Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink? - T-Shirt Forums
 

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?





Site Navigation








+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.



Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

 
Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old February 28th, 2019 Feb 28, 2019 3:41:44 PM -   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

flip_mctapper's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

I read somewhere that some people use alternative cleaner to clean their ink off the screens. I thought saw someone said citrus cleaner and something to do with soy cleaner? Could someone give me more specifics on this?
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 28th, 2019 Feb 28, 2019 5:32:24 PM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Twisted Grafix's Avatar
 
You can call me: Mad Scientist
Member Since: Oct 2016
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

The soy stuff is from FranMar. We use their stuff and it works great. No odors, and always rinses clean. We can get away with 50%-75% less chemicals per screen compared to other brands. I HIGHLY recommend them.
 
Old June 11th, 2019 Jun 11, 2019 10:12:57 PM -   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Emilio2000's Avatar
 
You can call me: Emilio
Member Since: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

I have used FranMar's "Inkee Doo" and "Color Change - On Press" for years. They are both soy based and they work great. Also, they are environmentally friendly. And they don't smell.
 
 
Old June 11th, 2019 Jun 11, 2019 11:18:21 PM -   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Unlike most people, I actually read the SDS ...

FranMar's "Inkee Doo" is obviously 88-95% Diethylene glycol butyl ether and a bit of Limonene.
Not less toxic than plain old Turpentine (aka Mineral Spirits or White spirit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine
I personally use whatever is easier to source, but always in a well ventilated place.
 
The Following User Says Thank You to TABOB For This Useful Post:
Emilio2000 (June 12th, 2019)
Old June 13th, 2019 Jun 13, 2019 4:39:14 AM -   #5 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sben763's Avatar
 
You can call me: Sean
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,098
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 204
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Unlike most people, I actually read the SDS ...

FranMar's "Inkee Doo" is obviously 88-95% Diethylene glycol butyl ether and a bit of Limonene.
Not less toxic than plain old Turpentine (aka Mineral Spirits or White spirit).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine
I personally use whatever is easier to source, but always in a well ventilated place.
You are comparing a pad ink remover to a plastisol remover. Pad ink is solvent and will always be more toxic.

The Franmar product is Beanedoo and contains 85% soy methyl ester which is derived from soy beans. Read the correct SDS. Not all their products are safe but thE plastisol ink remover is safer then most. Still recommend safety precautions should be taken no matter what your using.

Just in the case of water based inks. Everyone thinks their safe but many cases the contain more toxic substances then plastisol and can cause more harm to environment due to most not using a degrader which will allow the water treatment plants to remove the dyes otherwise they can pass right though and into the discharge.
__________________
"Expecting the world to be fair just cause you are fair to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you just cause you don't eat lion"
 
Old June 13th, 2019 Jun 13, 2019 4:41:31 AM -   #6 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sben763's Avatar
 
You can call me: Sean
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,098
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 204
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio2000
I have used FranMar's "Inkee Doo" and "Color Change - On Press" for years. They are both soy based and they work great. Also, they are environmentally friendly. And they don't smell.
I’m thinking your using beanedoo for plastisol. Inkedoo2 is for pad printing.

Color change is derived from corn alcohol.
__________________
"Expecting the world to be fair just cause you are fair to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you just cause you don't eat lion"
 
Old June 13th, 2019 Jun 13, 2019 8:33:02 AM -   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
You are comparing a pad ink remover to a plastisol remover. Pad ink is solvent and will always be more toxic.

The Franmar product is Beanedoo and contains 85% soy methyl ester which is derived from soy beans. Read the correct SDS. Not all their products are safe but thE plastisol ink remover is safer then most. Still recommend safety precautions should be taken no matter what your using.

Just in the case of water based inks. Everyone thinks their safe but many cases the contain more toxic substances then plastisol and can cause more harm to environment due to most not using a degrader which will allow the water treatment plants to remove the dyes otherwise they can pass right though and into the discharge.
OK... https://products.franmar.com/product...nk-remover-rvo
A bit less flammable but obviously just as toxic.
By the way, Turpentine is derived from tree resin .
In reality "non-toxic" plastisol solvents are unicorns... They don't exist.

You are right about the water-based inks... They ere not safer than plastisol.


French fries are not safe either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acryla...d_health_risks

All we can do obviously is limit the exposure, and work on a well ventilated environment.
Turpentine works well, it's cheap, and easy to find... so it will do for me.
 
Old June 13th, 2019 Jun 13, 2019 1:20:56 PM -   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Member

Emilio2000's Avatar
 
You can call me: Emilio
Member Since: Jun 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
I’m thinking your using beanedoo for plastisol. Inkedoo2 is for pad printing.

Color change is derived from corn alcohol.

Ah, yes, you are right. All these cute names like Inkee Doo and Beanedoo sound similar.



But, I must say that I have used some chemical solvents for cleanup that smelled horribly, while the FranMar products are really nice to work with.
 
