white so thick - T-Shirt Forums

Hi, Unregistered. | Today's Posts

T-Shirt Forums
User Name
Password

Register Today For Free!

Forgot Your Password?

Site Navigation

+   T-Shirt Forums > T-Shirt Industry Information > Screen Printing > Plastisol Ink Screen Printing
Discuss the different plastisol screen printing inks and curing methods on the market. Share tips on getting the best results with the different ink manufacturers.

white so thick

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Twisted Grafix
  • 1 Post By Ripcord
  • 1 Post By Ripcord

Share This Thread Thread Tools
Old November 17th, 2018 Nov 17, 2018 7:31:58 AM -   #1 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Default white so thick

why does White have to be so thick & can u even use it without reducing it first?? Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2018 Nov 17, 2018 8:38:07 AM -   #2 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Mad Scientist

Default Re: white so thick

White ink needs to be thicker for opacity. The brand of ink and type of ink will vary between whites. Low cure is usually stiffer than a general purpose. Yes, you can use it without reducing first. We use 230-280 mesh for white on about 99% of our prints with ink right out of the bucket on a manual press. What white ink are you trying to use?

Old November 20th, 2018 Nov 20, 2018 4:15:59 AM -   #3 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Dave
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I was just going to ask this question. when i first started I bought some white from ryonet and it worked perfect, easy to apply and dry. I reoreded the "New" white when it was gone and the replacement they sent was so think it would not go through a 125 mesh. I tossed that and bought another "New to replace the new" and it will not print at all it goes on like chalk and you have to use so much pressure on a 125 screen that the second print after the flash almost always pulls the registration out.

I always use a mixer to mix and agitate the ink before using.

So what white are you all using that is print ready?

I am sure this is like asking a bunch of race car drivers what type of oil to put in a car, but hopefully it will lead me somewhere.

Old November 20th, 2018 Nov 20, 2018 12:06:50 PM -   #4 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

QCM Creamy Glacier White or Wilflex Amazing Bright White II are our "go to" general purpose whites. We stir a little by hand then use right out of the bucket as-is on 230-280 all day long on a manual press.
speshoot likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Twisted Grafix For This Useful Post:
speshoot (November 21st, 2018)
Old November 20th, 2018 Nov 20, 2018 1:26:30 PM -   #5 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Fan

You can call me: Voy

I use Rutland Street Fighter white. It's inexpensive and works great. Creamy and opaque. Mixing it w/ a drill makes it real easy to work with.

Old November 20th, 2018 Nov 20, 2018 5:38:33 PM -   #6 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Takes more practice than dark ink. I have a video coming out tomorrow (been awhile since I did one...)

Slow down your stroke, use a steeper squeegee angle, work the ink well with the squeegee and use a hot flash to warm up the pallets. It'll start flowing after a few minutes. And if you're still not happy with the consistency, don't hesitate to reduce it a little bit.
speshoot likes this.

Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 8:12:27 AM -   #7 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Grafix
QCM Creamy Glacier White.
wow thats the exact one i have! was trying to upload a pic but couldnt! lol..well if it works for u it should work for me huh Lol!

Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 12:10:32 PM -   #8 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by speshoot
wow thats the exact one i have! was trying to upload a pic but couldnt! lol..well if it works for u it should work for me huh Lol!
It should! Make sure your off contact is about the thickness of 2 quarters. I currently use a 70/90/70 squeegee, but we used a 70 for years with no problem. You can go down to a 60 to push more ink through, but be careful not to wash out halftones.
Ripcord likes this.

Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 12:19:09 PM -   #9 (permalink)
Certified T-Shirt Junkie

You can call me: Neil
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Grafix
I currently use a 70/90/70 squeegee
I use these as well. It has a perfect stiff feel without having a hard edge.

Since my original answer I posted the video I mentioned. It shows me printing with some particularly thick ink. Watch it to learn how I do it when I'm having trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vefhrBxIWo&t=4s
PatWibble likes this.

Old November 21st, 2018 Nov 21, 2018 1:04:20 PM -   #10 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

[QUOTE=Ripcord;4409771]I use these as well. It has a perfect stiff feel without having a hard edge.
QUOTE]

I love them. We bought one a few years ago to try out and ended up switching most of our squeegees out for the 70/90/70's shortly after.
Ripcord likes this.

Old November 27th, 2018 Nov 27, 2018 12:43:13 PM -   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

I have used quite a few whites per recommendations and none of them come close to Ryonet/Wilflex Epic Lava Perfect White in my opinion. I do use a drill with a mixer and take my time there. By the time it makes it to the press it is well creamy enough. Using nothing higher than a 230 mesh count for white I get great results. You can sometimes get it to where you can get a one hit white, but I dont like chancing the print quality so I just p/f/p to ensure good coverage.

Oh and there is that new Fusion 180 low temp cure ink out now that I hear the white is very creamy out of the container. I have a sample of it, but havent opened it yet. I like the idea of low temp curing, but the cure time was really long. I dont want to have to set my dryer belt speed that slow. I dont know about that stuff yet. Ive heard great things though.

Old November 29th, 2018 Nov 29, 2018 8:41:28 PM -   #12 (permalink)
T-Shirt Lover
T-Shirt Aficionado

You can call me: Hero

Work the ink up well, "cream like". Prior to placing on screen's.

Old December 19th, 2018 Dec 19, 2018 2:23:15 PM -   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member
T-Shirt Apprentice

Wilfex Epic Bright Tiger is the closest thing to a single stoke white ink in existence. For manual printing I would say its worth the extra bucks to save your wrists. We've printed about every brand of white there is. LAVA is ok but still very thick for manual printing(its the same as Wilflex Amazing Bright White just relabeled for Ryonet). We've had success with Rutland Street Fighter and IC Legacy White as well.

With an automatic it is less of a concern because rbots dont feel pain, we usually get a 5 gallon of amazing bright white and call it a day, but we always keep a gallon or two of epic bright tiger in case we have to use the manual press.

Also check the temp in your shop, if you are in a colder place plastisol will be more like a taffy than an ink. Try putting it on top of your conveyor dryer for 10 minutes before agitating to warm it up.

The Following User Says Thank You to paradoxsc For This Useful Post:
DaveSehl (December 20th, 2018)

This is a discussion about white so thick that was posted in the Plastisol Ink Screen Printing section of the forums.

Quick Reply
Type Your Message Below:
Do NOT Post Self Promotional URLs, Advertisements, Sales Offers or Requests. It is against our Forum Guidelines.
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the T-Shirt Forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Your username must be between 2 and 16 characters and contain only letters and numbers (no special characters like hyphens, *, ', ~, etc)
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A confirmation email will be sent to this address, so please make sure it is accurate and that your email software is set to allow emails from our domain: t-shirtforums.com (sometimes the confirmation email gets accidently filtered into Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail/Gmail spam folders)

You won't be able to post until your email address has been confirmed. We take your privacy very seriously. Feel free to review our Privacy Policy in a new window.
Email Address:
First Name
It's nice to be able to be on a "first name" basis with the people you talk to in a forum. This is a totally optional field; if you like being on a first name basis, please enter your first name below :)

Log-in