epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra inks drying up constantly - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Heat Press and Heat Transfers > Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers
Discuss the different brands, makes and models of printers used to print inkjet and laser heat transfers. Also includes information on the inks that can be used to make your own transfers.

epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra inks drying up constantly

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By freebird1963
  • 1 Post By Brian
  • 1 Post By sben763

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 2:49:51 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra inks drying up constantly

I have an epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra ink system cartridges in it, this isn't a tube fed system the 4020 houses large cartridges so I bought the printer and cobra made cartridges with cobra inks to refill.

It seemed like a great setup for printing jetpro soft stretch transfer sheets but the inks just clog or dry up constantly, I end up having to clean the nozzles/heads 10x to get things flowing then I can do a transfer sheet or two and once things are going I can do multiples fine, but within 2-3 days it's all clogged up again and I have to sit there fiddle with nozzle and head cleaning over and over to get things flowing again.

I must blow out close to a dozen sheets of paper and easily 10+ nozzle/head cleaning cycles with missing colors and some trying to come thru each time I go to use it.

Has anyone else had this problem before, I am trying to use the printer more often even if I just print some basic color chart offline once in a while but the fact it just keeps clogging/drying up or whatever it's doing here that causes me to keep recleaning the head/nozzles constantly is very annoying.

I don't even think I have 30 transfers printed on it total, I am trying like i said to print more stuff in general (coupons, emails, a pic i save on desktop of the color wheel chart) but it doesn't take more than say 2 days to start acting up again and giving yucky prints till i run head/nozzle cleanings over and over and over to clear it up.

Just curious if anyone has this model or uses cobra inks and has this issue? If I knew this would be this much of a pain to use i'd have probably not spent the $300+ bucks on the thing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 3:15:00 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Mark
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Default Re: epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra inks drying up constantly

Since its not tube feed why not try to see if its the ink or the printer.
Get some epson oem carts and try. Or if you still have the originals that came with it plop them in and see.
I have a WF 1100 with Cobra pigment inks that gets used rarely and hardly any issues. Been sitting here for a year with little or no use of late.

Good Luck
FTLOSM likes this.

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 3:19:39 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Default Re: epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra inks drying up constantly

The printer came with the epson starter cartridges, oneday i did like 10 cleanings and needed to get something done and I was getting nowhere, so i popped in the epsons and bam perfect right off the bat.

So I am stumped as to why my cobra cartridges with their inks make the thing run so dry - I say dry but not sure what's going on in there it's like i have to clean it constantly to keep the colors flowing.

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 7:06:54 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Brian S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Have you spoken to Cobra Inks about this? I'd try that right away.
Libby likes this.

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 7:22:56 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Yeah Rich had said to send it in and they would look at it when I first got this and noticed the issues, I didn't do that due to the cost of shipping it back (it's big and heavy) and because after a few rounds of cleaning it cleared up but then i noticed it kept doing it again and again ;(

I figured I could identify what was causing the problem and fix it or just print more often to keep them primed, but so far no luck, kinda stumped as to why it's happening only thing I can think of is the cobra cartridges or inks are prematurely drying up since if I put epson starter cartridges in it will start flowing much faster (maybe 2 clean cycles vs 10+).

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 7:26:11 PM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,481 Posts

Contact them, are you sure you have them full. I know also a lot of these newer cartridges are sponge less. If you don't have them primed properly they will do exactly as you are describing. I pull them out use a blunt needle and open the valve on bottom of cartridge. Then blow gently though the vent in the cartridge. That the other thing do you have the vents open. There are usually 2 plugs and the rear one is a vent and the plugs must remain out. Alternatively instead of doing all the cleanings you should learn how to wet the capping station and clean the bottom of the head as you will fill you waste ink pad and then have to install a waste ink tank and learn how to reset the printer.
FTLOSM likes this.

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 7:48:49 PM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

sben,
Thanks for the suggestions, I removed the blue and yellow since on nozzle print page tests those were the ones missing the most lines, took a needle pushed in a bit where ink comes out (felt spring loaded sorta), then over garbage (just in case) pushed a bit of air thru the top vent hole (which was open).

Reinserted them ran ONE cleaning cycle and the nozzle print page came out like 98% full (vs maybe 15% previously).

I googled a color wheel chart printed it 3x and by the third print I am getting full colors no missing spots.

I don't know if that's something I will need to do regularly but having done that it saved me many cleaning cycles, heck nextime if it happens I will try to print something after doing that vs running the cleaning cycle (maybe it won't even need that step).

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 7:52:32 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

The front part where the ink comes out almost feels spring loaded

Old November 6th, 2014 Nov 6, 2014 7:54:52 PM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

And on the top there is a vent hole - I had it unplugged but tonight I blew into it not too hard and a bit of ink started to come out the front hole. I used a needle and pushed that front piece in (felt spring loaded) a bit of ink started to flow.

But after putting them back in (did this to yellow and blue) did one clean cycle and bam almost every line was solid.

Old November 7th, 2014 Nov 7, 2014 3:43:47 AM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Sean
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,481 Posts

It may have not been primed fully. I forgot they started doing the front feed on some of the printers. What I do though to prime the carts is depress and gently blow. If after you have primed and everything is good as long as you keep them full you shouldn't have to reprime. Just don't go buy the ink monitor as it will get off from what actually in the carts.

This is a discussion about epson workforce pro 4020 printer with cobra inks drying up constantly that was posted in the Printers and Inks for Inkjet and Laser Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in