T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Plastisol Transfers

Plastisol Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the many aspects of plastisol (screen printed) heat transfers. Topics include where to buy, how to put them on t-shirts, quality, pictures, stock (pre printed) transfers and more. Read the definition of a plastisol transfer here.

Plastisol and Vinyl on the same shirt?

Like Tree1Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 11:14:33 AM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Plastisol and Vinyl on the same shirt?

I am brand new to the shirt game, specifically heat pressing transfers. I am doing about 100 shirts for a close friends sports team. The text makes up most of the design so I was just going to use vinyl, however they want a small 3 color logo of their mascot over the text. I don’t have those capabilities currently. Is it possible or reasonable to do all the text in vinyl and then also press a small plastisol transfer logo of the mascot over it on the same shirt? Any help and or ideas would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 11:50:40 AM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Michele

Default Re: Plastisol and Vinyl on the same shirt?

That should not be a problem. I'm thinking that you would want to do the plastisol transfer first since that usually needs a higher temp, and firmer pressure.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 12:36:52 PM -  
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,490 Times in 2,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingMimi
That should not be a problem. I'm thinking that you would want to do the plastisol transfer first since that usually needs a higher temp, and firmer pressure.
He can't do the screen printed transfer first as it's applied over the vinyl.

You're probably going to have issues applying plastisol transfers over vinyl, and not just because of the temp difference.

You should consider designing the vinyl text with a cut out in the size and shape of the logo. Then you can apply the logo first, followed by carefully aligning the vinyl over the logo for your 2nd pressing. This assumes the vinyl has a lower temperature setting than the screen printed logo, which it should.

Alternatively, why not just make the whole design a screen printed transfer.-since you're going that route anyway? Makes your life a lot easier and the job finished a lot faster.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 1:13:31 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead

You're probably going to have issues applying plastisol transfers over vinyl, and not just because of the temp difference.

You should consider designing the vinyl text with a cut out in the size and shape of the logo. Then you can apply the logo first, followed by carefully aligning the vinyl over the logo for your 2nd pressing. This assumes the vinyl has a lower temperature setting than the screen printed logo, which it should.

Alternatively, why not just make the whole design a screen printed transfer.-since you're going that route anyway? Makes your life a lot easier and the job finished a lot faster.
Sorry I explained that poorly. The plastisol and the vinyl would not be layered. The logo would be above the text. So it does sound like I could apply the plastisol at a higher temp then add the vinyl below it at a lower temp.

Like I said I'm brand new so I'm open to suggestions but I was thinking that if I the text which is black and then add the 3 color logo above it would take up most of a sheet so I would be paying for 1 page 3 color. Where I could do the text on my own and get multiple sets per sheet of vinyl and then gang up multiple logos per plastisol sheet so I would have several per sheet at a 3 color price.

Is that crazy? Or should I just have the whole thing done in plastisol? I was thinking I would make less profit per item if I did it that way. Idk still getting advice and crunching numbers. Let me hear your thoughts

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 1:22:24 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead

Apparently I misunderstood -- I thought he meant that the plastisol transfer would be placed above the vinyl text. In any case, another option would be to order the mascot in a cad cut rather than plastisol so that both presses have similar temps and dwell times...that way it could be done as if you were pressing 2 colors of vinyl.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:07:57 PM -  
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Ed
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanked 1,183 Times in 1,103 Posts

Have you thought of having a custom transfer made for a single application? Lots of weeding with 100 shirts.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:11:08 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

What is a cad cut?

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:13:23 PM -  
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

It is another term for vinyl.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:16:41 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proworlded
Have you thought of having a custom transfer made for a single application? Lots of weeding with 100 shirts.
Im not exactly sure what that means. This is a trial by fire sort of thing for me. I will post some pics of what im working with. The font is super simple so im not overly concerned about how long the weeding will take. Its single color font.

But the bear head logo over it is like 4 colors potentially. So my worry is that if I do the whole design together as a transfer I will only get 1 per sheet at a 4 color rate. But if I gang up the logos together I can get several per 4 color sheet and then I can either do the font as a cheap one color with maybe 2 per page or I can just use vinyl and do it myself. Not real sure

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:24:02 PM -  
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

What is the size of the overall design?

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:25:47 PM -  
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Here are the designs I'm currently working with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UPIKE Mockup.JPG (27.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg UPIKE Bear Head.jpg (81.9 KB, 6 views)

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:31:16 PM -  
Sponsor
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Do you have a target price for a custom transfer? Keep in mind that it will save you hours of weeding and a 2 step application (vinyl/transfer).

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 4:39:12 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperry81
What is a cad cut?
I'm referring to a full color print on vinyl product. Most of the companies who do plastisol transfers also offer these. Most will send you samples so that you can test it out.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 8:37:08 PM -  
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

You can call me: Joe
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Thanked 2,490 Times in 2,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperry81
Here are the designs I'm currently working with.
Which transfer company are you planning on using? The design on the t-shirt is still gang-able. But of course you would need more transfers done than if you just ganged the bear image.

I guestimate that text on the shirt to be about 4 inches high. That's 33 linear feet of vinyl you'll need- costing $70?. As Ed said, weeding takes time. More time than you would even think it did. Probably 8 hours. Aligning and double pressing 100 shirts will add 2 to 3 extra hours than if you were doing just 1 pressing.

So the question is, does $70 plus 11 hours of labor cost less than the cost of doing everything with plastisol transfers?

You could also look at doing 2 separate orders of the plastisol transfers if the math comes out cheaper. A ganged 3 color bear and a separate ganged 1 color text transfer.

Old November 16th, 2018 Nov 16, 2018 8:55:22 PM -  
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Splathead has suggested good options for you. If I were doing an order of this size I would go plastisol too. Have your transfer supplier give you pricing for both ways -- one transfer with the bear and the text; and two transfers, one with just the bear and one with just the text.

This is a discussion about Plastisol and Vinyl on the same shirt? that was posted in the Plastisol Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in