T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Plastisol Transfers

Plastisol Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the many aspects of plastisol (screen printed) heat transfers. Topics include where to buy, how to put them on t-shirts, quality, pictures, stock (pre printed) transfers and more. Read the definition of a plastisol transfer here.

Talked to F&M at show, good transfers?

Like Tree4Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 14th, 2019 Jan 14, 2019 9:19:17 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Bill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Question Talked to F&M at show, good transfers?

Hi all, I was at the SURF expo in Orlando a few days ago. Some of the big transfer companies were there. I talked to someone from F&M transfers. I liked the feel and look of the display designs they had showcased.

Can anyone who has or currently buys from them give me your thoughts on the quality, look and how well F&M transfers work for you? I figured I'd buy some of their stock designs and see how they go. If good I'll give them some custom designs to do. Any info about them much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2019 Jan 14, 2019 10:09:32 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Default Re: Talked to F&M at show, good transfers?

They actually have a sample pack that you can order for free from them on the website to get a feel for how they print for you. I use them quite regularly as I enjoy the "Vintage" print that they have out. It is very soft feel, sometimes you can barely ever tell there's a print down from the feel.

Old January 14th, 2019 Jan 14, 2019 10:17:23 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oetees
They actually have a sample pack that you can order for free from them on the website to get a feel for how they print for you. I use them quite regularly as I enjoy the "Vintage" print that they have out. It is very soft feel, sometimes you can barely ever tell there's a print down from the feel.
Cool, thanks for letting me know. I do biker, patriotic and military designs mostly. Yeah the designs they had on display on shirts were very nice. Liked the solid vivid colors.

Old January 14th, 2019 Jan 14, 2019 10:23:19 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBill
Cool, thanks for letting me know. I do biker, patriotic and military designs mostly. Yeah the designs they had on display on shirts were very nice. Liked the solid vivid colors.
Definitely! I have played around with their single color 15 cent transfers, but I haven't had enough wash tests to really see how long they last, but the print looks really nice once it's down. I know their vintage lasts quite a while. I've had a shirt for about a year and it's still doing pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to oetees For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (January 14th, 2019)
Old January 14th, 2019 Jan 14, 2019 10:24:28 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBill
Our company uses both F&M and Versatrans. We love both. I think Versatrans paper is better, but they both work well.

The Following User Says Thank You to FatPrints For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (January 14th, 2019)
Old January 19th, 2019 Jan 19, 2019 9:02:37 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Well I bought a dozen different stock transfers they have, mostly biker designs. I have to say so far I'm disappointed. They are very thin, too thin. They feel like if I just rub my hand over them they will break.

Also, I'm in the middle of testing each design out right now, and two came out with a "bubble" at the edge. I can lift the damn transfer right up and peel it off. It's like there is nothing to hold it down.

And YES, I have a very good machine; hotronix fusion, correct temp, good pressure, hot peel. It's like I have experienced over and over and over, stock transfers from big companies just don't work.

Custom designs I know that have been made recently I never have a problem with. I will do the rest and throw them in the wash, but I already know I'd be scared to use them. I got several of the Marilyn Monroe designs and,,, ehhhh.

Old January 19th, 2019 Jan 19, 2019 9:38:26 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Edward
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

versatrans has been the best transfers in my testing,
get some free samples for testing

also proworld has stock transfers,
see if they have samples for you to test (i've not tested these)

Old January 19th, 2019 Jan 19, 2019 9:54:23 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the T
versatrans has been the best transfers in my testing,
get some free samples for testing

also proworld has stock transfers,
see if they have samples for you to test (i've not tested these)
I just got done all the designs. Two more had the old dried ink problem. I pressed 3 of the same designs each and every one had a spot or line that would not come out because the ink was dried out in those spots. Normally it's always black or blue ink.

I got some proworld stock transfers long ago, same problem. In fact when I tried to buy more the second time after talking to them they tested the ones I picked and told me not to buy them as they were no good. This was years ago mind you.

It's always the same story, stock transfers sitting on shelves for a year or more don't work. Every year I make Daytona Beach bike week shirts. Because they put the year of the event on each one they are always made fresh. Gotta buy 100 at a time.

They always peel like butter, no problems. I can keep them a year and still work well. Now, I can also buy NEW designs the stock transfer companies come out with and they work fine. Why? Because they made them recently.

I'm just surprised and shocked that so many companies keep selling thousands of transfer designs they MUST KNOW are no good. Rant over. I'll just stick to custom, new designs. Funny thing is the ones I buy that work so well are made by a surfer vape dude nobody knows about. I'll take his transfers over all the others any day.
into the T likes this.

Old January 19th, 2019 Jan 19, 2019 2:36:22 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I just started using F&M for 5 color prints (4CP plus underbase,) jobs which I had been turning down in the past, since I only have a four color press. I've done three fairly large jobs with their transfers so far and I'm pleased with the quality. I did a wash test on one and it was fine.

