I think I'm going to cry... - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

I think I'm going to cry...

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 5:59:39 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dawn
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Unhappy I think I'm going to cry...

My Epson 1280 just died I hadn't used it in a few days and went to turn it on to do some printing and it wouldn't power up. *sighs* I've had it for a little over a year and had NO problems at all. I have it set up to run my dye sub stuff and it worked perfectly a few days ago. Fortunately I have my 4800 but...I LOVE my 1280!! It's great for short runs. I'm thinking the power supply has died...hopefully Epson will help me out with a new supply or a refurb. I don't want to switch to a 1400 so if I can't get it fixed or replaced with another 1280 I'll have to switch to using my 4800.

I know others have had issues with theirs...any ideas what might have happened?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 7:25:23 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

Default Re: I think I'm going to cry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnpoetic
My Epson 1280 just died I hadn't used it in a few days and went to turn it on to do some printing and it wouldn't power up. *sighs* I've had it for a little over a year and had NO problems at all. I have it set up to run my dye sub stuff and it worked perfectly a few days ago. Fortunately I have my 4800 but...I LOVE my 1280!! It's great for short runs. I'm thinking the power supply has died...hopefully Epson will help me out with a new supply or a refurb. I don't want to switch to a 1400 so if I can't get it fixed or replaced with another 1280 I'll have to switch to using my 4800.

know others have had issues with theirs...any ideas what might have happened?
It just decided to stop working. happemns. Have you looked at the new 1900. They stopped making the 1280 years ago.

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 8:48:21 PM -   #3 (permalink)
jge
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: John

Default Methinks your PSU has died

You love your 1280 ? I can't imagine why - it's sloooower than a corrupt politician in leaving office...........

Your power supply is most likely fried (it's at the back under the paper in tray).

Do NOT under any circumstances by a 1900 - they are fraught with problem which only start occurring a few months after purchase (generally after 6-8 months). The 1400 is a far better printer, with less hassles, and unlike the 1900 can actually do a decent greyscale image.

Old October 9th, 2008 Oct 9, 2008 5:43:25 AM -   #4 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

badalou's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Lou

Default Re: Methinks your PSU has died

Quote:
Originally Posted by jge
You love your 1280 ? I can't imagine why - it's sloooower than a corrupt politician in leaving office...........

Your power supply is most likely fried (it's at the back under the paper in tray).

Do NOT under any circumstances by a 1900 - they are fraught with problem which only start occurring a few months after purchase (generally after 6-8 months). The 1400 is a far better printer, with less hassles, and unlike the 1900 can actually do a decent greyscale image.
As I don't own a 1900 but the difference is the type of ink the 2 units use. If you buy a 1400 then you should get a cis system because it uses dye based inks. The 1900 used pigment inks. I have not heard of anyone having problems with the 1900. It replaces the 1800 and the old 1280. Lou

Old October 9th, 2008 Oct 9, 2008 3:22:17 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

lol...I love it because it never caused me problems...EVER. I've gone through several C88's, had a few issues with my 4800 but not a single problem with my 1280. Yes it's slow but as I said, I only used it for small runs and it was always consistent. I use refillable carts with it so that means if I get a different model I'll have to replace those as well.

Ah well...I guess I'll look at the 1900 as I don't want to deal with another CIS...Thanks Lou!

Old October 9th, 2008 Oct 9, 2008 7:01:23 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnpoetic
lol...I love it because it never caused me problems...EVER. I've gone through several C88's, had a few issues with my 4800 but not a single problem with my 1280. Yes it's slow but as I said, I only used it for small runs and it was always consistent. I use refillable carts with it so that means if I get a different model I'll have to replace those as well.

Ah well...I guess I'll look at the 1900 as I don't want to deal with another CIS...Thanks Lou!
Wow, Dawn, the 1900 is $499 on epson.com. The 1400 is $299 new, and the refurbs are $179.00. Here's a link to that:
Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - Refurbished, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

You could buy either one of those 1400's and get a refill cart system from inkjetcarts.us or shopdyesub.com or inkjetfly and *still* save a bunch of money. Just a thought for you.

Btw, folks do use the 1400 with the Claria ink that comes with it for transfers. It's a dye, but it is not a regular photographic dye. It is a HiDef "water resistant" dye. If you do a search on "Claria ink" you'll see the feedback from users.

Claria works for most, but not all, but then again, Durabrite works for most, but not all (colorshifts, ya know?).

Anyway, before you go to the expensive 1900, unless there is something you absolutely need about that printer, think about giving the 1400 and a refill system a good look over.

Also, I've seen folks selling their 1280's in the classified section here. You may be able to snag someone else's. https://www.t-shirtforums.com/tf-clas...tml#post348014. There's also Ebay if you want another 1280.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do...

Old October 9th, 2008 Oct 9, 2008 10:04:16 PM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: zoey

What is it about the 1400 that you don't like? I have only had mine about 5 months but I love it.

Old October 10th, 2008 Oct 10, 2008 6:25:23 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Kelly, I'm gonna weigh my options and see. I may end up not even getting another printer for a while. After all I do have my 4800 (set to do dye sub and regular transfers) and my C88. I'm one of those who has been using Durabrite with no problems...guess I've been lucky with that and the 1280. I'm not opposed to the 1400, I've definitely read good things about the Claria inks on here.

I guess more than anything, I just got a little frustrated because I had everything exactly how I wanted it and it's been working great for me for so long, then BAM. Oh well, I guess it happens to us all at some point...things just go wacko for no apparent reason. I'll survive.

Old October 10th, 2008 Oct 10, 2008 6:41:49 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,389 Posts

I hear ya! For me, it's banding right now. Whew. Driving me nutz. So I bought a cutter. Anyway, good luck to you, and hopefully you be smooth sailing again soon.

Old October 10th, 2008 Oct 10, 2008 11:43:05 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: zoey

You are so right. We all get comfortable with what we have and BANG now we have to start over at 0. Good Luck

This is a discussion about I think I'm going to cry... that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in