T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Plastisol Transfers

Plastisol Transfer Category Sponsor

Discuss the many aspects of plastisol (screen printed) heat transfers. Topics include where to buy, how to put them on t-shirts, quality, pictures, stock (pre printed) transfers and more. Read the definition of a plastisol transfer here.

Plastisol Transfers.. Attempting to print them! Advice?

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old January 14th, 2015 Jan 14, 2015 4:09:59 PM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Plastisol Transfers.. Attempting to print them! Advice?

I am attempting to print plastisol transfers. I am using 15x15 premium hot peel papers, adhesion powder, a standard white plastisol ink, 110 mesh screens, and a Vastex DB-30 and a 16x16 flash.

My technique (so far):

Burn mirrored graphic in 110 mesh screen with a 2/2 coat.

Setup on press with white plastisol ink.

Send papers through the dryer to remove moisture and account for any shrinkage.

Load paper on pallet and print with about 1/4" off contact, flash, and print a second time. (flood, print, flash, flood, print)

Add adhesion powder to the transfer being sure to cover the entire design. Dump extra off and tap to remove residue.

Send the transfer through the dryer. My dryer is set at 6" height and belt speed of 50. This keeps the transfers in the chamber for approx. 5 second and they reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

(When transfer cools I can pick at the edge of the design and peel it off as one solid rubber/film piece.)

The PROBLEM: When I press the designs at 340-350F with medium pressure for 8-10 seconds, as stated by Ryonet for their papers, the image does not bond fully to the garment. After the garment cools I can scratch/rub the image and get it to flake or peel up off of the garment! I am using a DK20S so im sure its not a problem with the press.

Any ideas or tips??

Last edited by Imagine It Vinyl; January 14th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 14th, 2015 Jan 14, 2015 5:32:06 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default Re: Plastisol Transfers.. Attempting to print them! Advice?

You are getting them too hot in the dryer. Ink should only reach about 270. Try turning down heat or increasing height of heat element.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using T-Shirt Forums

Old January 14th, 2015 Jan 14, 2015 6:03:11 PM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1213
You are getting them too hot in the dryer. Ink should only reach about 270. Try turning down heat or increasing height of heat element.

My height setting is as high as it will go. Is it possible to get the ink not hot enough? As long as it is not wet to the touch it should be fine? I can speed the belt up even faster but im almost certain that only the face of the ink will be dry, the middle and bottom where it joins the paper would still be wet.

Old January 15th, 2015 Jan 15, 2015 5:05:50 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

As long as it's dry to the touch you are fine. The heat press will final cure the ink. When I first started transfers it was a process. I would play with my setting..apply transfer and then wash test them. That truly is the only way you will find your thresholds. If you want to pm me I can give you my number and I will walk you through it and answer any other questions you have. Trial and error.

Old January 17th, 2015 Jan 17, 2015 8:15:33 PM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Rick
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Nailing down the heat/time is the hard part of making transfers, everything else is easy if you already know how to print. Also 1/4" offset is a lot, especially for paper. If your screens are tight you should be down around 3/32".

Old January 18th, 2015 Jan 18, 2015 6:22:24 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Master

You can call me: Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormil
Nailing down the heat/time is the hard part of making transfers, everything else is easy if you already know how to print. Also 1/4" offset is a lot, especially for paper. If your screens are tight you should be down around 3/32".
I agree, the off contact is high. Maybe okay for single color but when you get to multi you will have some registration problems.

I dont even run them through the dryer. I just print, powder, and let sit under flash while I print the next one. It gets dry to touch and is fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using T-Shirt Forums

Old January 18th, 2015 Jan 18, 2015 10:34:12 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormil
I will certainly give it a try with lower off contact. That could very well be the problem I have been having with getting my overprint to line up with my underbase.

This is a discussion about Plastisol Transfers.. Attempting to print them! Advice? that was posted in the Plastisol Transfers section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in