T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Plastisol Transfers

Plastisol Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the many aspects of plastisol (screen printed) heat transfers. Topics include where to buy, how to put them on t-shirts, quality, pictures, stock (pre printed) transfers and more. Read the definition of a plastisol transfer here.

Transfers on Polyester

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TABOB

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 15, 2020 2:00:45 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Transfers on Polyester

Hello Forum!

My name is Paul out of Boise, Idaho and I'm looking for some help from my peers.

I am working with some 100% polyester polo shirts that are black. I'm pressing EPT transfers printed with Plasticol ink, which are to be pressed at 320 degrees for 10-12 seconds. It is leaving a mark from the heat press. I need to use pads to raise up the area of the shirt that is being pressed as the buttons on the polo are in the way.

I contacted Versatranz, the company that made the transfers and they say that 320 degrees is the lowest I can go on the heat. They also suggested that I use a Teflon sheet to help with the scorching on the fabric.

I tried the Teflon sheet and it did not change the results — the shirts still have a mark. Bummer.

Any help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 15, 2020 5:04:31 PM -   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Thanked 2,561 Times in 2,278 Posts

Default Re: Transfers on Polyester

Unfortunately heat press marks can be a byproduct of pressing on polyester. Especially darker colors. There are some tips & tricks scattered throughout this Plastisol Transfer forum. And certainly others will chime in on what works best for them.

Personally we stay away from using transfers this hot on dark poly. We use lower temp vinyl or direct screen print instead.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 15, 2020 5:54:22 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

You can call me: Paul
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Thank you, Joe! I'll be sure to check out the "Plastisol Transfer" forum.

Old 4 Weeks Ago Jul 15, 2020 6:25:26 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Bob
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearboise
It is leaving a mark from the heat press.
Try using cotton fabric instead of Teflon.

If this does not work, try pressing it reversed. Use kapton tape and turn the garment inside out.
mrbrooks36 likes this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 31, 2020 5:01:39 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Danny
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearboise
Hello Forum!

My name is Paul out of Boise, Idaho and I'm looking for some help from my peers.

I am working with some 100% polyester polo shirts that are black. I'm pressing EPT transfers printed with Plasticol ink, which are to be pressed at 320 degrees for 10-12 seconds. It is leaving a mark from the heat press. I need to use pads to raise up the area of the shirt that is being pressed as the buttons on the polo are in the way.

I contacted Versatranz, the company that made the transfers and they say that 320 degrees is the lowest I can go on the heat. They also suggested that I use a Teflon sheet to help with the scorching on the fabric.

I tried the Teflon sheet and it did not change the results — the shirts still have a mark. Bummer.

Any help is much appreciated!
We have some customers that do press as low as 300, but we don't recommend that without doing some wash and dry tests. But for some it has worked. We also have some customers that have had success covering the top heating element with a cotton t-shirt before pressing. These are just suggestions.

danny

Old 2 Weeks Ago Jul 31, 2020 6:19:59 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Thanked 1,310 Times in 1,076 Posts

What kind of mark? From the paper or from the platten?

This is a discussion about Transfers on Polyester that was posted in the Plastisol Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in