Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge.. - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 4:54:32 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Scott
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

I have read where some guys have used an oki printer OTHER than the two standard oki WT printers. They are just swapping in white in the K.
I imagine they are double printing.

My question which exact models can you pull this off with. I have looked and first off finding white toner is...impossible other than prefilled cartridges. unless you go outside the US for bulk white toner bags.

I have considered buying white toner bulk and second 331DN for printing white then run again for CMY.

I just don't see any info on which printers guys were using....and if they were able to use the prefilled cartridges of white or had to get bulk toner from over seas.

If bulk white tone was easily available then one could just fill a refillable K cart but it is not. SO I assume people were using prefilled carts..?

I am looking for specific info..which model printers and where did you get the toner or cartridge. The info I found was rather generic.

I have to get back to printing on darks and DTG is not where I want to go if I can avoid it.

If I have to just buy a 711WT I would but...
NeideShirts likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 12:45:52 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 845 Posts

Default Re: Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

You can use any CMYK Okidata printer to do 2 pass printing provided that the white toner vendor will fill the K toner and drum set with white toner. Atttransfer sells the white or translucent drum/toner or you can provide the empty K drum/toner drum set and the company will fill it for you.

You can read up on this thread about 2 pass printing: https://www.t-shirtforums.com/laser-h...r/t215143.html

I do 2 pass printing using translucent instead of white toner with an obsolete C5200Ne. I also experimented using inkjet and Laser combo to transfer color with white. I can reset the counters in my printer and the newer models will not unless you buy a utility software.

https://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-pr...lip+laser+dark

ATTTRansfer had the patent of the process using sublimation inkjet ink in the patent.

https://www.google.com/patents/US873...qkBdEQ6AEIITAA

There is another printer other than the popular white toner printers. It is actually a tabloid CMYK printer that is converted to a dual purpose CMYK/CMYW single pass white toner printer. The company remaps the C and K toner drum sets to print color with white toner. It is done with their Icolor TransferRip software which is included in the package. The price of the package is much less than the the tabloid 920WT printer only.

The printer is Icolor 600. Here is the link to user manual https://www.signwarehouse.com/Miva/P...r%20Manual.pdf

The package costs $6995.00 which includes Heat transfer paper, sets of CMYW & Fluorescent CMYK drum/toner and Icolor TransferRip software. 920WT alone is $7995 and if you want TransferRip it cost additional $600.

Don't be fooled with start up cost because they all have starter toner set which is not much. The full high capacity toner set is approximately more than $1000.

I believe it is actually a C831. The reason I said that is the photo of the printer looks like C831 and in the printer installation in the manual it mentions to use C831 model.

You can watch the videos about Icolor system from here https://www.signwarehouse.com/blog/i...laser-printer/. Ask sample from Signwarehouse. Tell them you are interested in the system.

BTW somebody patented the 2 pass printing. After all people whom experimented with the process and published online the persons took all the concept and applied it to a patent that has blanket claim that includes single cartridge set, 2 cartridge set and yes monochrome cartridge. It seems unfair to all that spent the hard work, money and time then somebody else claims it to be theirs. The patent was granted on 2015 and the concept was published online way before that.

https://www.google.com/patents/US9383684

Last edited by Lnfortun; September 11th, 2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 12:56:37 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Default Re: Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

Question. So..if I were to try it on a 331dn and I have the white toner in bulk....would all I need to do is use one of my refillable K cartridges filled with white instead of black.
I say that as you mention the drum which is seperate from the cartridge so i was wondering why you kept mention the drum. Does this need to be changed for some reason?

I have several OKI 331's so i would like to use one as a test for 2 pass. I would make artwork with one layer as a black mask of entire artwork. Print this either using just K cartridge filled with black.

Then second pass with color through other 331 still setup with CMYK. For slight regisrtation issues you could use the old silk screen cheat and put a black stroke around the color layer only to "cover up" any white that might peak around edges. Or..slightly enlrage the color layer..whatever works better. i like the stroke method as I would only do this on black shirts.

Last edited by shughey; September 11th, 2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 3:52:44 PM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey
Question. So..if I were to try it on a 331dn and I have the white toner in bulk....would all I need to do is use one of my refillable K cartridges filled with white instead of black.
I say that as you mention the drum which is seperate from the cartridge so i was wondering why you kept mention the drum. Does this need to be changed for some reason?

I have several OKI 331's so i would like to use one as a test for 2 pass. I would make artwork with one layer as a black mask of entire artwork. Print this either using just K cartridge filled with black.

