Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge.. - Page 3 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

Like Tree5Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 18th, 2018 Nov 18, 2018 10:49:26 AM -   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Ramon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublial
Can you get ebay in Spain?
Hello, yes in Spain we have eBay to, but not much on there... on ebay.com I found a nice offer of a complete package with Canon Laser White Toner + Epson Sublimation.

Is there somewhere I can see more pictures of results done with this system? Maybe a video showing the full process?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2018 Nov 18, 2018 3:12:26 PM -   #32 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: AL
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default Re: Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge..

It should be a Oki white LED printer Hybrid with a Epson sublimation ink jet system.
AL

Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 6:03:57 AM -   #33 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Luis
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanked 1,146 Times in 845 Posts

Here is the hybrid printer bundle in Ebay.

Oki White and sublimation inkjet printers bundle

Old December 17th, 2018 Dec 17, 2018 10:47:18 AM -   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Stumbled across this thread while searching how to do white underprinting for waterslide decals on a c711wt. Read a lot that says it can't be done, that this printer only does overprinting for heat transfer paper since the white toner cartridge on this printer is in the last position and can't be swapped with the cyan cartridge in the first slot. However, I read a thread here where Forever Transferrip version 2.18 had a setting that allowed the swap and worked (though this option has been removed from subsequent version of the rip)...so it seems there's no hardware reason the 2 cartridges can't be swapped on an OKI C711wt.

Uninet iColor Tranferrip currently boasts the ability to work with this cyan/white swap, but supposedly only on their own printers...but I wonder if it will really work with Oki printers and Uninet is just saying that it won't. Here's the thing...as Luis noted on the first page of this thread, since an iColor 600 is really a rebranded Oki C831, when you load the Windows drivers for an iColor 600 printer, they appear to be Oki C831 drivers. This is what's shown in the iColor 600 manual. In fact, once the drivers are loaded, your computer believes you have an Oki c831 attached to it and the iColor manual tells you specifically to rename the printer to iColor 600 in Windows.

So, I'm wondering, since both printers use the same drivers, what would happen if you hooked up an Oki c831 to your PC, and renamed it an iColor 600 in Windows?...would you now be able to print white with it using iColor Transferrip, effectively transforming a $2100 c831 into a $7000 iColor 600? In my case, could I rename an oki C711wt to iColor 500 and swap the the cyan and white cartridges to print decals with the iColor rip? Hmmm...

Old December 18th, 2018 Dec 18, 2018 2:22:19 PM -   #35 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

The newer printers all have RF chips by OKI so you have to be very careful by switching the drum and cartridges back and forth because the board will recognize that and throw up a error code that will cause you a lot of trouble.
I was the first one that did this back in 2007 before Oki decided to get into the white toner business and put in RF chips to eliminate this application so they could sell there over priced Oki white and color printers. AL

Old December 19th, 2018 Dec 19, 2018 4:54:05 AM -   #36 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS
So, I'm wondering, since both printers use the same drivers, what would happen if you hooked up an Oki c831 to your PC, and renamed it an iColor 600 in Windows?...would you now be able to print white with it using iColor Transferrip, effectively transforming a $2100 c831 into a $7000 iColor 600? In my case, could I rename an oki C711wt to iColor 500 and swap the the cyan and white cartridges to print decals with the iColor rip? Hmmm...
Simply renaming the printer in windows will not have any effect on the way the printer functions internally. I Don't believe the C831 itself will allow you to swap the cyan and black/white toner and drums because of the chips as mentioned above but I do not have access to a C831. Not sure about the 600, the iColor 500 windows driver is in fact a C711 driver. I would guess the 600 driver is either an 831 or 8432 driver.... If the printer itself will not let you install the cyan and black/white into the wrong positions, your question is moot...

The 'normal' CMYK toner configuration is black in the front, cyan in the rear. The iColor printer B configuration for shirt transfers has the white in the back, cyan is in the front position and you tell the RIP to use the B configuration. If you have the printer configured as B and print directly to it outside of the RIP, because the cyan and white are swapped, all the colors will be screwed up. With the white in the rear position, the only way to get the colors to print correctly is to use the RIP and tell it to use the B configuration.
Lnfortun likes this.

Old December 19th, 2018 Dec 19, 2018 8:41:31 AM -   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I've read on various forums -and in this thread- about chips in OKI toners that prevent swapping cartridges in their newer printers. I wonder if there really are such things or if these are just rumors spread to discourage people from even trying either the swap or using white toners in a non-white-printing printer to print white. Here's a message in another forum:

https://www.whitetonertransfer.com/s...n-forever-rip/

where a guy who actually owns a modern OKI pro8432wt has swapped cyan and white and is using Forever TransferRIP to remap the cartridges and print white first. He reports that it works perfectly and this is exactly what I need to do to print waterslide decals. This seems to debunk the notion that "chips" on the toners will prevent this sort of thing. I also found out from the aforementioned thread that Forever has made mapping available again in the latest version of their RIP and it works with OKI printers....so I no longer need the iColor RIP to remap with my OKI anyway.

tfalk, you're correct that renaming the printer won't affect the way it works internally, but I was wondering if iColor only allowed the mapping feature to work with their printers...when any other type of printer than iColor is selected, the mapping feature wouldn't work...so if you renamed the printer in Windows, the iColor software would believe you're using one of their printers and enable the feature. It's an old programmer's trick and often easy to outwit.

