WHAT?? do i really NEED this? - Page 2 - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

WHAT?? do i really NEED this?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 11:03:33 AM -   #16 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WHAT?? do i really NEED this?

The people that will be able to answer that question accurately for you are Sawgrass themselves. You should be able to find the answer on their site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 11:14:28 AM -   #17 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

It sounds like you have everything pretty much covered.

As long as your blanks are created with dye sublimation in mind, you have all the major resources you need.

I also recommend:

A good paper cutter - Good for when you batch jobs, or if you plan on doing a lot of mugs, I sometimes a few pieces of paper into three 2.8x11 sections and you have your own little sub paper for each mug.

Extra copy paper, or scrap paper - This is useful for putting underneath the substrate on your flat heat press. I always have a bleed area when sublimating, when the ink heats up, it turns into a gas and goes down. The material soaks up the majority, but the extra bleed around the edges has to go somewhere, so if you don't put a piece of paper down,it will go into your bottom platen and may end up sublimating onto something else. I normally have tons of one sided printed regular copy paper that is no longer useful. I place two sheets with the text facing each other (cause I've had toner transfer to the bottom of my heat press before too) and press.

A teflon sheet - Used over top of the material, I seem to get better results when pressing with it.

An oven mitt - If you're doing aluminum or ceramic tiles, these get really really hot and stay really really hot for awhile. Sometimes you can remove it with the copy paper underneath, but sometimes it's best to just grab it.

About the coating, as long as you're buying from a dye sub distributor that lists it as a dye sub product, you're fine. But for example, you cannot go to Walmart and buy a coffee mug, then sublimate on it, as it is probably missing the polymer coating and the ink will either not bind to it at all, or will wash off after the first wash.

Conde, Coastal Business, and Johnson all have a good variety of dye sublimatable substrates (mugs, plaques, nametags, etc)

The Following User Says Thank You to joeshaul For This Useful Post:
lindsayanng (October 8th, 2008)
Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 11:42:50 AM -   #18 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Joeshaul -
we have all the cutters and such from when my husband was heavily into graphic design with the self healing boards and all that..

I WAS thinking about getting a c120 printer, but since i just got a good deal on a C88, do you think that is ok for what i am doing?

we will NOT be producing mas quantities of anything. We are only printing ourself because we have a photography website and do pet photographer and those people LOVE their mugs and puzzles and silly stuff like that.. the issue was I could not find a company that would give us a price that was under retail.. Buying a mug for $9.00 and then trying to sell it for anything more than $15.00 is crazy! people just dont want a $15.00 mug.. if we do it outselves, we can offer a lower price at a higher profit margin..

I am a little confused about the use of the copy paper.. Maybe i will understand more when i actually GET my press..

The order that you put the stuff on the press is Paper (ink side up) then the material to be pressed to (ink side down)?? Where does the paper go? Underneath the printed paper??

Wow.. I am really confused.. are there pictures some where of the actual PROCESS of th pressing

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 11:51:53 AM -   #19 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Charles
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,353 Posts

c88 will work just fine...I am just an old fuddy duddy but IF I am spending $400 to get ready to print sublimation...why not just pay the 15-17 cents per page and get a quality print...Just my humble opinion...which is seldom humble

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 11:55:56 AM -   #20 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

i understand what you are saying, and the only reason i am thinking about this printer is because its in a package barter deal that i am working out with someone.. If iw as paying for a new printer, i would have just got the C120, but if its close to equivelent, and i can get away with a barter, i am VERY VERY happy

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 12:00:09 PM -   #21 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

Generally I have, starting from the bottom:
The scrap paper (to absorb the excess sublimation ink)
The substrate (puzzle, aluminum, mousepad, etc)
The actual sublimation print (usually heat taped to the substrate to prevent it from moving at all during pressing, or when the heat press is released)
Teflon sheet

Some items are recommended face down (tiles being the main one), however I do the majority face up.

The C88 should be just fine, as that is the same printer I use. I had actually purchased an R1800 and was going to turn it into a dye sub printer, however I started getting some orders in for printing wedding invitations, which come in all shapes and sizes, so I decided to keep the R1800 solely for that. The extra width really isn't too important, as most substrates work fine with 8.5x11, if you need to do something like license plates, then you can get legal sized sublimation paper that's 8.5x14.

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 12:20:51 PM -   #22 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

yea, i think the only thing that a small format printer would hold me back from is the puzzle.. arent those a little larger than 8.5 x 11.. Arent they like 10x10??

Same with place mats and all.. One day, if we make more money, we can do all that..

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 12:48:55 PM -   #23 (permalink)
T-Shirt Mogul

The puzzle I made was 7.5"x9.5", a majority of the sublimation puzzles are for 8.5"x11" or less, I have seen one or two that were bigger.
The place mat I ordered was a bit disappointing. It's basically just a large mouse pad (same material and makeup). I ended up pressing it twice, the print came out ok, the seam wasn't too noticeable, but I was just a bit disappointed at what it actually was. I only paid $3 for it, so it's not like I was out my life savings.

Old October 8th, 2008 Oct 8, 2008 1:44:51 PM -   #24 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

that was going to be my second question.. Double pressing.. so it is possible to print two sheets to put on ONE item.. NEAT.

This is a discussion about WHAT?? do i really NEED this? that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in