Best Low Cure/Low Bleed Plastisol? - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

Best Low Cure/Low Bleed Plastisol?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By numbercruncher

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2019 Mar 13, 2019 11:20:37 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default Best Low Cure/Low Bleed Plastisol?

I print a lot of nylon jackets and sometimes have problems with dye migration with certain brands. Iíve tried One Stroke ELT-X White and Gold, and that ink works great with smooth viscosity and good opacity, but itís pretty expensive ($135 per gallon!) and ordering in bulk doesnít garner much of a discount. So when that gallon ran out, I tried ICC Paramount White (I use a lot of ICC inks), as it was described as having a creamy, smooth consistency. However, nothing could be further from the truth... This stuff is almost as thick as modeling clay, and it has a short pot-life when catalyst is added. Also, I found its opacity to be slightly less than the ELT-X.

Rather than take another shot in the dark and order yet another brand of low bleed ink, I thought Iíd find out what the consensus is here...

So, whatís your favorite bleed resistant ink for printing on nylon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2019 Mar 14, 2019 8:39:07 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Michael

Default Re: Best Low Cure/Low Bleed Plastisol?

Not sure why one would need bleed resistant(lo-bleed) for printing on nylon...have things changed - sure a bonding agent may be required depending on the ink you are using...

Old March 14th, 2019 Mar 14, 2019 11:30:56 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mad Scientist
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

"Good", "Better", and "Best" inks are all subjective to the user and the intended printing process and expected outcome. Personally, I would spend the extra money on the ink you have used, have had success with, and like to print because your product quality will have your expected outcome. You'll be happy & your customer will be happy. Besides, you should be selling the print with enough profit to order your supplies as you run out. If the cost is an issue, then you need to charge more for your prints with that ink. Otherwise, you aren't making enough profit to make it worth while.

Old March 15th, 2019 Mar 15, 2019 10:42:56 AM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbercruncher
Not sure why one would need bleed resistant(lo-bleed) for printing on nylon...have things changed - sure a bonding agent may be required depending on the ink you are using...
It depends on the manufacturer/brand. Some brands are more prone to dye migration than others. We have our own brand (manufactured in China) that has never caused me any problems with dye migration, but we only get a shipment about twice a year. If we start running out of stock before the next shipment arrives, we have to substitute with another brand, which has awful dye migration. Iíve tried to get them to buy a different brand (Iím not the owner, I just run the screen printing department), but they say they canít find one thatís as cost effective. We also have some large accounts who insist on a particular brand that they happen to like... They donít have to care about dye migration, so the onus is on me to make it work.

Old March 15th, 2019 Mar 15, 2019 10:56:22 AM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Grafix
"Good", "Better", and "Best" inks are all subjective to the user and the intended printing process and expected outcome. Personally, I would spend the extra money on the ink you have used, have had success with, and like to print because your product quality will have your expected outcome. You'll be happy & your customer will be happy. Besides, you should be selling the print with enough profit to order your supplies as you run out. If the cost is an issue, then you need to charge more for your prints with that ink. Otherwise, you aren't making enough profit to make it worth while.
Yes, all things are subjective. What I meant was; what bleed resistant/low cure ink works best for you?

I thought it was a simple enough question... I donít recall asking for business advice, or a lesson in semantics. But thanks for responding.

Old March 18th, 2019 Mar 18, 2019 10:15:18 AM -   #6 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

So there’s nobody here who can recommend a low-cure, dye resistant ink?

Old March 21st, 2019 Mar 21, 2019 8:24:26 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Checked with a couple of ink people - they wanted to know be sure you were talking about bleed from NYLON fabrics as the question lends itself more to Polyester apparel. When it comes to Nylon I was always a fan of One Stroke as it had great adhesion and durability. As nylon products added lycra/spandex to the fabric mix - ink manufacturers formulated special Nylon inks that enabled the ability to successfully screen print on multi-direction stretching substrates.
All manufacturers would recommend you test first as there are many variables that may affect the process...so what works for one may not for another.
Mosstone likes this.

Old March 21st, 2019 Mar 21, 2019 1:12:42 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbercruncher
Checked with a couple of ink people - they wanted to know be sure you were talking about bleed from NYLON fabrics as the question lends itself more to Polyester apparel. When it comes to Nylon I was always a fan of One Stroke as it had great adhesion and durability. As nylon products added lycra/spandex to the fabric mix - ink manufacturers formulated special Nylon inks that enabled the ability to successfully screen print on multi-direction stretching substrates.
All manufacturers would recommend you test first as there are many variables that may affect the process...so what works for one may not for another.
Thanks, NC. Yes, it is nylon windbreakers that have been giving me trouble with dye migration. I typically have no problems with nylon either. Itís just this one brand, and the owner wonít buy anything else when we run out of our house brand.

The bulk of our screen printing business consists mostly of nylon jackets (of various types) and pique and dry-fit polo shirts (we have a niche market, catering mostly to the security industry and law enforcement). Ideally, Iíd like to use one white for everything, and I like the One Stroke ELT-X, but the owner canít justify paying over $50 more per gallon of ink than we usually do, and I canít blame him. Thatís a significant increase in cost for the volume that weííll be using, and simply raising our prices is not an answer.

Iíve tried the low-cure ink by International Coatings (I usually use their 900 series ink for nylon) and it works well at blocking dye migration, but the viscosity isnít nearly as ďsmooth and creamyĒ as they described it. Itís pretty tough to print without adding reducer, or soft-hand additive, and thatís not a routine I want to have to go through for every order.

I was going to try another brand, but I thought Iíd get some opinions first before continuing with the trial and error approach. I donít even have problems with dye migration on our [i]polyester[i] shirts, so itís not something Iíve had to think about for a while. Iím kinda surprised at the lack of recommendations, though. Itís been my experience that if an ink will prevent dye migration on polyester, it will do the same on nylon. The mechanism is the same. The ink cures before the substrate gets hot enough for the dye to off-gas.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mosstone For This Useful Post:
numbercruncher (March 22nd, 2019)
Old March 22nd, 2019 Mar 22, 2019 7:44:10 AM -   #9 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Thanks for all the info and reply. Wish I could be of more help but as you can tell I sell screen printing equipment now and not supplies. One side note (from the old days) as we received various sources of nylon and polyester apparel - at times we added a little puff additive. As you have likely figured out, athletic uniforms and apparel was our market.

This is a discussion about Best Low Cure/Low Bleed Plastisol? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in