Old June 14th, 2019 Jun 14, 2019 4:15:06 AM -   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio2000
But, I must say that I have used some chemical solvents for cleanup that smelled horribly, while the FranMar products are really nice to work with.

UK: Wickes or B&Q White Spirit (Low Odour) - around £4.50 for 2L.

USA: Klean-Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits - around $10 per gallon.


Then go have a Pizza and few beers...
 
Old June 14th, 2019 Jun 14, 2019 4:29:28 PM -   #10 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sben763's Avatar
 
You can call me: Sean
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,098
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 204
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
UK: Wickes or B&Q White Spirit (Low Odour) - around £4.50 for 2L.

USA: Klean-Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits - around $10 per gallon.


Then go have a Pizza and few beers...
And then go to the hospital and get what ever disease you’ve contracted diagnosed. You are completely wrong here.

I gotta caution anyone reading this simply using toxic chemicals over the proper methods is harmful to you and the environment. Not all ink cleaners are as friendly as the Franmar or other enviro products. Attached is the 2 “mineral spirts” sds sheets or the UK equivalent in specific areas that count I’ll try to add the Franmar version of the same area but since on iPad usually limits to 2 pics so might be posted below. Simply google and compare to come to you own conclusion. In some locations this is also illegal.

Mineral spirts are toxic to aquatic life and is not fully removed at waste treatment plants so any that goes down the drain some will end up in a river or stream discharge. Proper ink cleaners simply do not just clean ink. Most starts break down process that allows the waste water treatment plants remove ink and remover from discharge.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3EC5C105-BEC9-4458-ABB4-D4A2E605CBFD.png (761.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png 289C5379-2812-4099-B663-9CE513FE70A1.png (692.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png 029DD718-CC74-420D-8AE2-0EBA4FF7E221.png (272.9 KB, 5 views)
__________________
"Expecting the world to be fair just cause you are fair to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you just cause you don't eat lion"
 
Old June 14th, 2019 Jun 14, 2019 5:59:49 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
Mineral spirts are toxic to aquatic life and is not fully removed at waste treatment plants so any that goes down the drain some will end up in a river or stream discharge. Proper ink cleaners simply do not just clean ink. Most starts break down process that allows the waste water treatment plants remove ink and remover from discharge.
Delusions...
All fuels and oils are toxic to aquatic life in large quantities.
Franmar's Plastisol Remover is basically Soy methyl ester (AKA Biodiesel) with a bit or ethoxylated alcohol surfactant (probably polyethylene glycol).
It is less flammable than mineral spirits, but otherwise the same mild level of toxicity. As I said... Acrylamide found in French fries is much more toxic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15062019-000437.jpg (182.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 15062019-000434.jpg (127.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 15062019-000436.jpg (68.7 KB, 6 views)
 
Old June 14th, 2019 Jun 14, 2019 7:41:13 PM -   #12 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sben763's Avatar
 
You can call me: Sean
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,098
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 204
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
Delusions...
All fuels and oils are toxic to aquatic life in large quantities.
Franmar's Plastisol Remover is basically Soy methyl ester (AKA Biodiesel) with a bit or ethoxylated alcohol surfactant (probably polyethylene glycol).
It is less flammable than mineral spirits, but otherwise the same mild level of toxicity. As I said... Acrylamide found in French fries is much more toxic.
As I said mineral spirts doesn’t get removed in the sewage plants completely. Soy methyl ester is completely removed and not discharged after being introduced to surfactants at the sewage plant which beanedoo contains a proprietary surfactant that starts the process. This is where I have the aquatic life concerns. Just about any chemicals directly introduced in water is toxic to fish and plants.

In a lot of locals you can not legally put mineral spirts down the drain. Franmar as well as many other are 100% drain safe and 100% biodegradable. Mineral sprints were at one time the chemical of choice for screen cleaning but today there are better options and maybe you glove up, wear a respirator or at least take enough precautions to keep you safe and it recommend with any chemicals as no one know all the effects any chemicals can possibly cause but it is known that mineral spirts make it to the discharge so may not be hurting you but it is somewhere down the line.

There are other concerns with mineral spirts that you don’t have with soy methyl ester.
Acute exposure can lead to central nervous system depression and damage, several hours of skin exposure can cause chemical burn.

Soy methyl ester contains 1g/l of volatile organic compounds. Mineral spirts have 760 g/l. Low voc is considered 150 g/l so sprits are 4x higher the the 150 where as soy methyl ester is 149 x lower.
__________________
"Expecting the world to be fair just cause you are fair to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you just cause you don't eat lion"
 
Old June 15th, 2019 Jun 15, 2019 6:14:10 AM -   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
This is where I have the aquatic life concerns.
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Soy methyl ester is toxic to aquatic life. Obvious from the SDS. Yes, it is biodegradable (after a month), but the plastisol you will be dissolving with it is not. It's not something you should be putting down the drain.

The surfactant in FranMar's "Inkee Doo" is not a biodegradation agent. It is an emulsifier to help dissolve plastisol inks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
Acute exposure can lead to central nervous system depression and damage, several hours of skin exposure can cause chemical burn..
Put FranMar's "Inkee Doo" on your skin for a few hours and see what happens.