What I've learned from experimentation is that the temperature setting of your heat press makes a difference in the quality of the print. Too hot and it weakens the color. Better to do it at a lower temp for a longer time. All of a sudden what you thought was unacceptable turns out looking great.

What I like most is how fast I can get a job done. Last week I did 100 shirts in a little more than an hour. Even if I had the press capacity to do a 5-color print job, with all the flashing it would have taken all damn day! (I just work by myself...)

I'm going to use transfers from now on for 4-5 color jobs and save my press time for the more profitable short run 1-2 color stuff.

The big profit is when you can convince your customer to have the full-color print on the back and a one color small print on the left chest. That part I'll do myself and it adds $150 or so for a few hours more of work.
into the T likes this.

Last edited by Ripcord; January 19th, 2019 at 02:48 PM..

Old January 19th, 2019 Jan 19, 2019 2:51:46 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord
I just started using F&M for 5 color prints (4CP plus underbase,) jobs which I had been turning down in the past, since I only have a four color press. I've done three fairly large jobs with their transfers so far and I'm pleased with the quality. I did a wash test on one and it was fine.

What I've learned from experimentation is that the temperature setting of your heat press makes a difference in the quality of the print. Too hot and it weakens the color. Better to do it at a lower temp for a longer time. All of a sudden what you thought was unacceptable turns out looking great.

What I like most is how fast I can get a job done. Last week I did 100 shirts in a little more than an hour. Even if I had the press capacity to do a 5-color print job, with all the flashing it would have taken all damn day! (I just work by myself...)

I'm going to use transfers from now on for 4-5 color jobs and save my press time for the more profitable short run 1-2 color stuff.
Thanks for your input. I love how the colors came out with these. I just don't like how they do not stick to the shirt. I have attached a pic of one of the designs I did. I touched it up but it looks pretty much as you see it. I took the pic of it pressed onto a shirt.

However what you can't see in the pic is that all those tiny red points in the flourish are sticking out, they did not adhere to the shirt. I can take my fingers and pull them all out easy.

I even did a second press with parchment paper and they still did not stick. I have emailed them and asked if they would make me new fresh transfers of the stock designs I want using their better formats, as I see they have 4 or more "grades". I assume their stock transfers are made with their cheap grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike3.jpg (4.72 MB, 37 views)

Old January 20th, 2019 Jan 20, 2019 11:47:13 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

I just washed them all and threw them in the dryer too. I did not turn them inside out since customers won't. I was surprised to see they all look fine. Still don't have a good feeling about them however.

Old August 26th, 2019 Aug 26, 2019 6:08:58 PM -   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Rich

IMO...Versatrans and Transfer Express are the best transfers. Their quality and customer service is good to go. The only issues I've had is me (user error) in wrong temp and/or pressure. I also use Hotronix auto clam 16x20 press. I've tried F&M and they are ok. Versatrans and TE are my go to.

Old August 26th, 2019 Aug 26, 2019 6:26:15 PM -   #13 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAExpressions
IMO...Versatrans and Transfer Express are the best transfers. Their quality and customer service is good to go. The only issues I've had is me (user error) in wrong temp and/or pressure. I also use Hotronix auto clam 16x20 press. I've tried F&M and they are ok. Versatrans and TE are my go to.
Hey, thanks for the advice. Transfer Express only goes up to 11.25x14 inches sheets. I do biker designs for big denim biker shirts. So I need designs around 14 X 18.

I see Versatrans has a "normal" transfer and one called VersaColor. May I ask you which is better? Thanks.

Old August 26th, 2019 Aug 26, 2019 6:40:39 PM -   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Rich

I've only used the versacolor transfers. The colors are more vibrant and A++++ quality and durability. They are plastisol screen printed transfers. The EPT eliminator transfers are also excellent quality but have never used them. I have a local screen printer in my area that also uses heat press applications. He orders strictly through versatrans and has used the ept eliminator...A++++ quality as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to RAExpressions For This Useful Post:
BikerBill (August 26th, 2019)
Old August 26th, 2019 Aug 26, 2019 6:53:03 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAExpressions
I've only used the versacolor transfers. The colors are more vibrant and A++++ quality and durability. They are plastisol screen printed transfers. The EPT eliminator transfers are also excellent quality but have never used them. I have a local screen printer in my area that also uses heat press applications. He orders strictly through versatrans and has used the ept eliminator...A++++ quality as well.
Okay thank you. I will shoot them an email sometime about what is best for denim biker shirts. They are 100% cotton but denim style. I only have plain .jpg images to give them so I assume there will be a fee for converting it to proper format.

But after that I could easily buy 100 or so every few months for a dozen designs I have. Thanks again.

This is a discussion about Talked to F&M at show, good transfers? that was posted in the Plastisol Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in