Old December 19th, 2018 Dec 19, 2018 2:05:10 PM -   #38 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Don, I have been converting Oki printers to swap back and forth since I first made the white toner for these printers without any problems because they didn,t have RF chips in them to eliminate you from doing this.
A couple years later Oki decided to produce the c711 White printer.
Then it was right after that there newer regular color printers had RF chips in them. Those newer printers as per the c830 and c831 you couldn,t swap back and forth without an ERROR code recognizing you swaped them back and forth. The c831n was also selling for $900.00 US in Australia but Oki raised the cost in the US to $1,450.00. This isn,t by accident as they are trying to eliminate there competition from doing this in the US as they are making a lot of profit on there same printer models with the White toner in them. Now they are rebranding them through different dealers and putting RF chips in them programmed to only get the same toners from that private label dealer.
AL

Old December 19th, 2018 Dec 19, 2018 3:16:33 PM -   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I'm gonna give this a try myself on my C711wt as I'm getting a lot of info coming my way, some of it conflicting. What I know is that the iColor 500 coupled with iColor branded RIP software will do exactly what I want. I also know that the C711wt is the same printer as the iColor 500 and IColor's TransferRIP is actually Forever TransferRIP rebranded.

I've read the experience of the guy with an OKI 8432wt that was able to do these swaps and this leads me to believe it'll will work on my printer which is older than the 8432. When I contacted Forever and asked them if this would work, they said it would with the latest version of the RIP which has color mapping re-enabled. One U.S. dealer confirmed this and offers this version of the software. But when I asked a different U.S. dealer of the Forever RIP, they said they would not offer this version of the software since OKI doesn't recommend swapping cartridges on the c711wt for various issues related to quality of prints and excessive hardware strain...nothing about chips preventing the swap. Well, if hardware strain and print quality are reasons OKI doesn't recommend swapping on the c711wt, why does iColor advertise this ability as a desirable trait of their printer which is actually the OKI? I won't know the truth until I try it myself.

Old December 20th, 2018 Dec 20, 2018 5:16:22 AM -   #40 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

Oki tells you that swapping out one toner for another will cause equipment strain. What a bunch of malarkee. Toners are all of the same consistancy.
AL

Old December 20th, 2018 Dec 20, 2018 5:59:28 AM -   #41 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

To be fair, it was the dealer saying OKI said that, not OKI directly. I wonder what their customers would think if they knew that, when buying Forever TransferRIP from them, they won't be getting the latest version along with a feature that Forever supports?

Old December 20th, 2018 Dec 20, 2018 7:11:37 AM -   #42 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS
I'm gonna give this a try myself on my C711wt as I'm getting a lot of info coming my way, some of it conflicting. What I know is that the iColor 500 coupled with iColor branded RIP software will do exactly what I want. I also know that the C711wt is the same printer as the iColor 500 and IColor's TransferRIP is actually Forever TransferRIP rebranded.
Do you have a C711 or C711WT and which order are your toners inside the machine front to back? Is the white in the front and cyan in the back, aka the A configuration or is cyan in the front and white in the back, aka B configuration?

I spoke to Uninet a few days ago, the only way to get the printer to print the colors correctly with the cyan and white reversed is through the RIP. If you have the cyan in the front and white in the back and print directly to the printer without using the RIP, I confirm that the colors will be screwed up.

If you can swap the white and cyan and the machine itself does not complain about it, I believe with the Forever or iColor RIP should do what you want. And yes, the iColor RIP is identical to the Forever rip other than some branding information in the headers, that kind of stuff...

Old January 5th, 2020 Jan 5, 2020 8:06:39 AM -   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member
Be nice, this is my first post :)

Possible to use convert a C711 to C711WT ? Just change the toner ?

Old January 5th, 2020 Jan 5, 2020 8:37:59 AM -   #44 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You guys are working with the wrong Oki printer model. It is a very cheap printer with very little toner in it for this application.
You originally asked which printers can I use to switch out the black with white. The original process I use to do in 2007 when I was the first to make the white toner for the Oki printers. I would at first make printers with all 4 white toners in them and then found out I could increase the density using only 1 white toner and switching it back to run color. Those printers were the c5150, c5200, c3200, c6000, c6150 and the c6100. You can also use all of the c5000 series printers. When Oki decided to make a c711WT about 2009 or 2010 and get into the business of selling white toner they developed a RF chip so the competition couldn,t purchase one of there newer full color printers to do what I use to do in 2007 with there full color printers and compete with there expensive $3,500.00 c711WT. The equivelant price to that WT printer of Oki was only $600.00. ll of there color printers have the RF chips in them to not allow you to compete by swapping out the black with the white. The c711 and there other 4 cartridge printers are only printing with 3 colors and making the black by mixing it with the 3 colors. This is not a good quality black for art work.
AL

Old January 5th, 2020 Jan 5, 2020 8:49:26 AM -   #45 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

It is possible if it was one of the first ones made. I have converted some c711.
AL

This is a discussion about Which OKI printer are the guys using for white by just swapping in a white cartridge.. that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:

Log-in