There are no "safe" plastisol solvents. Wear gloves and work in a well ventilated environment.
 
Old June 15th, 2019 Jun 15, 2019 9:21:25 AM -   #14 (permalink)
TSF Veteran
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

sben763's Avatar
 
You can call me: Sean
Member Since: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 8,098
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 204
Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,472 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABOB
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.
Soy methyl ester is toxic to aquatic life. Obvious from the SDS. Yes, it is biodegradable (after a month), but the plastisol you will be dissolving with it is not. It's not something you should be putting down the drain.

The surfactant in FranMar's "Inkee Doo" is not a biodegradation agent. It is an emulsifier to help dissolve plastisol inks.


Put FranMar's "Inkee Doo" on your skin for a few hours and see what happens.

There are no "safe" plastisol solvents. Wear gloves and work in a well ventilated environment.
1 more time. Soy methyl ester is toxic to aquatic life when introduced as well as mineral spirts. When either goes down the drain here is where the difference is. Soy methyl ester a plant based solvent can be removed by surfactants which is normally bacteria and or chemical and turn to a solid that is removed and then incinerated or to a solid waste landfill where it will biodegrade the plastisol will not. Mineral spirts a petroleum based solvent can kill the bacteria or neutralize chemicals allowing some to pass on to the discharge. In large quantities this can cause the treatment plant to discharge other contaminates if testing isn’t completed on every discharge as the surfactants may not be able to complete the job or cause the treatment plant to have to double treat before discharge.

Franmar product in their 15% proprietary portion contains a surfactant to help with conversion to solids and a emulsifier to make water soluble. The surfactants are very noticeable if you run a solid waste trap like me.

Never said plastisol is biodegrade and as little should enter the drain as possible. The other problem here is most throw their rags in the trash and then to the landfill. I’ve traveled to many states and many shops and in some locals like Minnesota (maybe on a county or city basis) throwing empty containers into the trash is considered hazardous waste and is illegal. Meet a guy who showed me they bake the empty containers in a vented oven so that the plasticizers are converted and no longer a hazardous material. A guy in North Carolina was denied a business permit because he was too close to a major water source and had to find a new location to open his shop. Other places make have solid waste trap or other precautions but many areas no regulations at all like our area. I’ve taken many tips and tricks from other areas and practice as clean as possible in a very dirty industry.

I run all my rags, containers and the solid sludge from solid waste trap though conveyor dryer in baking pans before disposal.

I wouldn’t put inkedoo on my hands as previously mentioned that was a mistake and that product is intended for solvent pad printing ink. I have had the beanedoo which is the product was being mentioned and has changed name to simple plastisol ink remover on my hands for long period of time (NOT RECOMMENDED) with not even skin irritation. As when I first started I didn’t wear gloves or take many precautions. Today I glove up. Wear a respirator when power washing screens and put a vent in the washout booth.
__________________
"Expecting the world to be fair just cause you are fair to them is like expecting a lion not to eat you just cause you don't eat lion"
 
Old June 15th, 2019 Jun 15, 2019 11:54:14 AM -   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
T-Shirt Mogul


TABOB's Avatar
 
You can call me: Bob
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 127 Times in 122 Posts


Default Re: Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
Franmar product in their 15% proprietary portion contains a surfactant to help with conversion to solids and a emulsifier to make water soluble.
You are obviously confusing surfactants with coagulants.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
Mineral spirts a petroleum based solvent can kill the bacteria or neutralize chemicals allowing some to pass on to the discharge. In large quantities this can cause the treatment plant to discharge other contaminates
Only if you purposely pour gallons of the stuff down the drain. Pouring an equal amount of soy methyl ester down the drain will do more harm, as it does not evaporate like mineral spirits do. Normal use of mineral spirits is not a significant hazard to the environment, and this is why they are so widely used.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sben763
Meet a guy who showed me they bake the empty containers in a vented oven so that the plasticizers are converted and no longer a hazardous material.
You misunderstood. Uncured paint is a leak hazard. Liquid paint can leak from the garbage truck and end up splattered all over the street. That's all there is to it.
 






This is a discussion about Alternative Cleaner for Plastisol Ink? that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.


Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)
.

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red ink leaving pigments on white ink after wash divers2deep Plastisol Ink Screen Printing 5 January 16th, 2017 08:02 AM
Decent Discharge ink available in the UK (Preferably) CrookedCartoon Water Based Ink Screen Printing 23 June 4th, 2015 02:12 PM
Cobra Ink Profile confusion freebird1963 Dye Sublimation 3 May 28th, 2015 02:02 AM
Printing white ink on New Balance 100% poly fine mesh shirts IntegriTees4life T shirt Printing Issues 4 December 17th, 2014 05:10 PM
[Brother GT-782] white ink alternative wofford59 Brother 0 October 6th, 2014 08:16 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 T-ShirtForums.com. All rights reserved.