Why is my ink stringy - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Why is my ink stringy

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 8:41:34 AM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Why is my ink stringy

Alright, I'm not a total noob here. Been screen printing for 10 years part time as part of a general graphics company. Rarely do I get stringy ink issues when using plastisol but this job has worked me over...

Printing with Lava Perfect White on 50/50 tees. I am getting strings of ink that look attached to various fibers in the tees. I have tried thinning the ink in different ways, even tried a few runs with zero thinning of the ink... no apparent difference. I tried 2 different brands of 50/50 tees with the same result, however it didn't appear to do it to cotton tees at all.

Considered static so printed at different times of day, thinking humidity might affect it. Didn't seem to change.... then tried throwing a lil silicone spray on it... no change.

Sorta stumped here. Is it a static issue? Ink brand, off contact....?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 8:54:53 AM -   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Default Re: Why is my ink stringy

This may be a dumb answer but I have used Lava on several runs and I found that I have to modulate the crap out of it (which I'm sure you have already done). Also once it starts getting warmer in my print shop I find it gets less stringy. Not sure if I helped at all but good luck and hope you find some answers!

Ferin

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 9:01:06 AM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8bomb
This may be a dumb answer but I have used Lava on several runs and I found that I have to modulate the crap out of it (which I'm sure you have already done). Also once it starts getting warmer in my print shop I find it gets less stringy. Not sure if I helped at all but good luck and hope you find some answers!

Ferin
I have had my ups and downs with Lava. They are amazingly quick to deliver and good customer service, but every color has it's own learning curve.

Curious what you mean that you had to modulate the crap out of it, if you don't mind going into more detail

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 9:18:34 AM -   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Well tried posting a pic but doesn't appear to like my photobucket link...

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 9:19:52 AM -   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I have found that to be true as well! Some batches I get are amazing and go on smooth and others I have to make several adjustments. Modulate meaning stir the crap out of it. I watch a lot of Ryonet videos on youtube and he uses that word. He says that gets the ink properties flowing nicely and should help with any inconsistencies. So I always start there (stirring the crap out of it).

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 9:23:27 AM -   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8bomb
I have found that to be true as well! Some batches I get are amazing and go on smooth and others I have to make several adjustments. Modulate meaning stir the crap out of it. I watch a lot of Ryonet videos on youtube and he uses that word. He says that gets the ink properties flowing nicely and should help with any inconsistencies. So I always start there (stirring the crap out of it).
I figured but just checking... I'll keep dabbling with this and different thicknesses. Feeling like a dummy today haha

Old April 10th, 2019 Apr 10, 2019 10:07:01 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

I have those days more often than I'd like to admit! Good luck! Sorry I wasn't more help!

This is a discussion about Why is my ink stringy that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in