Refillable Carts vs. CIS System - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

Refillable Carts vs. CIS System

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2008 Oct 3, 2008 1:28:07 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Chris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Refillable Carts vs. CIS System

Okay I have a CIS System for my Epson C120 and I don't really like because of too many problems not recognizing the chips and other problems as well.

I am going to upgrade to the Epson SP1400 for wider printing.

but was wondering what are the pros and cons to each one? Is one really better than the other? And are refillable carts easier to use than a CIS System?

And can someone tell me the difference between these two types of carts Damper vs. PrintersKit

Thanks.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2008 Oct 3, 2008 2:39:12 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Default Re: Refillable Carts vs. CIS System

Hi Chris. Most of the refillable carts have the same auto reset chip that the CIS systems have. Essentially they reset the cartridge when the level falls to about five percent capacity.

Problem with that, is it is possible to run out of ink and potentially risk damaging your printhead (unlikely but still possible). When the cartridges are in place it is difficult to see the ink levels, unlike a CIS where the levels can be clearly seen.

With refillable cartridges, you also have the problem of refilling the cartridges. You can either do this in situ, or preferably by removing the cartridge and refilling away from the printer. Again you may encounter problems with the printer recognising the cartridge when it is replaced.

If you are doing lots of printing go with the CIS, if your needs are less, go with the refillable cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Old October 3rd, 2008 Oct 3, 2008 5:10:59 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,389 Posts

I'm not hooked up yet, but am in the market. Of the people I know that have refill carts, they are very happy. The set up seems to be a bear, but once they get thru that, the threads turn to happiness. I have seen people leave CIS for, what they say, is easier for them, the re-fill carts.

I know one member here posted where he gets his refill carts for the 1400, shopdyesub.com. Tho he's doing testing for some ink for someone right now, which I can get you that link, I just have to look for it. Depending on what paper you use, the ink he is testing now has a color profile just for JPSS, and the supplier has offered to do custom color profiles for anyone who sends him the paper they use.

If you decide to go re-fill carts, let me know if you want me to look up those threads. If you'd rather grab them yourself, the person posting the info is Ivancuriel. Nice guy, and he'll let you know whatever you want to about what he's up to. Good luck and....

The Following User Says Thank You to Girlzndollz For This Useful Post:
marcelolopez (October 7th, 2008)

Old October 3rd, 2008 Oct 3, 2008 6:05:16 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

I got my refillables and ink from injetcarts.us Ross was very helpful in getting the kinks worked out and I am very happy with the performance and the inks. I have a 1400 and his heat tranfer inks work great with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to hamlettsigns For This Useful Post:
marcelolopez (October 7th, 2008)
Old October 5th, 2008 Oct 5, 2008 9:30:11 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Wizard

You can call me: Larry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't have any experience with the CIS system but I can tell you that since I switched to the refillable carts 3 or 4 years ago I have absolutely no problems. I refill mine right in my printer. I figure the less you have to handle the carts the better. When one of my carts gets low I just refill all of them at that time.

The Following User Says Thank You to dim116 For This Useful Post:
Girlzndollz (October 6th, 2008)
Old October 7th, 2008 Oct 7, 2008 1:01:19 PM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Apprentice

I am new to the forum so here goes.....I just purchased the epson 120 and the CIS from inkjetcarts.us.......after reading that someone wasnt happy with this I'm feeling a little uneasy.....should I have purchased a different printer????

Old October 7th, 2008 Oct 7, 2008 3:13:15 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncherry23
I am new to the forum so here goes.....I just purchased the epson 120 and the CIS from inkjetcarts.us.......after reading that someone wasnt happy with this I'm feeling a little uneasy.....should I have purchased a different printer????
I bought the same setup than you. But the C120 was a lemon, I bought it direct from Epson. It never printed. Because it was new (actually refurbished) I, at first, suspected of the CIS, from inkjetcarts.us, Ross was very helpful. But then I switched to the OEM ink and it didn't work either. The printer wasn't working. Epson customer service asked me to call technical support, over the phone to verify the printer was defective. I just trashed the printer, now I have a spare CIS, and may be I will buy a C120 off craigslist. I am pretty sure I will have better "customer service" that way.
Then I bought the re-fillable cartridges, again from inkjetcarts.us, for my Epson 2200 and an Epson 960, and they work very well, so far I am happy with my investment.
But answering to your question, you should try. If your printer works, you should be happy with your purchase too

Old October 9th, 2008 Oct 9, 2008 5:04:47 AM -   #8 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Girlzndollz's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,389 Posts

Wow, Marcelo! You know I have 2 of those c120's in stock, and a 1400, all re-furbs not yet opened. I am currently running 3 re-furb printers from that site, all working fine, so you know what? I felt totally comfortable with the re-furbs from there. But I did think that if one of them ended up with issues, Epson would be there.... not the case it sounds like... was there no help at all?

This is a discussion about Refillable Carts vs. CIS System that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in