What type of formula do you use to price your plastisol transfer shirts? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Plastisol Transfers

Plastisol Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the many aspects of plastisol (screen printed) heat transfers. Topics include where to buy, how to put them on t-shirts, quality, pictures, stock (pre printed) transfers and more. Read the definition of a plastisol transfer here.

What type of formula do you use to price your plastisol transfer shirts?

Like Tree8Likes

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old June 1st, 2015 Jun 1, 2015 11:15:42 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Danni
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default What type of formula do you use to price your plastisol transfer shirts?

Hello everyone!
I will be using plastisol transfers from Transfer Express using their Idea Book templates and I will be using Seay Graphics for custom artwork. I was considering using the keystone markup but I am not 100% sure if I want to do that.
Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2015 Jun 1, 2015 7:53:27 PM -   #2 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default Re: What type of formula do you use to price your plastisol transfer shirts?

On transfers I charge cost + labor.

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 5:43:40 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

You can call me: Joe

Default Re: What type of formula do you use to price your plastisol transfer shirts?

I'm not sure what you mean by "...the keystone markup" but what I do -- and what was recommended by Transfer Express -- is to add the cost of the blank tee to the cost per transfer and multiply by 2. This gives me a good starting point and I will adjust up or down accordingly.

So, if I am making 50 shirts using a 2 color design from Transfer Express, I would have the per item charges as:

$1.90 for a Gildan Ultra Cotton tee (for example)
$3.22 for a 2-color print from Transfer Express, assuming no ganging and buying 50 sheets

$1.90 + $3.22 = $5.12 x 2 = $10.24

Possible prices would include $10, $10.50, $11, or $12.
davidmarks likes this.

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 6:41:25 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleampark
I'm not sure what you mean by "...the keystone markup" but what I do -- is to add the cost of the blank tee to the cost per transfer and multiply by 2.
That's the exact definition of Keystone Markup.
socceronly likes this.

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 9:52:23 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by splathead
That's the exact definition of Keystone Markup.
Really?!?! I've never heard that before...

Well, I guess it's true what They say: "You learn something new every day."
danni214 likes this.

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 10:47:34 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormil
On transfers I charge cost + labor.
Hey, how much do you charge for labor?

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 10:54:04 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

splathead's Avatar  - this member was voted Most Helpful Member during our Annual August Member Appreciation Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni214
You first have to determine a value of your time. How much do you have to make to pay the bills, and make a profit. $50 an hour? $100?

Then you determine how much a specific job will take you to complete so you can move on to another one. If the value of your time is $100 and the job will take 30 minutes, then your labor charge is $50.

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 10:56:30 AM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleampark
I'm not sure what you mean by "...the keystone markup" but what I do -- and what was recommended by Transfer Express -- is to add the cost of the blank tee to the cost per transfer and multiply by 2. This gives me a good starting point and I will adjust up or down accordingly.

So, if I am making 50 shirts using a 2 color design from Transfer Express, I would have the per item charges as:

$1.90 for a Gildan Ultra Cotton tee (for example)
$3.22 for a 2-color print from Transfer Express, assuming no ganging and buying 50 sheets

$1.90 + $3.22 = $5.12 x 2 = $10.24

Possible prices would include $10, $10.50, $11, or $12.
Hey, I was thinking about doing that but when I set my prices and did a little competitors research online... My prices were considerably higher than my competitors.

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 11:04:32 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
You first have to determine a value of your time. How much do you have to make to pay the bills, and make a profit. $50 an hour? $100?

Then you determine how much a specific job will take you to complete so you can move on to another one. If the value of your time is $100 and the job will take 30 minutes, then your labor charge is $50.
I will be using the ultimate pricing calculator from imprintables warehouse for my vinyl work and I have learned that my operating cost per hour is $31.33 should that be how much I value my time?

Old June 2nd, 2015 Jun 2, 2015 11:06:09 AM -   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

Quote:
Hey, I was thinking about doing that but when I set my prices and did a little competitors research online... My prices were considerably higher than my competitors.
That's the rub. The larger your competitor, the harder it is for you to compete with them. Especially just starting out. And if you do come down to their pricing, you may not be in business very long.

It's always good to know what your competitors are doing, but not always smart to follow their lead. There are other ways to attract customers besides price; marketing and and then servicing the hell out of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to splathead For This Useful Post:
Kevb (June 6th, 2015)
Old June 4th, 2015 Jun 4, 2015 10:37:17 AM -   #11 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Robert

My shop does a lot of these orders. We price based on customink or other large online custom sites. These end up being very easy orders for us. I don't think I could justify to our customers why they should pay more than they'd pay on one of those sites, but if you can, power to you.

Old June 4th, 2015 Jun 4, 2015 11:44:04 AM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Quote:
I charge per press. Keeps things simple. For numbers I charge per press + a fee per number (because I strongly, strongly discourage people from bringing numbers to me, I'd rather use my vinyl cutter). So basically I build all my profit into labor charges. What that number will be to you is something you'll have to figure out. Start with a couple bucks per press and adjust accordingly. That is pricing for a dozen or more shirts. For less than a dozen, I may charge more.

Old June 4th, 2015 Jun 4, 2015 1:19:48 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

You can call me: Neal

In our shop I figure all costs into overhead: rent, insurance, water, electricity, advertising, and total labor all the employees and myself on a monthly basis. Divide that by 200 (hours the shop is open a month. Now I know what my true cost per hour is to run my shop. Divide that by the number of employees you have and you know what your true per hour shop cost is. Figure cost of material for the job and time it takes to make it times your shop cost and double it. That will give you a true keystone mark up. Most shops do not take into account all their costs. By analyzing your true shop costs you can figure out how to and where to save money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artistic Impress For This Useful Post:
danni214 (June 4th, 2015), Kevb (June 6th, 2015)
Old June 4th, 2015 Jun 4, 2015 2:33:16 PM -   #14 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
And if you do come down to their pricing, you may not be in business very long.

It's always good to know what your competitors are doing, but not always smart to follow their lead. There are other ways to attract customers besides price; marketing and and then servicing the hell out of them.
Thank you very much! I needed to hear that!

Old June 7th, 2015 Jun 7, 2015 7:55:05 PM -   #15 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Hello, everyone! I got my 1st real t shirt order! It's a 150 shirt order for a summer program, I am equally excited as I am nervous. I hope I don't mess up.

This is a discussion about What type of formula do you use to price your plastisol transfer shirts? that was posted in the Plastisol Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in