Fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

Fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol?

Like Tree17Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old May 14th, 2016 May 14, 2016 4:11:11 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol?

Hi,

I'm researching different printing options for a new venture, and I wanted to know if it's possible to fill an empty inkjet cartridge with plastisol ink.

I understand plastisol ink is a little thicker than pigment- or dye-based inks. Would it be possible to thin the plastisol with an additive (or use a less opaque type of plastisol) and print a plastisol transfer directly from an inkjet printer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2016 May 14, 2016 4:22:36 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: Fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol?

Plastisol is used for screen printing...... it cannot go into a cartridge to print from a normal printer. A plastisol transfer is made with a screen printing press, continue reading on different processes as it seems your still need some learning to do, their is a lot of information here as well as youtube.

Old May 14th, 2016 May 14, 2016 4:38:01 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: D

Alright, maybe my question wasn't really clear.

I understand what screen printing is and how it works. What I want to know is, what happens if I fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol ink, or plastisol ink that has been diluted so that it has a similar consistency to standard printer ink?

It's not clear to me why plastisol is not used in printers, aside from the thickness issue. Saying "it cannot go into a cartridge to print from a normal printer" doesn't answer my question.

Old May 15th, 2016 May 15, 2016 7:51:28 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosleeptilbklyn
Alright, maybe my question wasn't really clear.

I understand what screen printing is and how it works. What I want to know is, what happens if I fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol ink, or plastisol ink that has been diluted so that it has a similar consistency to standard printer ink?

It's not clear to me why plastisol is not used in printers, aside from the thickness issue. Saying "it cannot go into a cartridge to print from a normal printer" doesn't answer my question.
Even if you could get this stuff through the print heads maybe a day after printing the plastisol that is sent to the waste tank during initial setup and subsequent head cleans will form a solid plastic film in and over the parking/cleaning pads on the capping station. As such you will have a nasty mess under your print heads from printing and you have trashed your printer.

Before you refuse to accept that "it cannot go into a cartridge to print from a normal printer" as a viable answer ... perhaps you should consider that if it was really possible then why haven't Billion $$$ companies like HP and Epson done this already? It would no less than revolutionize screen printing don't you think?

Critical thinking should be applied first instead of relying on others that don't design and make printers to answer, then reject their answers when they try.
Dekzion likes this.

Old May 21st, 2016 May 21, 2016 6:46:17 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Plastisol even if diluted would clog the print head in minutes.Sorry. Maybe if there was a print head with larger holes for the plastisol to pass thru?

Old May 21st, 2016 May 21, 2016 7:28:44 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Que
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Plastisol ink wouldn't even make it out the cartridge at all.but if you don't believe us go ahead and try it then come back and tell us what happen.
mgparrish and Printor like this.

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 2:48:31 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I have a question similar, how do some companies make their plastisol heat transfers with sooo much detail? Some perform very well and they have colors mixed and smeared together. I don't feel like they are doing this with traditional screen printing onto paper?

Last edited by mn15; April 17th, 2020 at 10:55 AM..

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 4:21:33 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

That's a great question. It is from questions like this that innovation emerges.
There are existing ways to get the outcome you want. However, insisting on forcing a cruise liner to go beneath a 9 foot tall bridge is an exercise in futility.

It seems you want the low cost of screen printing and the agility of DTG. Let us all know what you innovate.

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 4:24:01 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn15
I have a question similar, how does a company like Trendy Transfers make their plastisol heat transfers with sooo much detail? They perform very well and they have colors mixed and smeared together. I don't feel like they are doing this with traditional screen printing onto paper.

There is a process called DST - Digital Screen Transfer - that combines laser printing and screen printing.
The colour layer is printed (flipped) using a laser printer onto special film. A white 'mask' is then screenprinted over the colour layer. applied with a heatpress. See video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAFvvvQP9zs

Process works best if you can gang several different designs onto one sheet, meaning only one screen needs to be made. It is then viable to offer small runs of a dozen or so of each design - in theory the first design covers your time and costs and all of the other designs are profit.
Less profitable if you only get one larger design onto a sheet.
into the T likes this.

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 4:50:20 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I think that's exactly how they are made. Interesting, I have never seen this process before. Thanks so much!

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 5:33:16 AM -   #11 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
I have a question similar, how does a company like XXXXX make their plastisol heat transfers with sooo much detail? They perform very well and they have colors mixed and smeared together. I don't feel like they are doing this with traditional screen printing onto paper.
1.This is spam and it's obvious.
2. It has nothing to do with the original question.

In any case the original question is kinda silly. Plastisol is basically an oil based ink, and inkjet printers using thinned down oil based inks already exist. They are called solvent or eco-solvent inkjet.

Last edited by TABOB; April 17th, 2020 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: removed company name

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 7:40:02 AM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

1. I've been called a lot of things but "Spam" have never been one.
2. I was curious to know if there's been a breakthrough that allows such since the original question.

Nevertheless, thanks for the info!
PatWibble likes this.

Last edited by mn15; April 17th, 2020 at 07:50 AM..

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 10:32:02 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
1. I've been called a lot of things but "Spam" have never been one.
here is why it came across as spammy:
1) you mention by name a very, very small husband and wife team, like it is common in the industry
2) you include unrelated info that is generally used in sales pitches, '...sooo much detail...', and 'They perform very well...'
3) this is your very first post and it is a sales pitch (guerrilla marketing, if you prefer)
4) it has nothing to do with the original topic of pushing plastisol through a desktop printer
5) it is a long dead thread you dredged up to post about this company's awesome transfers
Ripcord likes this.

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 10:58:27 AM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
here is why it came across as spammy:
1) you mention by name a very, very small husband and wife team, like it is common in the industry
2) you include unrelated info that is generally used in sales pitches, '...sooo much detail...', and 'They perform very well...'
3) this is your very first post and it is a sales pitch (guerrilla marketing, if you prefer)
4) it has nothing to do with the original topic of pushing plastisol through a desktop printer
5) it is a long dead thread you dredged up to post about this company's awesome transfers
Gotcha, I was looking for help and this thread came across on Google and it was a general question that caught my interests. By looking at their product I could not tell how 'they' were doing it and I did not intend to give them marketing by no means (they are too high and I have removed the name from my post). I honestly thought there may be a new way of using plastisol through a specific print head like some sublimation inks???

I will definitely be more careful before I reference this forum again. Two people giving me brutally honest feedback is enough for me to steer clear unless I have all of my ducks in a row. Sorry for being green.
Ripcord and into the T like this.

Old April 17th, 2020 Apr 17, 2020 12:32:59 PM -   #15 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Pat
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Quote:

I will definitely be more careful before I reference this forum again. Two people giving me brutally honest feedback is enough for me to steer clear unless I have all of my ducks in a row. Sorry for being green.

You asked a perfectly legitimate question.

Welcome to the forum, we need all the new members we can get so please don't go because one member is feeling more irascible than usual.
into the T and mn15 like this.

This is a discussion about Fill an inkjet cartridge with plastisol? that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in