

Old December 17th, 2018 Dec 17, 2018 6:01:37 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Things to know:
Epson 'additional ink info' makes it clear that their FIRMWARE updates is to insure these printers do not compete with their own DTG printers. I suggest not investing in the 15000 until you read of others who in installed CIS and have been working well. Check the websites of CIS vendors to note who are offering CIS for the 15000. That will be a good clue. Epson's intent is to disable the cartridge ID resident in the chip resets. IT is highly likely when you call Epson for Ink Cartridge Error: IX00202 you will be buying a new printer. (note: the error above is completely fictitious) An option is to make certain the FIRMWARE is NEVER updated after the initial install.
Now, what is BEST for you really depends on your configuration. If you are simply doing transfers, you are making it way more complicated than necessary. The 6+ color printers are preferred for laying down the white base via RIP software. I don't think that is your intent at all.

Old August 28th, 2019 Aug 28, 2019 5:35:36 AM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matthew

So, I just picked up an XP-15000 and then filled with an all black set from Inkjet Mall. I don't use specific RIP software. I just set artwork to 100% for all 4 colors and print from Acrobat on transparency stock from Amazon made for inkjet (has the rough texture on one side). So far results have been excellent. Working with the calibration sheet with my exposure unit right now but as skeptical as I was while waiting for this to show up, I'm very impressed right now.

Old August 30th, 2019 Aug 30, 2019 5:41:57 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Sue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Matthew, that's good news. So you are making your film positives on the film you purchased on Amazon? What is the brand of film? I use Fixxons film myself, like it a lot.

I'm curious about what kind of prints you are doing. Another question, about the "all four colors" you are printing from Acrobat, would that be a .pdf file and are you printing out of Photoshop?

I've considered that printer as well, for my film positives. Currently, I'm doing pretty good with an old Epson WF1100 and have not invested in Accurip (yet). LOL. They don't have me convinced I need to buy the special license for the ALL BLACK feature. They want you to pay that license each year or buy enough of their ink & film to give you a free pass for the all black feature. I'm not liking that!!

Anhow, tell us more!

Old August 30th, 2019 Aug 30, 2019 5:54:49 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

In most cases it is a waste of a good printer to fill it with all black ink. Use a good quality UV fast ink with a quality film designed for printing positives (not OHP film). No need for a rip.

If using good film and ink the image doesn't need to be fully opaque, the ink will filter out the UV.

The Following User Says Thank You to PatWibble For This Useful Post:
lilsuz (August 30th, 2019)
Old August 30th, 2019 Aug 30, 2019 6:11:54 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsuz
Matthew, that's good news. So you are making your film positives on the film you purchased on Amazon? What is the brand of film? I use Fixxons film myself, like it a lot.

I'm curious about what kind of prints you are doing. Another question, about the "all four colors" you are printing from Acrobat, would that be a .pdf file and are you printing out of Photoshop?

I've considered that printer as well, for my film positives. Currently, I'm doing pretty good with an old Epson WF1100 and have not invested in Accurip (yet). LOL. They don't have me convinced I need to buy the special license for the ALL BLACK feature. They want you to pay that license each year or buy enough of their ink & film to give you a free pass for the all black feature. I'm not liking that!!

Anhow, tell us more!
I looked it up and it was Fixxons that I got from Amazon. As far as print settings, I am printing from Acrobat Pro. I take vector pdf separations and just make sure the color for the art is set to is 100% C, 100% M, 1000% Y & 100 K. I use Pitstop to do this but you could do it in Illustrator with vector files or photoshop with raster as well. It's basically a 400% ink coverage cmyk build. I just ran my calibration sheet and it looks fantastic! For a sub $300 inkjet I'm so stoked it's working so well. The black kit was only $107 too (UV45-XP-15000-KIT6 at Inkjetmall).

Old August 30th, 2019 Aug 30, 2019 7:34:04 AM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Matthew,

I would consider that a breakthrough! At least it is for those of us who were considering that Epson printer for film output. Yes on Adobe Acrobat Pro! I have that program as well. It's an older version, think I got it way back when I got the Illustrator C2S Suite, LOL. Still works for me, even on my Windows 10 computer.

Pat Wibble - thanks for your input! So much knowledge you have and share. Much apprecated!

Thanks for sharing!

Old September 6th, 2019 Sep 6, 2019 7:50:45 AM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Matthew, just checki'n, how's it going with your setup? Hopefully all is well still!

After much thought, I've decided to go with the Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer. I just could not bring myself to commit to Accurip though, didn't want to have to use their ink and film because I like to be flexible. However, I did like their all black feature. I know you can set your black to print from different cartridges. Ultimately though, I wanted to be able to print to more than just the Canon Pixma printer and be able to make lots of different adjustments without letting the software pick them for me or have to pay more for different features.

So, I went with PrintFab. It will run all the inkjets I own, Epsons and Canon. You can only load it on one computer though, so that will go on my laptop and I can port it around to whatever printer I need to use.

Price on the Printfab was very reasonable too. Now I'm waiting on my new Printer, should be here Sat.!!!

Anynow, good luck to you!

This is a discussion about Artisan 1430 vs XP-15000 that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in