Then second pass with color through other 331 still setup with CMYK. For slight regisrtation issues you could use the old silk screen cheat and put a black stroke around the color layer only to "cover up" any white that might peak around edges. Or..slightly enlrage the color layer..whatever works better. i like the stroke method as I would only do this on black shirts.
I am referring to printers with separate drum unlike the C300 series where the drum set is one unit. In your case you need to clean the K drum hopper otherwise the K-toner and W-toner will get mixed in the K-hopper and that is not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ej5uVek8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD29moqEbfk

Here is how to reset C300/500 series printers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6i6l3zwds

You can use the K cartridge/drum hopper or M and Y cartridge/drum hoppers like the system used in Sun Angel system. Instead of black image for white toner the 2 cartridge system uses red color of the image for white toner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJYO-I0210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmEKtSaMIN0

Here is how to prepare the image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BajI_YeKdNQ

Using stroke will put white toner behind the stroke and the stroke will show when transferred. You might not like it. Choking the image is a better approach. The video shows 6 pixels. 6 pixels is way too big value. If the object is less than 6 pixels will not have white toner. Choking will not limit the shirt color to black.

Last edited by Lnfortun; September 12th, 2016 at 02:44 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to Lnfortun For This Useful Post:
andywintx (September 14th, 2016)
Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 4:24:21 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

That was a most excellent and thorough answer. Thank You!!!!!
I have looked at the Icolor 500 and 600 as an option. The 920 is out...I don't swing that kind of money...maybe the 711WT.
Would like to try it on a 331 first to see if I like it.
Thanks

Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 5:30:45 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey
That was a most excellent and thorough answer. Thank You!!!!!
I have looked at the Icolor 500 and 600 as an option. The 920 is out...I don't swing that kind of money...maybe the 711WT.
Would like to try it on a 331 first to see if I like it.
Thanks
Please post what you have done and the system you decided.

There are other players of laser transfer for dark. As you know Imageclip Laser Dark and Forever Laser dark No cut Low Temp are the two often mentioned transfers in the forum. Icolor sells Premium laser dark and Rhinotech sells their own laser for dark transfers. I talked to Rhinotech about their transfer. I was told that the A sheet is foil made by Forever but the B sheet is coated by different paper mill. There is also Italian laser transfer for dark called Shockline. It is claimed to be elastic. It has not hit the US market yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalyGTSSvg8

Not pushing these products (Transfers or printer system). I am just letting others know what is out there.

Last edited by Lnfortun; September 11th, 2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old September 11th, 2016 Sep 11, 2016 5:52:06 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I have tested Image clip laser dark and both Forever laser darks..they one that just transfers one color and the other that has the white backing polymer for full colors (no white though). Both were.....o.k....not great but o.k.

I think to get that real pop on darks customers want you really are going to have to use a white ink or toner though.

I need to get a sample of a white ink toner transfer and see. Might call signwharehouse and get an Icolor sample.

So many people ask me for darks now and then I hate to drop the sales but really don't want to go DTG. While I get enough requests they are not frequent enough IMHO to run a CMYK+W DTG. I had one before so I know how often it needs to run white...like daily almost.

Old September 12th, 2016 Sep 12, 2016 2:42:12 AM -   #8 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

By the way cleaning the toner cartridge(s) and drum hopper(s) with vacuum cleaner is not enough. Also the very fine toner powder is hazardous when inhaled. Use vacuum cleaner with hefa filter, wear a surgical mask and safety glasses. Take the cartridge(s) and drum hopper(s) outside then use compressed air to clean them thoroughly.

Al of Atttransfer told me he uses a sandblasting cabinet when he cleans the cartridges with compressed air.

I found this on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-GAL-BENCH...-/231261590570

Last edited by Lnfortun; September 12th, 2016 at 03:10 AM..

Old September 12th, 2016 Sep 12, 2016 5:57:20 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

O.K.....I think I ordered empty refillable cartridges before but not sure. Then again probably just recycled cartridges with toner dust in them.

Old September 12th, 2016 Sep 12, 2016 6:43:40 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Will two OKI c301dn do the same? I mean one for CMYK and the other one for white toner only

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old September 13th, 2016 Sep 13, 2016 2:44:28 AM -   #11 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogawaru
Will two OKI c301dn do the same? I mean one for CMYK and the other one for white toner only

It should work.

Old September 13th, 2016 Sep 13, 2016 3:23:09 AM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

thats my plan too...since I have a couple. Just need to source bulk toner in a bag. Found some on ebay from the UK...cheapest I could find outside of Alibaba...but I don't need a pallet of toner.

Old September 22nd, 2016 Sep 22, 2016 8:25:28 AM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: David
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

https://www.google.ch/patents/US9383684

Old September 22nd, 2016 Sep 22, 2016 2:37:22 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Where can I buy white toner for OKI c301dn?

Old September 22nd, 2016 Sep 22, 2016 6:18:13 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogawaru
Where can I buy white toner for OKI c301dn?

The Oki301 is the same as the Oki331 here in the US....I am certain and I have not been able to find any prefilled cartridges.

You will need to clean out a black cartridge and fill it with bulk bag toner. I found a plenty bag white toner in England and Europe on Ebay..but not anyone in the US who at least lists white toner in anything otehr than a cartridge and then only for the 920 and 711

This is a discussion about Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge.. that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in